Scans are now a permanent feature, cannot disable

Resolved in second post…

Original problem…

So you know how I keep stopping the scans… and how WD keeps starting it up… repeatedly as though they are fighting against the user thinking that they know better?

Now with BusyBox there is absolutely no way to stop the scans…

So what happens is this… I have enabled Cloud access… with two USB drive connected via a USB 3.0 unpowered Hub. It is working beautifully… with all scans stopped.

I sat down out on my terrace, relaxing and decided to try the cloud access…

I got in… and was trying to figure out which movie to watch… and guess what happened…

yup… the scans started up… and all .****… broke lose… the cloud was locked… dead… yup scans were locking up everything.

No WD you are not getting the logs…

and

I’ll will not trade my new cloud for a refurbish one…

I had to pull the plug…

So now what? do I not have cloud access if I have USB drives connected? and even if I do not have a USB Drive connected, the scans starts up as soon as I access the drive via the cloud anyways.

Now what? I was going to go back to having one cloud and one USB backup, but now this happens.

So WD… I don’t think my setup will work all because you insist on turning on the scans as soon as we have cloud access. With the USB drive attached and scans going on, your new BusyBox system locks the Cloud of which this problem is now a 3 year old problem

and it is exacerbated by the fact that busybox really won’t let us shut the scans completely as well as you won’t fix it so we can turn off the scans and have cloud access also.

Are you going to fix this? or do we really need to walk away…

I really don’t think you are going to fix this… because it has been 3 years, so I don’t know…

really really disappointed…

Alright… I think this might work… I’m letting the scans happen as WD wants it to… not fighting it anymore… I can hear the scans working its little butte off… clickity clickity click click…

I’ve plugged in one USB drive at the moment… and the cloud is scanning I guess everything… which is about 6TB of movies, photos, music and epubs.

The neat thing about this at the moment is that, although it is really sluggish… like my movie would start up after the revolving wheel spins many times, that the movie would eventually start up…

no locking… except a lot of clicking…

fine… I’ll be a normal Cloud user…

edit: I’m asking for trouble but I plugged in the second USB drive to see how well the Cloud will handle this, if I let it do its job. I don’t know if I’m happy with this continuous scan thing ever since WD Live in which the scans never stops. I have to admit at least the system is working, which is why the number of problem posts have dropped. So I guess I should just leave the drive on 24/7 and just turn off the LED, put a soundproof cover over it or just ignore the eternal clicking.

edit: I plugged in a 3rd USB hard drive :stuck_out_tongue: and yeah… the cloud is blinking? wtf? I don’t recall having a blinking cloud led? is that a hard drive access blink? wow… we got the hard drive access LED back!! we lost that feature with the first cloud gen 1.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this.

Another undocumented feature…?

There’s no mention of blinking front panel LED for disk access in the Gen2 user manual…

I don’t see the blinking led when I do file copy though… the blinking led seems to occur only when scanning or maybe only when a USB drive is connected and it doesn’t know what to do? after I removed all USB drives by ejecting them… the blinking led stopped but that I had associated with scanning as the clickity clicks stopped also.

This is all so confusing :stuck_out_tongue:

Back 3 years ago, I remember when scans were so insidious they had a patch that actually stopped the scans until you reboot. So if you reboot while the scans locked your device, you actually don’t get any scans at all and everyone thought that they fixed the problem, that is, until the user reboots again and everything came to a crawl once again when the scans started again.

The scans are in an on and off mode depending on what I do but the blinking light always seems to accompany the scans now. It could be a scan indicator rather than a disk access indicator.

They seem to have changed the led’s on the gen2. The normal colors are green, blue and white.
The warn colors are red, white, yellow and blue. Yellow blink is either a warning or an error. The only other blink is for disk I/O. But the led is green/blink for disk I/O.

You can see these values in the file /usr/local/sbin/LedConfig.sh

RAC

Rac are you quoting from a Gen2 device? did you buy one?

if you are quoting from a gen 1 LedConfig.sh, I doubt that disk i/o will be an LedConfig since i/o would be an interruptive process rather than a static status light (just guessing). :stuck_out_tongue:

Back in gen 1, I was looking for a disk I/O and I ended up writing a script for it… I think if you did a search for it you should find my script on this forum. However, it consumed too much cpu since I had to check the hd bits for writes, but it worked. I even set the script to nice 19 so it wasn’t as demanding.

Currently with simple copying from one cloud to another cloud, I do not see a blinking i/o led light; although it could be blinking so fast that it is a steady blue light since I am, once again, copying 5TB to my backup cloud.

I’m quoting from the gen2 device. No I didn’t buy a gen2 device. I downloaded the source. Then
I found the file LedConfig.sh. It definitely is different than the gen1 file. Not sure what a green led looks like. But under normal operation it is supposed to be green.

RAC

too bad… was hoping you can hack this device up for us.

I think green looks blue then :stuck_out_tongue: same as white looking yellow and red looking orange…

Not according to the manuals… Green has never been a valid front panel colour pre-OS3 (white, blue, yellow, red), OS3 (white, blue, red) or v2 (blue, red).

The code below comes from the ledConfig.sh script located at /usr/local/sbin. These contain 16 different options for color and mode. They are indexed by the following:
# Define LED events
LED_EV_SYSTEM=0
LED_EV_DISK_SMART=1
LED_EV_DISK_IO=2
LED_EV_RAID_CFG=3
LED_EV_FW_UPDATE=4
LED_EV_NETWORK=5
LED_EV_DISK_STBY=6
LED_EV_HALT=7
LED_EV_THERMO=8
LED_EV_VOLUME=9
LED_EV_DISK_LOW_CAP=10
LED_EV_DISK_UNSUPPORTED=11
LED_EV_DEGRADED_MIR=12
LED_EV_MASTER_INST=13
LED_EV_FRESH_INST=14
LED_EV_VFT_HALT=15

# Normal color map 0 --------------------------------------5-------------------------------------10
---------------12---------------------15
LED_NORMAL_MODE=( “on” “on” “blink” “on” “on” “on” “on” “off” “on” “on” "on
" “on” “on” “on” “on” “on”)
LED_NORMAL_COLOR=( “green” “green” “green” “green” “green” “green” “green” “off” “green” “green” “green” “green” “green” “green” “blue” “white”)
# Error color maps
# 0-----------------------------5--------------------------------10-----------12 ----
LED_ERR_MODE=( “on” “on” “on” “on” “on” “blink” “on” “off” “on” “on” “on” “on” “blink”
“on” “on” “on”)
LED_ERR_COLOR=( “red” “red” “red” “red” “red” “yellow” “red” “off” “red” “red” “red” “red” “yellow” “red” “red” “white”)
\ Warning color maps
# 0--------------------------------5------------------------------------10----------
-12 --------------------15
LED_WARN_MODE=( “on” “on” “on” “on” “on” “blink” “on” “off” “blink” “on” “on” “on” “b
link” “on” “on” “on”)
LED_WARN_COLOR=( “red” “red” “red” “red” “white” “yellow” “blue” “off” “yellow” “red” “red” “red” “yellow” “white” “white” “white”)

So the color for LED_EV_NETWORK=5 is yellow blink . Each array starts with 0. This code is different than the code on the gen1.

RAC