Please fix the iPlayer abrupt ending issue once and for all!

This is still an issue after many months.  I am on the latest firmware and every (that is EVERY) time I watch a programme on iPlayer the last 40 seconds or so is missing.  This does not happen when watching on my PC, my Xoom Andriod tablet or my iPad.

Like a twit I bought the WDTV Live especially for iPlayer (no smart satellite telly). I get the abrupt cut off always on animations and sometimes half way through a program but Netflix seems to be fine. I am wondering if it is my ISP (talktalk), line speed (6mbps) or router but your discussion seems to think it isn’t.

I even took it to Wales and tried it in my Dad’s house but got exactly the same symptoms.

As this hasn’t been mentioned for a while has it been solved for the rest of you? If not whose fault is it it doesnt work?

I’ve given up trying to watch recorded material on this device; it’s just too much bother.

I now only use it for BBC iPlayer and I have exactly the same issue. Mostly for me it only cuts off during the credits but occasionally I just miss the most important part of the program. Luckily I don’t spend much time watching TV but if I did I would have bought something else ages ago. When I first got this device it seemed great, but too many niggles make it an unpleasant experience.

As well as having the cut off problem which WD seems unwilling to fix has any one had trouble when it comes to pausing iplayer, in essence when you unpause it seems to restart the item you are watching?

Thanks for the continued replies to the thread. It’s encouraging, if also disappointing in one way, to see so many people unhappy with this issue speaking out vocally.

It’s my firm belief that if this issue affected a major US networks “repeat service” then WD would act immediately but because this only affects little old UK, a smaller percentage of their customer base, then they couldn’t care less.

It’s also my strong belief that the only way to resolve this is to hit WD where it hurts. I.E. Make a noise and complain directly to them. If necessary request a refund on the grounds that the device is not fit for purpose. After all they promote and market the device as iPlayer compatible when in reality it’s not.

[Deleted]

Maybe then WD will sit up and take notice. 

Some may think those of us in this thread are making an issue out of nothing and should shut up and go away but if you’ve purchased a product, based on the fact you’re told it fulfils a requirement you’re after, namely iPlayer, and that it fails to deliver then we should have our concerns respected and acted upon. 

I strongly encourage anyone who’s purchased this device with iPlayer as their main purchasing factor to complain to WD and complain strongly. They may in turn blame the BBC/iPlayer but it works perfectly well on numerous other devices.

Please note that WD have censored my post above and I have been warned by  jubei04 in a private message.

Clearly my post has touched a raw nerve and rather than discuss the issue which affects a lot of customers  jubei04 has simply edited my post and declined to comment on the problem we’re experiencing.

That’s WD’s attitude towards customer right there folks.

Brumski wrote:

Please note that WD have censored my post above and I have been warned by  jubei04 in a private message.

Clearly my post has touched a raw nerve and rather than discuss the issue which affects a lot of customers  jubei04 has simply edited my post and declined to comment on the problem we’re experiencing.

You are absolutely wrong.  Jubei04 is a moderator, and it is his job to edit or remove posts that violate our usage guidelines.  If you would read the guidelines, you would see that the forum is not a legal venue for discussing any types of legal actions whether past present or future, nor will any such discussion be allowed. 

Concerning WD’s attitude, our moderating your post should never be taken as an expression of any negative attitude from WD towards its community users.  As a matter of fact, and I’m letting you know this now, we had already escalated this issue and are looking into it.  Moreover, we welcome our users letting us know when there may be problems.  

So, please, next time, instead of getting upset and threatening us, why don’t you just ask if we’re aware of this being an issue, and if we’d look into it.  Our moderators are more than willing to follow up on your requests.

Bill_S wrote:

Brumski wrote:

Concerning WD’s attitude, our moderating your post should never be taken as an expression of any negative attitude from WD towards its community users.  As a matter of fact, and I’m letting you know this now, we had already escalated this issue and are looking into it.  Moreover, we welcome our users letting us know when there may be problems.  

So, please, next time, instead of getting upset and threatening us, why don’t you just ask if we’re aware of this being an issue, and if we’d look into it.  Our moderators are more than willing to follow up on your requests.

With all due respect Bill this thread has been open since the end of July and this is the first time anybody from WD has commented on it. It is a real pain and mostly I have to watch the end on a PS3 or tablet. There is more than a bit of swearing in our house when that happens so I can sympathise / agree with the poster above.

This has been in the issue reporting section since early February 2012

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/BBC-iPlayer-cutting-off-the-end-of-programmes/idi-p/348661

and again in June 2012

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/BBC-iPlayer-doesn-t-play-correctly/idi-p/416278

Bill_S wrote:

Brumski wrote:

f you would read the guidelines, you would see that the forum is not a legal venue for discussing any types of legal actions whether past present or future, nor will any such discussion be allowed. 

If you would read my original post you would see I didn’t discuss any legal actions whatsoever. 

An apology from you and/or jubei04 would be appreciated. Particularly given the arrogant and flippant nature of your reply.

EDIT - I should point out I have twice asked jubei04 to quote and/or point out where I discussed “litigation” or “legal action” but as yet he/she cannot provide me with any such quote. 

Plain old censorship and Bill_S wades in to make it abuntantly clear they don’t take kindly to negative feedback. 

Hi Rich,

Then I apologize that it hasn’t been dealt with.  But, to my knowledge, nobody has asked any of us moderators to look into this.  So, I will find out what is going on and report back.  However, it does’t change what I initially said.  I can understand people being upset, but we still have to moderate according to the guidelines.  And people would get further if they just ask us moderators to look into it.  That puts the burden on us to respond. 

Now, if I don’t respond to a post directed at me, then you may need to pm me.  Cause obviously I’m not reading everything.  

Brumski wrote:

If you would read my original post you would see I didn’t discuss any legal actions whatsoever. 

An apology from you and/or jubei04 would be appreciated. Particularly given the arrogant and flippant nature of your reply.

EDIT - I should point out I have twice asked jubei04 to quote and/or point out where I discussed “litigation” or “legal action” but as yet he/she cannot provide me with any such quote. 

Plain old censorship and Bill_S wades in to make it abuntantly clear they don’t take kindly to negative feedback. 

This is an exact quote of what you said: “I’ll be contacting a few UK bodies tomorrow, the ASA being merely one of them, to see what they have to say about a company advertising and selling a product which doesn’t do what it says on the tin.” 

I can see how the moderator took that as a legal threat, especially your reference to the ASA.  Now, I do apologize that this issue has been ongoing.  But it’s not about censorship like you think.  It’s simply our guidelines.  You agreed to them when you joined the community. They were a condition that was required for you to become a part of the community.  I have to enforce them.  You have to follow them. 

As for us not taking kindly to negative feedback, it should be obvious that that’s not the case.  All you have to do is read your post that I’m responding to.  I don’t mind people sharing their frustrations.  We don’t even get upset when people violate the guidelines, we just have to do our job. 

Nevertheless, we help a lot of users in the process.  As a matter of fact, we escalated you right away.  Someone should already be trying to contact you in order to see if we can help you.  Hopefully, you’ll let us. 

By the way,

We just released a beta version of the next firmware.  If you guys would try it and get back to us in that thread to see if this was fixed, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for the response Bill. I appreciate it, honestly I do.

However I still disagree stongly that I -

A, “Threatened” WD in anyway at all. 

Or 

B, Discussed “legal issues” or “litigation”.

The ASA is a uk body that deals with a whole raft of advertising and marketing relating issues. Claiming, and advertising, that a product includes a feature which doesn’t work, and hasn’t worked since day one, despite a large number of users making the company concerned aware of the issue, is something I wanted their feedback on.

This request for clarification, for want of better words, is not “threatening” in any way at all. It is also not entering into any form of “litigation”.

I hope you will agree that you’ve interpreted the community rules and/or guidelines incorrectly in this instance.

Brumski wrote:

Thank you for the response Bill. I appreciate it, honestly I do.

However I still disagree stongly that I -

A, “Threatened” WD in anyway at all. 

Or 

B, Discussed “legal issues” or “litigation”.

The ASA is a uk body that deals with a whole raft of advertising and marketing relating issues. Claiming, and advertising, that a product includes a feature which doesn’t work, and hasn’t worked since day one, despite a large number of users making the company concerned aware of the issue, is something I wanted their feedback on.

This request for clarification, for want of better words, is not “threatening” in any way at all. It is also not entering into any form of “litigation”.

I hope you will agree that you’ve interpreted the community rules and/or guidelines incorrectly in this instance.

No problem.  I believe you weren’t meaning to threaten.

Bill_S wrote:

No problem.  I believe you weren’t meaning to threaten.

Thanks Bill. Hopefully we can draw a line under this now and I look forward to seeing if the beta firmware fixes the issue.

Sadly this isn’t the only long term core issue that has been rather overlooked.

The ‘new update’ message appeared on my WDTV Live SMP this afternoon so I updated and eagerly tried BBC iPlayer.  Still the same problem though - it jumps out of the program just before the end.  So still missing the usually vital last bit and the closing credits :frowning:

I still get the same issue too with the newly updated firmware - and also still the issue of when you pause the program it usually doesn’t resume but just resets back to the menu. Luckily I have got used to remembering the time displayed when I pause. I watch iPlayer on my Win7 machine and my iPad with no problems.

Since my last posts on this issue, and the small misunderstanding, I’ve received a couple of emails from WD support.

I won’t post a direct quote as it’s no doubt again the rules but suffice to say they’ve now identified the cause of the issue and they are working on a solution.

Although we’ve put up with the issue for a long time it’s encouraging that they’re now actively working on a fix.

I won’t be holding my breath. If its taken them this long to identify the problem then it could take them some time to implement a fix.