Problem: Remote access of My Cloud NAS via My Cloud app

For a long time I have had issues connecting to My Cloud remotely via the My Cloud app of iPhone. Sometimes (most times) it works perfectly, and other times I get a popup that MC is not available. I can connect every time at home on home network.

I recently figured out the problem, when it was working fine, but after I rebooted the home router, remote access quit working. Ah ha, I thought, so problem has something to do with a reboot of router, but why? After some thought I concluded it is that when the router boots up again, the My Cloud regains the home network connection, but not the INTERNET portion of the connection. To test this, I used the Reboot button in my DL2100 dashboard, and rebooted the My Cloud. Sure enough, once the My Cloud finished its rebooting, the remote access returned to working normally.

For some reason the DL2100 loses the internet portion internally and it always takes a My Cloud reboot to regain it. It is as if an open port to the internet gets closed during router reboot, and only a My Cloud reboot brings it back to normal.

So, I have a solution to the problem, but I don’t like it – in that it required a reboot of the MC.

OK, My Cloud Experts, put on your thinking caps and help me find a better solution other than a MC reboot.
I am thinking it may take a firmware fix to keep an open port to the internet open at all times as long as the MC is powered on.

I’ve been explaining this problem for years… It’s one of the main reasons why people lose remote access.

Router reboot causes a change in IP address (provided by your ISP). This breaks the port forwarding connection.

Toggling Cloud Access off and on restores the connection.

The only way to stop it is to use a relay connection, rather than port forwarding, but that isn’t ideal…

Appreciate your insight. Since it is so easy to just reboot the router and cause the problem, I will have to do this and toggle cloud access to see if it fixes things on my DL2100 and NOT have to reboot the NAS. A “better” solution than rebooting NAS.
Later. . .
I fooled around with Cloud Access and got some mixed results, but likely was caused by my fooling around. I know the problem now, and how to fix it. That’s the bottom line. Thanks again!

Of course, it would be nice if the root problem could be sorted; you can’t toggle cloud access when you are remote from your device…

I know, but I cannot access my dashboard remotely anyway. I never set it up; maybe I should.

I will just need to check remote access before leaving the house if I anticipate remote use LOL.

Have you ever pestered WD to fix this crucial feature? If so, they likely ignored you as they have my requests.

Unfortunately, router reboots can happen at any time, due to a faulty line. I,'m currently trying to resolve a problem with my ISP that is causing my router to reboot very frequently. But they aren’t being very helpful…

I gave up trying to get any sense out of WD a long time ago; they aren’t concerned with fixing anything.

The problem has been going on for some time; looks like I might have got the fix from Nazar, who posted it in 2014.

https://community.wd.com/search?q=Cloud%20access%20toggle

Yep, router reboots we initiate, we know about, but others we don’t know about happen when we are away or asleep, Power failures cause reboots; even minor blips do. My NAS is connected to a small capacity UPS, so blips are covered but long time loss of power are not covered by my UPS. The router is not connected to a UPS, so it gets nailed. We know when power is off for longer than a split second, because our garage door opens slowly first time afterward.

The ones we don’t know about are the ones that happen while we are sleeping when the ISP turns off signal to do maintenance. I am up past midnight often, and I can see it happen often when Comcast shuts it off for an hour or so. If I had not been awake I would not know about it, because internet connection is always back on when we wake up in morning. Again, this can explain my not having remote access when I did before I went to bed. It can also explain a lot of your ISP problems, too!

Power is good here. Have swapped out the router and the PSU and removed all connected devices. I still get regular loss of the DSL signal, sometimes every few minutes. It’s a problem with the line or the exchange line card. But, due to the crazy nature of UK internet infrastructure, that equipment isn’t owned by my ISP, but by BT OpenReach, and my ISP seems reluctant to speak to them…

It does seem your drop outs are way to frequent. Are you still using DSL? Can’t you use soething more modern like an internet signal from a cable company? In my neighborhood in US, we have two to choose from. We get TV and internet from our cable company, Comcast. I have service one notch above most folks of 100mbps download.

DSL still predominates in the UK, due to the pre=existence of what was an excellent copper telephone network, with local exchanges (hence the government-sanctioned monopoly from the former nationally-owned British Telecom, now BT OpenReach). So ADSL allowed a relatively easy roll-out of 15M down/1M up. Fibre is slowly rolling out, but that’s still only to local cabinet, and very little direct fibre to the door. 70M is consdered very high speed. None of your South Korean or Singaporean gigabit fibre to the door here…

The obvious solution, since officially one cannot remote access the My Cloud Dashboard, is to use VPN to access one’s local network. Of course this involves setting up VPN which can be tricky depending on one’s hardware and network setup. Bonus points if one is using a DDNS capable router that also is a VPN server.

Obviously this kind of setup is beyond the reach of the average joe and it does not do any good if one is already on the road with no way, or no one, to reach the home network to either enable/setup VPN or trigger the Dashboard Remote Access toggle switch.

Bennor,

My Asus RT-N66U has a feature for setting up a VPN Server and VPN Client, But I never felt it necessary to do so. It sounds like what you say makes it necessary for me to access the MC dashboard to reboot the thing. I have a replacement, new, exact same router to exchange the current one for (ii has periodic wi-fi issues.) After doing this might be the best time to fool with the VPN.

If the RT-N66U supports being an OpenVPN server then its a relatively simple matter of setting up the router to serve as a OpenVPN server. One would then use an OpenVPN client.

One can download the OpenVPN client software for; Windows, Mac, Android, iOS at: https://openvpn.net/

I played around with setting up and using an OpenVPN tunnel on a Asus RT-AC86U router. I was able to successfully access my My Cloud Dashboard from a remote location using my PC and Android smartphone using the OpenVPN client software/app.

There are plenty of “How To’s” online for setting up OpenVPN server/client on the internet.

Of course the main issue with VPN as with any remote connection to the My Cloud is upload/download speed. Depending on the upload speed at the My Cloud location one may not be able to effectively stream content through the VPN tunnel to one’s remote location.

One can use a DDNS service to help keep access to their local network’s broadband IP address if that IP address changes for what ever reason. Certain routers have DDNS support built in.

I’m having this issue (ISP changing IP). Do you have any bash script that I can use to schedule to MyCloud to “Turn on/off” cloud access to regain remote access?