Safepoint failure since FW upgrade

I do not understand what’s going on. After days of not being able to make a successful safepoint and having a unsuccessful session with Customer Support on Tuesday this morning things seem to be improving.

Made one small manual and one small auto safepoint. Am currently running a larger one (210 GB).

Customer Support is calling me this afternoon to follow up from Tuesday.

My safepoints were working fine eventually with firmware v4.0. I am working on downgrading to v3.0 as the shares are dropping (which was not the case with v3.0).

So Customer Suppor called. They reinstalled FW 4.00 by SSH and safepoint is back to failing, time of notifications still out by 3 hours. . 

When will WD acknowledge that this FW is buggy? 

Had similar issue… took WDMYBook plugged into WDMYCloud and plugged it into PC ran check disk and plugged it back in to WDMYCloud and problems resolved…hopefully this helps… 

I think Etupes works for WD, every time some one has a problem with safepoints Etupe answers to them, but if you read all the listing, no one is really solved , so please Etupes stop saying to people what they should do and ask WD a real solution. I think we all must create a viral youtube video, I have some ideas like this guy  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo perhaps is the only way they will learn.

#unitedbreaksguitars #WDsafepointsneverworks #36323 #1102

Hey, no need to get personal here. I don’t work for WD, period. If you want to talk to WD, go to their customer support. Good luck.

Etupes , I talk many times with them and people in WD support was very kind even they change mybooklive for mycloud, but this don’t solve the problem there are many users claiming for this, the solution must come from WD quality team, support  team can’t make nothing if product is bad design, this product is for home use, and I want to know if someone here make a safepoint several times between MYclouds. Sure not.

I was in computer business all my live so I’m not a basic user.

So hope some people of WD will answer all of us. Anyhow I start designing a nice video for youtube hope to have time this summer time for finnish like #unitedbrakegitars

One thing I noticed is that there is a typo in the directory name in the new firmware in 

/var/www/htdocs/UI/stubs

the directory : safepiont_files  should be named safepoint_files according to the scripts that use it.

1 Like

Did anyone ever get this fixed.  I am having the issue in trying to back up a mycloud to a Livebook.  

Having the same problem:

Your safepoint cannot be updated due to a failed request. Please try again. (36323)

Using a 3TB MyCould with a 3TB MyBook connected to its USB port.

I have continuous backups running using Smartware, so I thought that the limited RAM onboard might cause failure if those files were updating during the Safepoint operation. Disabled all backups and tried to “update” my “invalid Safepoint”. Still the above error.

Anyone have any success yet?

WD, when will the firmware be updated? This has been a rampant issue in the forums for the better part of a year.

I’m having the identical problem.  Any solutions?

Hi, I was having the very same problem until I reverted back to V3 firmware, now everything is fine and working as it should do,

Take a look at this, this worked just fine for me

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Easy-method-to-downgrade-to-previous-version-of-the-firmware/m-p/773073

Using FW : WDMyCloud v04.04.01-112 : Core F/W

I fixed my safepoint creations by eliminating, or renaming, all files in the shares which matched

$ LC_ALL=C find . -name ‘[! -~]

The safepoint creation then progressed beyond the error “Your safepoint cannot be updated due to failed request. Please try again (36323).” only to give:

Status: FAILED; 3060925452344324235345*****************: Failed to create system config tar file '/media/WDSAFE/3060925452344324235345*****************//_WDPROT/WDSAFE/${SPName}/system/system.info

I created /WDSAFE/3060925452344324235345*****************//_WDPROT/WDSAFE/${SPName}/system

I also linked the safepiont directory misspelling to the correct spelling safepoint (thanks supercp)

It all seems to work now (once so far), haven’t tried a restore though. I wonder if there is a new SPID ? 3060925452344324235345***************** whether the same issues will be repeated.

I really wish WD would address this issue instead of pretending it doesn’t exist. Maybe if they just stick their heads in the sand until the next release it will go away… NOT! Since 4.0 release it has been disastrous, and WD pretends that the issue must only lie with individuals, not their software.

WD STEP UP!!!

1 Like

OOH… THat’s CUTE!!

I notice it’s still there, too (194 days after your posting in this very dead, but now resurrected - Halleluia!) thread - after the most recent mushware oops excuse me firmware upgrade.

That Will cause scripts “/var/www/htdocs/UI/stubs/safepoints.php” and “/var/www/htdocs/UI/stubs/safepoints.php” to barf… Inquiring minds want to know, what’s the effect of that? I’m off trying to debug a failing safepoint AND a hosed “Help” file system, so it’s a little suspicious with this being buried down in a “Docs” directory… Hmmm…

Where are those two scripts used??

And HOW did you notice that picayune little anomaly? (YOU’RE HIRED, dude… it’s the little things that count…)

And since I had to use ssh root access to fix the file name, will WD still void my warranty for using SSH to fix their bug that they’ve left in there for… how long?

Hi Diagoras,

When I was looking at all this stuff, I pretty much traced every scripts in there and debugged some of them.
I did this because I had hosed totally my unit with a flaky firmware upgrade from WD. So I took my multimeter and scope
and searched for the serial port to get console which I found and soldered some serial cable, used then barebox to reflash an older firmware and along the way found all kinds of “things” in the firmware and the way they had compiled their armv7 code etc…

Hi can anyone help, similar problem! I have never been able to create a safe point! The system doesn’t seem to recognise my pc say and just comes up retrieving shares and nothing else. Anything I plug in the USB seems to work for a while then comes up “error 36127” insufficient space. I have about 1.8 T to back up. I thought that a back up only takes a snippet of information so you don’t need the same amount of memory for the back up? Otherwise you might as well just buy another hard drive and back it up separately! Does anyone know how much memory you need on a USB device to back up files ?
Thanks Craig

Errr… No.

A backup is a complete, byte-for-byte copy of each master file. So your backup disk needs to be the same size as your master drive.

How large is the hard drive your trying to back up to? It has to be the same size or large as the amount of content on the My Cloud you are attempting to backup with Safepoint.

Generally the way Safepoint works is the very first backup you setup and initiate will backup everything on the My Cloud. This is always the biggest and longest time backup. Once the initial Safepoint is created each subsequent Safepoint backup only backs up new and changed files (and removes files that have been deleted from the My Cloud from the backup location).

Thanks, :blush: