Private shares not private

I’m posting this again because the original thread is way down in the noise and the issue is still current.

Private shares are not private. The DLNA server will find and deliver media even from shares marked as private and no DLNA. Let us suppose you have pictures of a previous girlfriend you don’t want your current girlfriend getting all weird about. So you put them in your private share. Your girfriend is browsing all the other pictures on the public share, and hey, there are all your private photos. Cool. Just what you really wanted.

How could a bug of this magnitude have escaped into the wild? It beggars belief. Anyway, if you are a new user, beware. You may be in for a surprise. When will it be fixed? No-one is saying.

Here is an earlier thread on the topic:
http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-Mobile-Apps/Photo-App-shows-all-folders/td-p/617739

Ha, when I make shares private their so private even I can’t view them

(all the other users can though)

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Execution-Failed-error/td-p/642001

It’s not a bug.

DLNA doesn’t care whether you have set shares private or public, only whether you have turned on Media Serving for that share.

This is how DLNA works as there is no way to set user permissions for DLNA.  If you don’t want your new girlfriend to see the photos of your ex-girlfriend turn off Media Serving for that share.:wink:

If you’re using Explorer, are you sure you arent using previous credentials after you made changes to the shares? Remove any previous sessions via net use and try again.  Private shares work fine for me.  It will ask for the user sign on that has access to the share.

Of course I’ve turned off media serving for the share. That was the first thing I did.

I can view my supposedly private media on

- my blue ray player

- my television

- the My Photos app on my Ipad

- the Windows 7 media player on my PC

Valkeerie wrote:

I can view my supposedly private media on

- my blue ray player

- my television

- the My Photos app on my Ipad

- the Windows 7 media player on my PC

Well, all those are DLNA/UPnP, and the only way they should be able to see the folders is through Twonky.

Have you looked at Twonky to make sure those shares have actually been removed.  In your browser, type in the IP address of your My Cloud followed by :9000, ie: 192.168.1.200:9000 , then click on Sharing   to see what folders are being shared.