Plex Update needed

A mi me escriben los de wd que envié el registro del producto a ver que fallos tiene. Yo les estoy respondiendo que actualicen el server. Incompetentes

I just used the feedback link in the web app Western Digital - WD Support responded to this after a few days. There is also a more detailed Support Request page on the WD website but you need to create an account and fill out a heap of info.

The link was supplied by Hom77 in an earlier post… Contact | Western Digital

Just adding my post to show this has happened to me as well. I regret buying a western digital for this. The bright side is my shield server decided to always be online now…funny enough I bought the WD because the shield server wasnt always on and had to go in the guestroom where the shield server was and restart it…once the wd problems started, the shield server decided to always be on…now I use the wd nas as storage only for the shield and can find it on the network via finding it on the network based on its name \MYCLOUD-XXXXXX\Public. Cant see the normal storage wd created which would have been great as I could have 2 server using the same storage folders, but I can create a separate folder which wd cant see even though its on it. which is also convenient as at times the login for wd discovery doesnt work and I cant access mycloud at all…never getting wd again

Same thing with me, worked fine up until about a week ago and now nothing, can’t get a remote connection at all!
Had somebody in the know look at the logs and seems like there is an issue with the servers certificate related to the 1.5 year old version of the software!
Nothing we can do until they update the version.
Expensive paperweight for me now as it was bought as a Plex server!

What did they say? I haven’t heard anything back. “Expensive paperweight” is right, as one user described it above.

Not especially helpful:

As per the email received, I understand that the plex is not working, I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.
Please be informed that the Plex tool is a 3rd party software and Western Digital Technical Support does not provide installation, configuration, or troubleshooting for 3rd Party software.
Please be informed that if you are having problems with Plex or Media Streaming we request you to post your issue to the Plex Community Forums.

Please be informed that the Plex version included with My Cloud Home is the version that is tested to work with the device. We have notified the proper groups of your concern regarding the version of Plex available on My Cloud Home. Any resolution or fix would be delivered in the form of a future device, mobile app, software, or firmware update.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide a schedule as to when a release will occur or if a resolution or fix, will or will not be included in a specific release version.

We appreciate your patience and understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. If you experience any issues further or require any type of assistance, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Western Digital Support. Have a nice day.

:unamused:

2 Likes

Anyone have any new news about it?

My brick waits … what a shame WD’s behavior

1 Like

I am having the same issue. The Plex server on My Cloud does not work on any of my Firesticks but the Plex server on my PC works fine. Both work on Web and Roku. When are they going to do an update?

While mine is working pretty much okay (I have issues sometimes), I’m sick of this lack of updates by WD.
I just sent a ticket in https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask with the following message. It’s probably better than posting in the community.
Working in a big company, I know that the customer service tickets are given an importance (way more than community forums), and the more tickets about something, the higher it goes and more looked at, since it shows up in the customer tickets reports. So you’re free to do the same…

Hello,

My Cloud Home is using Plex Server version 1.18, released in February 2020. There have been hundreds of updates since then, the latest being 1.24.1.4931

Please provide a recent update, along with more frequent updates. Or, if you are unwilling to, please provide an option for advanced users to manually do so at their own risk.
*You’re keeping the device closed, outdated and providing no option to update. As a company and seeking revenue, think about what that does to customer satisfaction and future purchases. *

Please don’t provide the standard response of “tested version” and actually do something. There are many people stuck with an old, insecure version that continues to be problematic as time goes by. See threads such as Plex Update needed - #29 by falbanese , and that’s only the ones who care to post.

Thank you

1 Like

Update for whoever interested:

WD response:

My reply:

4 Likes

We need support from WD team to update our Plex.
We cannot enjoy the new features such as updating library to the new agent
Hoping WD support team can take it serious and resolve this issue.

1 Like

The lack of updates has literally broken the Plex Media Server functionality on the WD MCH devices. The updates to the Plex application have rendered the devices unable to connect to the Plex Media Server unless secure connections is disabled. That is completely unacceptable.

Support your product. Provide an update to the most recent stable Plex Media Server software in a timely manner.

4 Likes

Hello buddy I have the exactly the same issue I think because the wd my cloud home settings is set to local rather than direct , if you can change it to direct I think it will work but as you said I have tried everything port forwarding and my router support upnp , also tried setting my cloud to static it in dhcp but no use , I don’t know what else to do , we are not using the full potential of the product I also use plex and wd cloud home as server .

I took my Android Tab to my retailer yesterday and showed them the support call I’d raised to WD about this.

I then explained that they’re selling MCH devices in store that are basically not being supported by WD to an acceptable level.

They confirmed I’ve still got six months warranty left and from what I’ve shown them, it’s sufficient to take the unit back and refund me.

So thats what I’ll be doing.

How did you do this? My warranty expired last july, and I really wish to return this crappy My Cloud Home… I bought it online, I think my retailer won’t never accept it back…
WD Italian support said to me that “Plex update will be released with a future firmware update”: a future??? I asked for a date, waiting for an answer.

The difference between us is that I still have warranty for another 6 months or so. So I’ve put together emails, fault references with screen dumps and took it to the retailer.

They have agreed the responses are not good enough from WD and hence Product Not Fit for purpose.

I see, big difference…
Well, WD will never have me as a customer again. I will keep this piece of garbage until it works.
Thank you

Hello,

I have the same problem, just sent a mail to WD, I don’t expect them to do anything but better than standing arms crossed.

Meanwhile, to watch my tv series on my Mibox and Mi stick, i have activated the dlna server on plex, and use VLC, and it is ok. Better than the native plex app on my panasonic TV.

It seems that plex server on the cloud home is also suffering deconnexion, i have to restart the cloud home really often.

We’ll see, but I’m no happy with that product and support, as you do not enjoy the promised functionnalities.

I’ve also raised a support ticket --In the UK, it is still described thus: “Plays well with others.
Stream music and movies with Sonos, Google Chromecast, Plex Media server and more.” …which is downright misleading.

Sadly, the Duo server was an ideal device for me, satisfying my need for an Apple Time Capsule and a media server. Does anyone know of a good alternative?