Performance on a WD My Cloud or WD My Cloud EX4 degrades and becomes inaccessible after storing video files on the drive

Problem:

After transferring video files to a WD My Cloud or WD My Cloud EX4, performance is greatly degraded. The results of this behavior includes: the device not responding through network shares or the Dashboard, a variety of errors while navigating the Dashboard, and slow transfer speeds. All of this eventually causes the drive to become inaccessible.

Cause:

Western Digital has identified certain MPEG-4 (MOV/MP4) video formats that can cause the Twonky DLNA Media Server that comes in the Personal Cloud drives to occupy all the resources of the device’s CPU, causing severe performance degradation. Some of the videos that have been identified are listed below:

• Videos recorded with an iPhone 5S recorded with Slo-Mo mode enabled. (.MOV file)
  • (.mp4) videos recorded with an HTC Zoe.
  • (.mp4) videos recorded with an HTC One.

Additional formats and sources will be added to this list as we become aware of them.

Solution:

Western Digital is working on updated firmware releases that can resolve this issue. Until a new firmware is released, it is recommended to perform one of the following workarounds:

Once either of these changes have been made, navigate to the Settings, and then Utilities areas of the Dashboard and Reboot the unit.

On mp4 im getting 1Mb/sec transfers.

I am on network cables for all links.

Do you guys do product testing?

I don’t believe it. How is possible to sell product with this problems. I bought WD my Cloud 5 days ago and My idea was to use it for Media server. When I copied my 15 GB Photos and Videos the problems start. It’s shame for company like WD and it’s not good for me and another customer who were gave there money.

I really hope WD will make new firmware in next couple days, and after that there managers will be going to improve the software quality control and the main internal business processes. WD was example for good company for me, but now…

I am considering to return product, but I am not sure how I can make it. Tomorrow I will check this opportunity.

:frowning:

I disabled DNLA server and now Performance is fine. But I can use it like a media server and that was whole idea :frowning:

LinAdmin wrote:

@sgAppleUser:

I did not beleive it either. And when I wrote an unsmasking text about all flaws I found, there was the following feedback:

• Board adminstrator writing me emails saying that I was _abusing_ the forum.

• One user writing that I am an “insisting troll”

• WD support writing that they will analyze the problems. However I still wait for a solution…

1. You are abusing the forum all you tend to do is rant.

2. Tony was correct in calling you an â€śinsisting troll” as you are very persistent on threatening and attacking the WD Staff.

3. In order to find a solution they first need to replicate the issue in large scales which takes time, then they need to come up with a solution (which takes time), they then need to test that solution (again takes time), if it doesn’t work they’re at square one (which take even more time), and finally they need to deploy said solution (which takes time). I don’t think there’s any part in finding a solution that doesn’t require time. 

4. This is a NEW product it being buggy is something to be expected. Every launch has its problems which can take weeks if not months to develop a solution.

Theagustin,

you are right that it needs more time to fix problem and deploy new version of software. And we have to wait of course. But it is not OK to deploy something with major bug. It’s normal for every software to has some little not important bugs, but this related with one from main functionality of this system and I am not right with you. 

For me it’s simple. I bought Media Server and gave my money, but it’s not work! 

Whatever Happened, Happened!

We will waiting for new version of the firmware. I still believe that WD’s employees are professionals :slight_smile:

sgAppleUser wrote:

Theagustin,

But it is not OK to deploy something with major bug. 

In a relative sense, this isn’t a major bug.   This bug appears to affect only specific users that are uploading a VERY specific set of video captures from very specific vendors (HTC) or features (Slo-Mo only on iPhone 5s).   

Discovering bugs is more art than science.   Until the exact mix of variables presents themselves, it’s quite possible that bugs go undiscovered until they’re released “in the wild.”  Beta Testing is usually limitted to dozens or a few hundred.   Now there’s 100’s of thousands of users (if not more) in the first few weeks after launch and the root cause of the bug is just now being discovered.

Yes, this NAS was tested for a significant period of time, but unless the beta testers presented the NAS with this exact combination of files and settings, expecting all bugs like this to be discovered before release is just a bit unrealistic.

Apparently, the issue is with Twonky, so the fix is going to be a third party’s issue.  Yeah, WD needs to work with the developers (PacketVideo, in this case) to get a solution integrated since they’re using their product, but it’s not like WD can just fix it themselves.

The version of Twonky running on both the My Cloud NAS and My Cloud EX4 (version 7.2.6-2) is the very latest version available, so it’s not like WD is wasting their time…

Twonky 7.2 has been out for a VERY long time (almost a year), and this version runs on LOTS of different systems, perhaps numbering in the millions.   And this bug is just now being discovered.

LinAdmin wrote:

Theagustin wrote:

1. You are abusing the forum all you tend to do is rant.

Plain wrong and insulting.

1. Tony was correct in calling you an “insisting troll” as you are very persistent on threatening and attacking the WD Staff.

Plain wrong again! (Did you look in the history of what I posted?)

1. In order to find a solution they first need to replicate the issue in large scales which takes time, then they need to come up with a solution (which takes time), they then need to test that solution (again takes time), if it doesn’t work they’re at square one (which take even more time), and finally they need to deploy said solution (which takes time). I don’t think there’s any part in finding a solution that doesn’t require time. 

Looking in the archive of this formum proves that such problems are manifest in unmasking number since Sept. 2013. Some even are older from the Wd NyBook times!

1. This is a NEW product it being buggy is something to be expected. Every launch has its problems which can take weeks if not months to develop a solution.

Only middle managers and naive consumers beleive that electronic products must behave like bananas - riping in the hand of the user…

1. Your proving my point as you speak!

2. Don’t flatter yourself  when someone posts “WD My Cloud is an awfully flawed design” I make it my business to know what they’re talking about.

3. Seriously I’m not even going to respond to that asinine comment

4. Expecting perfection following a launch is also “naive”

It’s that mean if I remove MOV or MP4 files I won’t have a problem and can put on my media server???

By the way: My cloud is not accessible from 1 hour. I don’t know why. The LED is blue but I can not access to web interface and I can see in network in my finder. Maybe this is sleep issue!!! This the second problem with this device. 

Ya,

it was same 2 days ago. And I unpluged power cabel and after that everthing is OK. I disabled Media Server but I have on the server some MOV and MP4 from iPhone 5S movies and maybe device is blok againt, because I saw that My Cloud scan all data even some folder has disabled streaming.

Dashboard settings???

How can I change them?

My cloud is inaccessable from explorer and dashboard. Drive is constantly scanning. Blue light is on. Inaccessability occured after I dumped a bunch of videos onto drive. MOV and MP4’s were created with Nikon and Flip video cameras. 

How do I reboot manually, without access from dashboard. 

Interrupting power will not cause data loss? I mean, the drive has not stopped scanning/running for hours. I haven’t saved anything to the drive since yesterday.

Add .mov from Nikon and .mp4 from Flip. Put these files onto my cloud 2TB and a half hour later couldn’t find the drive through explorer and dashboard was unresponsive. Since, the drive has been scanning? for hours.

Thanks. I just hope I can change settings quick enough through the dashboard before the drive goes away again.

@LinAdmin

I’ve seen ssh on the dashboard somewhere, but have no clue what it is or how it works. I plug and play. All of this troubleshooting bs is out of my league.

To me everything’s worked OK since I delete all MOV and MP4 files. Now I have very stable and fast access. Disk, Web UI, Mobile apps, Remote access - everything works very fast. My cloud haven’t restart and bloked from that time. I removed the files 3 days ago and I enabled DLNA server for my Public folder and there I uploaded 6 movies (1 MKV and 5 AVI files) for My Smart TV. No problem 3 days already :-) 

After everything described above, I am able to copy 3GB for 90-120 seconds via WiFi, but I have last model of Mac Book Pro and I am using AirPort Extreme (WIFI AC Standart) for based WIFI router. This has matters of cource!

It’s possible to see somwhere the plan date for new release of the firmware for WD My Cloud???

sgAppleUser wrote:

It’s possible to see somwhere the plan date for new release of the firmware for WD My Cloud???

We can’t have exact plan dates.  Too much is dependent on what’s getting updated and how the testing goes.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the answer :slight_smile: