PR4100 Drive Replacment isn't rebuilding the RAID - Raid 5

Hi everyone.

I currently have an issue with my PR4100.

I have 4 of the 8TB red drives in it, and it is configured in Raid 5. I had a drive go bad in it a couple of weeks ago. It was still under warranty, so I had it RMA’ed. I just got my replacement drive from Western Digital today.

It is not rebuilding the Raid at all. And I am not sure why. I put the drive in, and I can hear it spinning up. It told me the system was busy, and it check that the drive was there. The light on the front went to solid red. I went to settings, then utilities and did a quick test on the new drive and it came back as ‘Good’. Nothing else happened.

I had auto-rebuild set to “on” but it did not trigger anything. There where no updates saying “rebuilding” or anything. So I rebooted the whole system, and once it came back up, it just sits there and the raid status still says “Degarded”. It will not attempt to rebuild the array at all. I even toggled “auto rebuild” on and off a couple of times, and still nothing.

The red light on the replacement drive is still red. I then took the drive out of the PR4100 and put in into my hard drive docking station on my Windows 10 PC. Windows detected the drive fine, and I ran WD Data Lifegaurd Diagnostics on it with a quick test, and everything came back as “passed” showing no errors.

So the replacement drive seems to be fine, but for some reason my PR4100 will not trigger a raid rebuild after it is inserted and detected. Any ideas?

I am running firmware version 5.15.106 on the PR4100 which says is the latest version when I do an online check for it.

Hi,

In order to isolate the issue, kindly follow the below steps.

All the processes should be disabled.

• As usual, we recommend having a backup from data before changing anything on the drive and RAID.
  • Disable Cloud Access, Please refer to the link below:

Title: My Cloud OS 5: How To Disable and Enable My Cloud Indexing and Media Services
Link: My Cloud OS 5: Disable and Enable Indexing and Media Services

• Disable all the Apps
  • Reboot the device
  • Enable Auto rebuild
  • Wait for sometimes if it doesn’t start
  • Reboot the device again.

Please follow this link for more information: My Cloud: Manual RAID Rebuild

I called Western Digital phone support and they talked to me through everything that they could think of except for turning off the cloud feature. I didn’t think to even try that.

So because I had everything backed up to other offline drives already, and the cloud feature getting turned off was never suggested by phone support, I just completely wiped the unit into reset mode and rebuilt the raid with a fresh start.