Periodic deep thud from WD HGST Ultrastar DC HC320

I recently fitted a WD HGST Ultrastar DC HC320 7K8 (512e) SE 8TB HGST HUS728T8TALE6L4 to my home desktop PC (Windows 10 Pro) The PC is located in my office which is upstairs, above our lounge.

Over the past week the hard drive has started emitting a very deep thud approximately every 5 seconds. It’s low in volume but a very deep sound. Because the frequency is so low it carries down through the floor and into the living room downstairs. So when the computer is turned on I can hear it thudding both when I’m working in the upstairs and when I’m relaxing downstairs.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this problem? I’m currently doing some audio work on my PC and at times I feel like throwing it out of the window.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

I have the same issue. Did you find a solution?
Thx in advance

The company I bought it from (Span) recommended running “WD diagnostics”. I did and it immediately showed that the drive had errors. I then wiped the drive and returned it to Span. They sent it to WD to confirm it was broken and then replaced it (I asked for a different make). Good luck.

Thank you :+1: