Problem setting-up My Cloud EX2 Ultra - 4TB on OSX El Capitan 10.11.3 (15D21)

Hi @Joerg_A and @mike27oct

I wasn’t actually sure, what have I done to make the My Cloud actually work for El Capitan, but it just did. Now I can have access to the interface and manage the service from the web-based environment.

Just to give a quick recap, of all the steps to make it work.

-1. I’m running El Capitan, on a Mac Book Air.
-2. Plug the electric cord and Ethernet directly to my MacBook Air (not yet to my home router).
-3. Since a MacBook Air doesn’t come with an Ethernet card, I might need an adapter from Ethernet to a USB one.
-4. Fire-up my terminal and see the IP address for the My Cloud EX2 Ultra, and directly have them typed on the browser (arp -a).
-5. Manually creating a login account interface and setup the necessary on the Settings tab.
-6. Creating an account at MyCloud.com to associate my device with the service.

Please take note that the 6th step is among the crucial part, cause somehow without that particular step, the connection-lost part, intermittently occurring all the time.

-7. Unplug the adapter, and put the Ethernet back directly to my router.
-8. And join my MackBook Air to the local WLAN (Wi-Fi) network.
-9. Now before you do anything to connect to the device from Wi-Fi, make sure you login first to the MyCloud.com site.

Again, as mentioned that additional step really does the trick. It somehow making the device’s connection a whole easier and recognizing the device.

-10. Now fire up your browser and login to http://192.168.1.10/ with your previously created username and password.
-11. The same thing, to have them available over the Finder (the explorer for Mac), I used the afp://192.168.1.10 so be sure to have them activated on the 5th step, make AFP (Apple File Protocol) service running.

I guess, that’s pretty much it, now I can easily have access to my device from the browser, the Finder, my mobile devices and the cloud. The method is not really that stable, mainly there are times the connection went off & I need to manually reconnect them from the Finder, while for the browser based connection, it’s pretty much going smooth so far.

Thanks for all the help @Joerg_A & @mike27oct

Cheers,
G

1 Like