Private folder

from wireless locate mypassport wireless i able to see Public and SD foldder

is that possible to have private folder not able to access using wireless?

I cannot find anything regarding this inside user manual :frowning:

hope someone can clear my doubts thanks.

No.

What do you need really?

If you want to get a folder visible through USB but invisible through wi-fi, I don’t think it’s possible.

But if in fact you want to have a secure folder visible for you only, it’s possible using SSH. Just perform an SSH access and create your folder outside the Public folder. You will be able to work with it through SSH only (and entering a password therefore).

It’s not a good way (you’ll have to be carefull to avoid losing your files because of firmware updates and corrupting MPW’s system files) but is the only one for now. We are waiting for a regular tool from WD. Perhaps it will appear in future firmware versions. Add your voice for such a function in the Ideas section.

MihailK wrote:

Just perform an SSH access and create your folder outside the Public folder. You will be able to work with it through SSH only (and entering a password therefore).

As  was discovered recently, OS files are likely located not on the HDD, but on the internal memory of MPW. So, you’d better avoid the way I suggested.

MihailK wrote:

MihailK wrote:

Just perform an SSH access and create your folder outside the Public folder. You will be able to work with it through SSH only (and entering a password therefore).

As  was discovered recently, OS files are likely located not on the HDD, but on the internal memory of MPW. So, you’d better avoid the way I suggested.

There is a “recovery” image is located in flash.   The active OS is on the HDD.

Hey Tony, 

I’m pretty sure that the OS is stored on board otherwise my customizations (wifi ssid, password, etc) would not of been still set when I booted the board with only the battery attached (the hd was hooked up to my PC at the time). Please follow the link MihailK posted for what I found out

P.S. One of the many reasons why I want to install Gentoo (besides being a typical Gentoo user and want to put it on everything :smiley: ) is for multiple users and “private” folders. Not sure if you want it through the offical app for phones but I want it for computers.