Partial Backup

Trying to run backup WD My Book Essentials so I can transfer files to new PC.  I got a “Partial Backup” message, but I don’t get the gold triangle that would show which files were not backed up.  Tried updating software, says “no update available”.  Closed out and opened up again, shows “ready to perform backup” but the “Start Backup” button is grayed out.  If I knew which files weren’t backed up, I could deal with them manually…I need to get these files transferred, can anyone help?  Thanks! 

Hi there. Try uninstalling WD Smartware, restart the computer, after that make sure you have Adobe Flash Player (latest version) and Microsoft .Net Framework (version 3.5 SP1), then reinstall WD Smartware again. That may work.-

1 Like

if I uninstall, do I lose everything that’s backed up already? 

Hi Anne

No you will not loose the backup, you can uninstall and have the trust your backup will be on the drive, when you do it, let me know here so I can tell you how to retrieve all the data… lol :smileyvery-happy:

OK, I’ll give it try!  Thanks! 

Anytime :smiley:

Thread moved to WD Software & Accessories: WD Smartware.

Uninstalled, reinstalled, ran a full backup, seems like everything backed up!  Now, i’ve installed WD on my new Windows 7 computer, which detected “errors”, so now it is scanning the WD drive and fixing them…been running for over an hour, not even 10% through…looks like an all-night project!   When it finally finishes scanning, I think I should be able to retrieve the files…at least, I see a link for “retrieve a backup”…keeping my fingers crossed!  Thanks!:smiley:

Did the retrieve. Windows 7 found some problems, did a scan (took forever) and “fixed” them. Most of my files were eventually retrieved, but some were not. I could see a list of them (600+ files), but could not capture that list. The message said that the files would be under “found”…where is “found”??? On the MyBook? I’m hesitant to connect it without knowing what to expect. Help? Thanks, Anne

Hi Anne

Access the drive and you will se a **bleep** up are going to be there, try it to see if you can find those missing files.-

Sorry, I don’t understand your answer.  I opened up WD Smartware, and don’t find anything related to the missing files.  This is so frustrating!  I probably don’t need the majority of those files, but I’d like to make that decision myself…there has to be a loog somewhere that I can copy/print? 

Hi Anne

you don’t  open the software is just access the drive Start > Computer (my computer if you have win xp) > My Passport or My book depending on the drive you have… and you’ll see the folder I am talking about there.-

i plugged it in, and then naviagted to the drive, but I don’t see anything like “found” .  This is what I see:

Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Thank you for your patience with me!

Hi Anne

You should have the folder there, if you don’t have the WD Smartware.swstor folder it means you have an old version of Smartware, if you want you can download the latest update for the software and you will have the folder I am talking about.-

OK, when I searched for that folder name, I located it.  Inside is a folder with the name of my old computer, and then inside that are many folders and files, most of which look like my old C drive folders.  What is the file name specifically that I’m looking for, do you know? 

That means on the old OS you had the latest version of Smartware, now you can download it again on the new OS you have and run another backup, when you do it you will have the folder, with the old and new backup

OK, I ran a new backup, and now in the stor folder I have folders for old and new computers.  Still can’t figure out, though, where the files are that did NOT transfer from old to new…can you tell me a file name (or part of file name) that I should search on? 

And, this backup was another partial!  Without the triangle to show me the files…starting to think this hard drive is corrupt. 

Hi

On the WD Smartware.swstor you will have the backups by computer name, now what you can do is to play on the folder and try to get the specific files you want to transfer.-

I thought the “non retrieved” files would be stored in a specific folder?  That’s what I’m tryiing to find, so that I can identify which files I need to transfer manually.  There were 600+ files not retrieved when I loaded the backup onto the new computer…how do I find them? 

AnneCira wrote:

Trying to run backup WD My Book Essentials so I can transfer files to new PC.  I got a “Partial Backup” message, but I don’t get the gold triangle that would show which files were not backed up.  Tried updating software, says “no update available”.  Closed out and opened up again, shows “ready to perform backup” but the “Start Backup” button is grayed out.  If I knew which files weren’t backed up, I could deal with them manually…I need to get these files transferred, can anyone help?  Thanks! 

This issue should be resolved in the next release.  You will see a message of what wasn’t backed up and why, just as in earlier versions.