Resume play gone

After updating to firmware 1.05.04v for my WD Tv live media players ( I have two), I can no longer resume playback of movies after stopping play. Previous firmware prompted me to choose whether to play the file from the beginning or resume playback from the last playback position. Now, I always start from the beginning and it is a big nuisance.  Please advise. 

Issues like this are often resolved by doing a ‘reset’ to factory defaults.

n2d2ph wrote:

After updating to firmware 1.05.04v for my WD Tv live media players ( I have two), I can no longer resume playback of movies after stopping play. Previous firmware prompted me to choose whether to play the file from the beginning or resume playback from the last playback position. Now, I always start from the beginning and it is a big nuisance.  Please advise. 

If you’re playing back via NETWORK SHARES, you must give the Live WRITE access to the share so that it can save the resume point table.

where does it meant to save resume file to tonyph cos it dont work for me on NETWORK SHARES if i power off … then back on theres no resume

TonyPh12345 wrote:

n2d2ph wrote:

If you’re playing back via NETWORK SHARES, you must give the Live WRITE access to the share so that it can save the resume point table.

It saves it in a hidden file.

Your WDTV will need to have WRITE access to the share to be able to do that.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

It saves it in a hidden file.

Your WDTV will need to have WRITE access to the share to be able to do that.

i’m trying to do that tony. could you give me an example on how to give wd write access please i’m struggling…

my network share drive is my pc’s slave drive D: and has folders like music, tvseries , movies. etc

thanks al.

Right click on the share folder.   Select “Share with…”. then “Specific People…” and make sure the ID you share from is marked READ / WRITE.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Right click on the share folder.   Select “Share with…”. then “Specific People…” and make sure the ID you share from is marked READ / WRITE.

what do i choose myname, everyone, homegroup, guest. ?

Well, I would assume EVERYONE, if it’s already shared.    

You shouldn’t need to ADD anything, you should just need to modify the priviledge of the “account” that you’re already using.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Well, I would assume EVERYONE, if it’s already shared.    

You shouldn’t need to ADD anything, you should just need to modify the priviledge of the “account” that you’re already using.

my thoughts too tony but still nothing saved. does it save the files on the root of hdd or in the folder the media is in?

all seems ok then using my usb memory stick i see the folder & files saved to resume but i searched my hdd inc hidden files and theres nothing…

It creates a hidden folder named .wd_tv in the same folder as the movie file, and then adds a file into that folder named “video_resume_point_table”

the problem is not related to writing the resume info.  That info is kept in memory till the WDTV Live is power cycled.  ( Pulling the plug not just turning it off )  My WDTV Live Plus does it too.  Every time I power it off with the remove power button.  The WDTV Live Plus always power cycles it self.  So this creates two problems.  #1.  It Takes forever to start up.   and #2 the memory is flushed and you lose resume points.  The WDTV Live is not effected by this problem.  The WDTV Live Plus however is.  My WDTV Live is so fast.  Boots up within seconds…  find a movie… resume.  The WDTV Live Plus takes 15-20seconds to start up.  Then the resume video is gone and I have to research for my spot.  This needs to be fixed.

Dion250:  

That’s not true anymore.   That USED to be the case, but they changed that feature MANY months ago (december?) so that the behavior is to write a file to the NAS.

So, if the WD is unable to write a file, resume data is lost on shutdown. 

Even newer LIVE boxes made in the last 10 or 12 months (not just the LIVE PLUS) purge memory on shutdown.

Both boxes take approximately 50 seconds to boot now.

Hmmm not sure why you would make the product do that.  It makes it worse.  My WDTV Live was bought near launch so that can explain why its not effected.  Don’t fix what isnt broken imo.  This should still be re-looked at imo.

From what WD said a long time ago, the power changes were mandated by the european union.

The Live+ was always that way (the change came as they were designing the product)

but they had to retrofit the CURRENT products as well, the Live, and the older WD HD Gen 2.

The SAVE was the only workaround because there isn’t enough room in FLASH memory to save any significant number of resume points.

Well the WDTV Live Plus does keep it in memory still.  Because if will let me resume files until I power it off.  It’s just when it powers off via remote button.  It doesnt go into standby.  It completely shuts off.  The WDTV Live does not show this issue… It goes into standby fine.

Yeah, I understand that…  

But the answer to the OPs question is that resume will not work if the WD can’t write to the storage.  :)

If it can write to the storage, then ALL of these boxes can be fully shut down and not lose resume data.

Er,  that is what  @TonyPh12345 just said. What exactly did you understand?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yeah, I understand that…  

But the answer to the OPs question is that resume will not work if the WD can’t write to the storage.  :)

If it can write to the storage, then ALL of these boxes can be fully shut down and not lose resume data.

Ya that is correct. 

So basically your saying… The new power changes are the correct way and the unit power down completely and flushing the memory is the proper way?  If so what a shame.  saving resume spots to memory was one of the WDTV Live Plus ( and Live model ) best features.  Funny thing is it still does save to memory till a power off.  I Stream over Media Share not Network and Local so this was a huge help.  Guess I will have to find a new product that supports this properly like my Old WDTV Live model does or try to find an old model again. I will return this Live Plus to the store.  Thanks for the explanation on the power changes. 

well i made my hdd settings “read/write” still no resume files saved there… is there anything in setting i might have

overlooked please i’m pulling my hair out now lol whats left of it :slight_smile: