Rsync syntax to target WDmycloud share directory as destination

I am in the middle of a Drupal 6 to 7 database upgrade using a dedicated development server running Centos 7 and would like to use my 4TB MyCloud NAS for version control and backup of project files. I would like to use rsync for file-level project backup but am unsure of the appropriate rsync syntax to target the destination public share on the MyCloud device.

When I create a new public share “testshare” using the WDmycloud admin web portal, and examine the wdmycloud file system using winscp, I see the following files and symbolic links are created:

• file - /mnt/HD/HD_a2/testshare
  • symlink - /shares/testshare/

When using rsync to transfer files from another computer on the LAN, what is the property rsync syntax to use to target say the ‘backup’ folder on the WDmycloud’s ‘testshare’? When I create a ‘backup’ directory in the ‘testshare’ share, it seems like two different endpoint references are available:

• winscp shows the path to be: /mnt/HD/HD_a2/testshare/backup/
  • but in the file tree it looks like: /shares/testshare/backup/

I have only been able to rsync to the MyCloud as root, and can use the following syntax to rsync into the wdmycloud file system:

rsync -av file*.* root@10.0.0.5:/shares/testshare/backup/
  • Is this the correct syntax for specifying a WDmycloud share folder as an rsync destination or should I use the /mnt path?

• Is there a way for users other than root to rsync into the WDmycloud?

• I have been doing this without rsyncd running on the MyCloud. Is this OK?

There are several previous discussions on using Rsync to copy from one My Cloud to another that can be found using the subforum search feature, magnifying glass icon upper right. Here is one such discussion:

https://community.wd.com/t/success-3-rsync-backup-between-my-cloud-devices/93945

Currently I belive that the SSH access is confined to the “root” account. One would most likely have to edit the SSH config file to allow for more users/accounts. Again there are several discussions on this issue that can be found using the forum search feature. Here is one such discussion (see the posts near the end):

https://community.wd.com/t/remote-ssh-for-users/95482/