Please fix the iPlayer abrupt ending issue once and for all!

richUK wrote:
I won’t be holding my breath. If its taken them this long to identify the problem then it could take them some time to implement a fix.

Nor will I, I mean the titles problem was planned to be fixed in May after many delays.

Hello,

I don’t have the issue everybody mentions here (stream ending on the last minutes) because mine actually randomly ends at any time!

Yesterday watching Hunted on the BBC iPlayer (WD TV Live Gen 2) after around 10-15min the stream will end and I will be sent back to the program menu. I tried rebooting, replaying, etc. still the same will happen once I restarted the stream and fast forward to where I was before.

This of course makes the BBC iPlayer useless.

I see on the BBC iPlayer webpage that the WD devices have been certified so who is to blame here the Beeb or WD?

Thanks,

Yona

YonaSL wrote:

Hello,

I don’t have the issue everybody mentions here (stream ending on the last minutes) because mine actually randomly ends at any time!

Yesterday watching Hunted on the BBC iPlayer (WD TV Live Gen 2) after around 10-15min the stream will end and I will be sent back to the program menu. I tried rebooting, replaying, etc. still the same will happen once I restarted the stream and fast forward to where I was before.

This of course makes the BBC iPlayer useless.

I see on the BBC iPlayer webpage that the WD devices have been certified so who is to blame here the Beeb or WD?

Thanks,

Yona

I have this too - as well as the ‘abrupt’ ending issues.  Interestingly it also started with ‘Hunted’, but now happens with lots of programmes.  Programmes that have issues on the WD play fine on my iPad, MacBook Pro and PC.

WD is on a wired 100BaseT connection, as is PC - iPad and MacBook Pro on WiFi.

WD running firmware version 1.12.14.

I can’t comment on wd player but I can confirm this happens on more then just the wd devices.

That and investigations of others it seems the problem is with the BBC themselves and a near total lack of work  being done by them on iplayer.

If it was confined to just one box then it would likely be do to the firmware but this is quite widespread and makes it very unlikely this is merely a firmware failure.

The issue includes boxe’s ,tv and darn near ever device its running on.

It works OK on my PS3, tablet, itouch and PC. Perhaps you could point to where you found all these other issues?

All works ok on my LG tv, Sony tv, PC’s, iPad, Blu-ray player, Wii and phones, Just not on my 2 WD’s.

Only other problem I know of, is a LG tv with Talk-Talk as a ISP (constant buffering with iplayer).

Yet on  a third of the tv my sis gets in at work can’t get it to play correctly and  its got issues on andriod devices.

Its clear a major chunk of the blame is with the bbc  and reminds me alot of boxee box flash issue.

A device that didn’t have the latest flash and apps updated to do so.

I have a mk802II and it has the same issue with the iplayer and yet its a completely different device then the wd.

The iplayer has no real problems on my WD players except that the program stops before it should. I have no problem with my android tablet or itouch. I am sure that other devices do have problems with iplayer but can anybody point me to a page where the device exhibits the same problem as the WD player because I cannot find one. I have had a quick look round the Boxee forums without any joy. From I can see the mk80211 is an android device and gets its apps from play - I have the bbc app on my nexus 7 and it plays the program to the very end - are you saying that the mk80211 does not play to the end?

No not everything with iplayer mk802II does that but some programs do which lead me to beleive that the issues on bbc end.

With the WD player its not some programs which do not play to the end but every single program. It could well be a BBC problem but WD should be taking the lead and discussing it with them as missing the end of a program can make the service worst than useless.