Remarkably poor Western Digital support

A month ago I bought a new 18 TB WD Gold drive direct from the Western Digital website. The drive was shipped UPS Ground in a typical retail delivery box, no over-box or added cushioning. It was DOA.
Then the fun began. For FIVE WEEKS now WD has not been able to create any RMAs. The service request got me this email:

" Please be informed that due to system maintenance, we are unable to process the RMA. Unfortunately, we cannot process your request at this time but will follow up with you once we are able to do so. We apologize for the delay and any inconvenience this has caused. "

I spent over $400, got a useless drive, probably because of inadequate packing, and Western Digital can’t do a thing to fix it. DO NOT BUY DIRECT FROM WESTERN DIGITAL. They will not address any customer issues.

Hi @jelecroy,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I have opened a support case. Here’s the response:

"As per the email received, I understand that you want to create RMA. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Please be informed that due to system maintenance, we are unable to process the RMA. Unfortunately, we cannot process your request at this time but will follow up with you once we are able to do so. We apologize for the delay and any inconvenience this has caused. "

Totally useless

I just bought an 18 TB WD gold HDD off of Amazon because the western digital website was down and the manufacture date is June 5, 2021.

What is the manufacturing date on your 18 TB WD gold HDD?

It was January 2023.
I expect that drive was okay WHEN IT WAS SHIPPED. but got beat up in shipping on the way here, because WD did not overpack at all. I finally got an RMA approved today, seven weeks after first request.