Rolling back the firmware

Hi all,

I recently updated the firmware on my WDTV Live Streaming and like others, I can no longer watch mkv files. I would like to rollback the firmware to the version previous but I am having trouble. 

  1. download and place 4 firmware files onto USD (no sub folders)

  2. start WDTV Live and wait until I get to the home screen

  3. insert USB

I don’t get a pop-up asking if I want to sync the USB, instead it says something like “getting content info”. After it’s been read, I scroll the tabs, but do not see a “New Firmware” tab.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

If you have a WDTV Live Streaming Player rollback firmware only contains 3 files

 

wdtvlivegen3.bin

wdtvlivegen3.fff

wdtvlivegen3.ver

 

If you have a WDTV Live Hub rollback firmware contains 4 files

wdtvlivehub.bin

wdtvlivehub.fff

wdtvlivehub.ver

wdtvlivehub.bi2

Sounds like you have downloaded the wrong firmware for your device.

Thank you, but it looks like there are four files:

wdtvlivegen3.bin

wdtvlivegen3.fff

wdtvlivegen3.ver

wdtvlivegen3.info

Even the official FAQ says four files:  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_g3

Do you have a link for the three file version?

Correct, the official 1.16.13 and 1.15.10 have four files:

wdtvlivegen3.bin

wdtvlivegen3.fff

wdtvlivegen3.ver

wdtvlivegen3.info

so the rollback will probably too. You can do your own rollback by changing the version number in the ver file to something higher than currently installed like 2.16.13 or whatever. I’m curious if it’ll do you any good though. So far everyone claiming that a new firmware suddenly stopped playing their files that worked fine with a previous firmware also complained about seeing no improvement after rolling back to the old firmware either. When asked about details they suddenly stop responding so this issue has never been tracked down properly. It’ll be interesting to know, how it turns out for you.

I can play all MKVs with the latest firmware and as long as you don’t access them from a network, you should too.

Rollback Firmware from this link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live

Firmware Ver. 1.15.10   has only 3 files

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_rollback_1.15.10.zip

Firmware Ver. 1.14.09  also only 3 files …etc

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/Rollback_wdtvgen3_release_1.14.09.zip

So, my original reply was based on the brief information you supplied.

 that said, i’m unaware if the wdtvlivegen3.info file is crucial (being a simple info file)

If you running Firmware 1.16.13 … and you dowload Rollback 1.15.10 there is no need the edit the *.ver files as it’s number is higher than your current firmware.

(Contents of wdtvlivegen3.ver from 1.15.10 link above)

VERSION=‘3.15.10’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2=’’

Techflaws wrote:

Correct, the official 1.16.13 and 1.15.10 have four files:

 

wdtvlivegen3.bin

wdtvlivegen3.fff

wdtvlivegen3.ver

wdtvlivegen3.info

 

so the rollback will probably too. You can do your own rollback by changing the version number in the ver file to something higher than currently installed like 2.16.13 or whatever. I’m curious if it’ll do you any good though. So far everyone claiming that a new firmware suddenly stopped playing their files that worked fine with a previous firmware also complained about seeing no improvement after rolling back to the old firmware either. When asked about details they suddenly stop responding so this issue has never been tracked down properly. It’ll be interesting to know, how it turns out for you.

 

I can play all MKVs with the latest firmware and as long as you don’t access them from a network, you should too.

Thanks, problem is, the WDTV is connected wirelessly to my NAS. Hopefully with the rollback, I’d be able to play the MKVs from my network again. :confounded:

JoeySmyth wrote:

Rollback Firmware from this link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live

 

Firmware Ver. 1.15.10   has only 3 files

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_rollback_1.15.10.zip

Firmware Ver. 1.14.09  also only 3 files …etc

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/Rollback_wdtvgen3_release_1.14.09.zip

 

So, my original reply was based on the brief information you supplied.

 that said, i’m unaware if the wdtvlivegen3.info file is crucial (being a simple info file)

 

If you running Firmware 1.16.13 … and you dowload Rollback 1.15.10 there is no need the edit the *.ver files as it’s number is higher than your current firmware.

 

(Contents of wdtvlivegen3.ver from 1.15.10 link above)

VERSION=‘3.15.10’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2=’’

Thanks again. I’ll try this link when I get home.

The problem is, in the tutorial, I don’t see step 5:

“You will receive a popup asking you to confirm that you would like to sync your USB drive with your passport. Highlight  Cancel  and press  OK  on your remote.”

James, don’t worry about Step 5.  (i have “Sync” disabled and have rolled  back many times)

i would double check you have “New Firmware Notification” enabled

Setup > System > Auto Detect New Firmware > On

 

and if / when you successfully Roll Back your Firmware … it’s highly advised to do a “Factory Reset”

 

Setup > System > Device Reset > Reset All Settings Back to Factory Default

 

JoeySmyth wrote:

James, don’t worry about Step 5.  (i have “Sync” disabled and have rolled  back many times)

 

i would double check you have “New Firmware Notification” enabled

 

Setup > System > Auto Detect New Firmware > On

 

and if / when you successfully Roll Back your Firmware … it’s highly advised to do a “Factory Reset”

 

Setup > System > Device Reset > Reset All Settings Back to Factory Default

 

Thanks! I did a factory reset first, then inserted the USB and the “New Firmware” tab showed up. I rolledback to the previous FW and I still cannot read MKV from my NAS. What a disaster! :angry:

try the factory reset “after” you have rolled back

Yup. I tried the factory reset again and this time only got sound and no picture.

Hi all, 1st post & I really regret reading this stuff…

Ya know I just ordered one of these boxes, but after reading here I may just wait and see on the next firmware update. Starting to sound like a major pain just to get it going now…  

So is the 1.15.10 the most stable roll back firmware to download use at this point guys???

It depends, are you gonna use Wifi? I’m watching MKVs via USB and SMB (wired) and they play back just fine on 1.06.13. So far the cause for people having trouble with MKVs hasn’t been determined.

What is the bit depth of the mkv files that you say won’t play. As per the post in the link below, the SMP won’t play mkv’s with a bit depth of 10.   8 is the maximum allowed.  I have never had a problem playing mkv’s on the SMP.

Use a program called MediaInfo to check the bit depth of your files.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Cannot-play-mkv-with-10-bit-encoding/idi-p/545754

Where do you get your mkv files from.

Are you saying that the files used to play and now they don’t or its just newer files which you have never played that you are having problems with.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Mediainfo free - untick boxes if you don’t want the extras.

Techflaws wrote:

It depends, are you gonna use Wifi? I’m watching MKVs via USB and SMB (wired) and they play back just fine on 1.06.13. So far the cause for people having trouble with MKVs hasn’t been determined.

ok cant find 1.06.13 on the roll back list. Did u mean 1.16.13 (the latest) Techflaws?

richUK wrote:

Where do you get your mkv files from.

Are you saying that the files used to play and now they don’t or its just newer files which you have never played that you are having problems with.

 

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

 

Mediainfo free - untick boxes if you don’t want the extras.

Hi, these are MKVs that have previously worked prior to the FW update. As another user pointed out, playing them from a USB works just fine. As a temp fix, I’ve been download the mkv from my NAS to my laptop and then copying the mkv to a USB. Such a pain since a 1 hour show is appox 2GB.

Yep, sorry I meant 1.16.13.

James, so to be clear: the very same MKVs worked before over Wifi? Like I wrote above, we’ve seen this mentioned before but it just makes no sense that a fallback to a previous firmware (including a reset to factory defaults afterwards) would not make them work again.

Techflaws wrote:

Yep, sorry I meant 1.16.13.

 

James, so to be clear: the very same MKVs worked before over Wifi? Like I wrote above, we’ve seen this mentioned before but it just makes no sense that a fallback to a previous firmware (including a reset to factory defaults afterwards) would not make them work again.

Yes…well, actually two things happened:

  1. NAS FW updated (first)

  2. WDTV FW updated

NAS old FW + WDTV old FW = worked

NAS new FW + WDTV old FW = worked

NAS new FW + WDTV new FW = not working

I don’t know…I’ll try reset to factory again and find out…

I know that this will not help you really, but:

I’m playing all my MKV files (differnt sources, differnt audio/video codecs) via network from NAS (Share, DLNA, Media Library) with no problems with the new firmware.

There is only this chapter skipping issue (no sound after skipping), that is in review by WD, that I still have. But playing, rewinding, ff, time-skip - no problems at all.

regards

DonCarracho