Shared Music won't Load in iTunes

10.4 release of iTunes disabled video streaming. 10.5 changed authentication, so the problem has not always been there. The new code will allow for music streaming, but video streaming is not supported.

Same problem here and would love to be notified when firmware release is available as this really is a pain.

WDTony wrote:

This issue should be resolved in the next firmware update for the My Book Live. Timing on it - well I don’t want to say an exact time as these things always change, but “should be” less than a month away.

I got Itunes working trough these steps:

1. apt-get update

2. apt-get install forked-daapd → this will give an error, but can be fixed using the dpkg --force option

3.  dpkg --force-all -i  /var/cache/apt/archives/forked-daapd_0.12~git0.11-125-gca72ee5-3_powerpc.deb

4. Edit the dbus start file:  /etc/init.d/dbus to work around the avahi and dbus deamon errors

change this section

start_it_up() {   if [! -d $PIDDIR]; then     mkdir -p $PIDDIR     chown $DAEMONUSER $PIDDIR     chgrp $DAEMONUSER $PIDDIR   fi

to

start_it_up() {   if [! -d $PIDDIR]; then     mkdir -p $PIDDIR     chown $DAEMONUSER $PIDDIR     chgrp $DAEMONUSER $PIDDIR     chmod ugo+rwx $PIDDIR   fi

and

change this section

create_machineid

log_daemon_msg “Starting $DESC” “$NAME”   start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE \     --user $DAEMONUSER --exec $DAEMON – --system $PARAMS   log_end_msg $?   if [-d $EVENTDIR]; then       run-parts --arg=start $EVENTDIR || true   fi   dependent_services start  }

to

create_machineid

log_daemon_msg “Starting $DESC” “$NAME”   start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE \     --user $DAEMONUSER --exec $DAEMON – --system $PARAMS   log_end_msg $?   if [-d $EVENTDIR]; then       run-parts --arg=start $EVENTDIR || true   fi   dependent_services start  /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start  /etc/init.d/forked-daapd start }

1. delete the previous database:

rm /CacheVolume/forked-daapd/songs3.db

1. restart dbus, start avahi and start forked-daapd

/etc/init.d/dbus restart

/etc/init.d/forked-daapd start

itunes 10.4 should work now  and play flac files as well

1. To get itunes 10.5 to work easely update to the backported latest version of forked-daapd and install its dependencies:

wget http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/pool/main/f/forked-daapd/forked-daapd_0.19-1~bpo60+1_powerpc.deb

dpkg -i --force-all  forked-daapd_0.19-1~bpo60+1_powerpc.deb

The database will be automatically updated to the lastest version of forked-daapd

If you reboot your mybooklive forked-daapd will be automatically started.

Hi,

could you explain that a little more simple, please?

I have no Idea what you are talking about, but I really need my shared music!! :wink:

Thanks!

that guy is linux-savvy or got the fix from someone else that is … not all of us here are IT linux guys, so wait for wd to release firmware to fix this. it looks like wd just got a meal ticket with that post … i’ve messed with linux in the past and in my experience even an avid windows user can screw something up if they do not know what each command and parameter they issue is doing to the operating system.

Or, roll back your system to iTunes 10.4.

If course, if you updated your iPad/iPod/iPhone to IOS 5.x that’s not an option…  :smileyvery-happy:

Good news, bad news…

The good news is that I’ve discovered I’m not as inept as I thought I was. Nothing like finding out everyone else has the same problem to make you feel warm all over.

The bad news is MY iTunes library won’t load either. (Grrrrrrrr…) 

I do hope WD gets this fixed soon, because my growing iTunes library was the main reason I bought their drive. Right now its serving as a redundant backup/ad-hoc nightlight.

:smileyvery-happy:

Exactly my meaning!!

you dont actually need the itunes server feature enabled or operable in order to put ur library on the NAS and have itunes use it … all you have to do is move the entire library and the itunes library files to a folder on the NAS. then delete the old library location. when you start itunes it will ask you to choose the location of the library, just point it to where you put it on the NAS. then just make sure that in itunes preferences/advanced the correct location is reflected. itunes server on the NAS is for those who want to share thier music with other itunes clients on the network. so it will not be recognized as a primary library since the media is appearing under ‘shared’ in itunes.

That’s done already!

But I do need access to the library read-only via iTunes-server from the computer of my son!

I’m running the forked-daapd_0.12~git0.11-125-gca72ee5-3_powerpc.deb version on itunes 10.4 now for serveral days. I must say - very stable! It even plays high bitrate flac files since i changed the forked-daapd.conf file (always transcode flac and ogg files)

I also tried forked-daapd_0.19-1~bpo60+1_powerpc.deb, it runs with itunes 10.5 but not stable. After a few songs the connection between the server and itunes is lost… Probably i have to upgrade Avahi and dbus deamons, but don’t want to change the MBL software to much.

Yeah, I’m another who wants this fixed ASAP, so I’m just subscribing to this thread to get the latest updates from WD on the issue.

I must confess to being pleased to discover I’m not the only one!

When are you going to fix this?

Thank you

We are targetting this month to get the release out. Hopefully earlier in the month than later. I don’t want to put an exact date as I got burned on that before :slight_smile:

Great to hear as my Live Book is less than 24 hours old and already thinking of returning it.

at what stage is the preparation of new software. when can we expect updates…

What a product. No working itunes service, no reliable time machine support, no quick respone to Apple updates, no official information about firmware updates in progress nor an anncouncement of a release date.

i am in some way disappointed. it is not worth the money right now. 

WD, please be more transparent on what you do and when we can expect to have a good working product again. If you want us as satisfied custumers on a long term.

i would appreciate that.

We have a pretty big update coming - As I said, hopefully before the end of the month. Best case is today - worst case will be after the Thanksgiving holiday period.

… or today?  :)

haha - yea… We had a couple last minute issues we were trying to resolve. If we did not hit today, we would have had to wait until next week.