Scheduled timeframes for WD operation

I need to be able to run my mybooklive only at nighttime for backups.

During the day, WDDM service and WD Device manager routines **bleep** up as much bandwidth as my browser or a game. I do not need it except for backups. I cannot find anything in the WD smartware that allows me to set time windows for operation. The times sleep is not helpful, since it is always active and therefore sleep never kicks in.

Can someone point me to a way to configure this on smartware, or an alternative operating system that will work? Thanks

If you know how to use Linux, then you can put a line in the cronjob to do what you are looking for.   Search around this site and linux sites and you will find the details of what you want.

Just about any other backup system allows setting a schedule for backups.   Acronis True Image is what I use…

Well, I don’t know how to write code in linux. Seems silly that I would have to.

The problem is, even if I completely disable any backups scheduled, the WD services still take massive amounts of bandwidth–it is not the backup process that is the problem.

Or would acronis rewrite the whole drive and delete those processes? Thanks for the info!

zoealleyne wrote:

… the WD services still take massive amounts of bandwidth…

I’m not understanding what you’re talking about.   No WD services except for backups take ANY but a tiny amount of bandwidth.

Exactly what are you seeing that suggests otherwise?

wddm drive manager and wd service were using around 40-240 kb/sec constantly. You will find other posts describing this problem in the software section of the forum. No one who posted got any resolution. it spikes up to nearly 50 percent of my cpu as well. Enough to get me thrown out of games and cause pauses in my roku.  All this with the backups disabled.

I have worked around this problem (I hope) by having my wifi router block mybook entirely from the network except between midnight and 6 am. This is obviously not a preferred solution, but it appears that although the problem exists for many, no one in WD has an answer.I really wish I had read more of the complaints on this forum before buying.

zoealleyne wrote:

wddm drive manager and wd service were using around 40-240 kb/sec

Heheh…  If that’s “Massive bandwidth” usage, then I stand corrected.   :laughing:

zoealleyne wrote:

I have worked around this problem (I hope) by having my wifi router block mybook entirely from the network

Why not just remove the Manager software??    I have 6 WD NASes on my network and never saw the need for the dashboard software.

Well my hope was to find a suitable alternative if the smartware did not allow for scheduling. Do you have any suggestions? I want to be able to turn the whole thing one/off on a schedule.

Derr now I see the reason for your amusement. I meant 20-40 mbps. I’m capped at 40, so it is a big deal.

zoealleyne wrote:

Derr now I see the reason for your amusement. I meant 20-40 mbps. I’m capped at 40, so it is a big deal.

Smartware doesn’t use internet bandwidth.

So apparently I am using the wrong jargon.Nevertheless, there are several recent posts decribing my same problem, none of which have appeared to get any satisfactory resolution.

Instead of nitpicking, how about answering my question.

How do I set up timeframes for WD operation?

Alternately, how do I remove WD smartware from the drive?

zoealleyne wrote:

Instead of nitpicking, how about answering my question…

Alternately, how do I remove WD smartware from the drive?

I’m not nitpicking.  If you’re incapable of asking a proper question, don’t get bent out of sorts when you don’t get an answer you like.

You don’t remove WD Smartware from the drive.  It’s not installed on the drive.  It’s installed on your computer (that is, if you installed it…)

And I already answered your question.   If, in fact, you’re using SmartWare for backups, it, too, supports scheduled backups and is described in the SmartWare documentation.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf

zoealleyne wrote:

…there are several recent posts decribing my same problem, none of which have appeared to get any satisfactory resolution.

Can you link to some of these posts?   Perhaps that will give additional context to your problem.