Os X yosemite and WD my cloud

There seems to be a lot of issues in this thread… but is anyone experiencing the same as me?..

Bought the WD My Cloud to replace a Buffalo unit I had previously that was just as useless to me as this device…

Have been unable to access any shares - public or with permissions for my account - from Finder or any other non-WD application since September. The drive is visible, but apparently the shares ‘cannot be found’, despite it working fine in Windows Explorer, within the OS X and iOS apps and TimeMachine does its job fine. 

I have just updated to the firmware most recently released with no positive outcome.

I have tried connecting directly through ‘Connect to server’ with FTP, AFP and SMB, but all return the second attachment below.

Thanks for Looking into this Bill.  I performed another Hard Reboot of the device.  The drive showed up again.  I started to use it and then it wrote files to the drive for about 3 minutes then it disconnected and could not reconnect via browser or Finder.

Restarted my mac and the drive is now not visible in Finder, or accessable via the browser.

I can still access files via my television and the router still sees it.  Light is solid blue but cant load any new content via my computer.

I hope you are able to find a solution soon.  I’m hapyy to help give you any more info you need.  I’ll give customer service another call tomorrow to reopen the ticket.

Cheers

Perfect. Thank you. We are definitely working on this.

Hi! I just bought a new My Cloud device, 2 TB. It´s updated with last firmware (4.01.01-413). I’m running OSX Yosemite 10.10.1

Trying to set-up Time Machine, but can’t find the device, it don’t show up.

(I can see the device through browser and My Cloud software)

Did somebody solved this issue?

I just said we’re working on this, which means that we haven’t finished fixing it.  That includes the issue with Time Machine not showing up. 

I just found out i seem to have a variant of the same problems.

Today i wanted to make a new share and gave two users full acess.

Following problems occured.

connecting to server with afp protocol - the shares dont show

connecting to server with smb protocol - shares show but cant connect

Tried makeing the shares public - No problems shares mounted.

By the way, shares made a while ago works just fine.

I think i used the afp protocol when i connected long time ago… and it seems like my mac has switched to smb.

I have the same issue. Last firmware avalible.

I’m using the latest firmware version (v04.01.01-413) and after upgrading to Yosemite, my WD MyCloud device has turned into a doorstop. Transfer feeds are so SLOW, the storage device has been rendered useless.

Come on WD, this is affecting ALL Yosemite users and not being able to backup or access backups is a HUGE issue, epecially for your customers. 

Bill_S wrote:

I just said we’re working on this, which means that we haven’t finished fixing it.  That includes the issue with Time Machine not showing up. 

Really? You’re getting frustrated with your customers complaining about not being able to backup their critical data or access what they already backed up? Imagine how your CUSTOMERS feel. I cannot work without being able to backup - period. These complaints of slow and unworkable copy speeds are all over the internet so it should be no surprise to WD.

And if this helps. Yosemite transfers work perfectly fine with D-Link’s NAS devices, of which we have two in our business.

It may sound totally irrelevant but my “workaround” for MacOs for connecting MyCloud shares (including TimeMashine share) is opening SMB server address (e.g. smb://WDMYCLOUD) in MuCommander ( http://www.mucommander.com))

It just works and have always worked when I have had trouble connecting to MyBook Live shares without special WD software.

krebalo wrote:

It may sound totally irrelevant but my “workaround” for MacOs for connecting MyCloud shares (including TimeMashine share) is opening SMB server address (e.g. smb://WDMYCLOUD) in MuCommander ( http://www.mucommander.com))

It just works and have always worked when I have had trouble connecting to MyBook Live shares without special WD software.

Hi Krebalo. My problem is not being unable to connect to my MyCloud NAS device. I can connect quite easily but the transfer speeds make this device completely unusable and essentially a door stop, since upgrading to Yosemite.

Gotta love these guys. Drop in to let us know he got his issue fixed but doesn’t provide a solution or reply ever again for everyone else…

I am still having an issue having Time Machine discover My Cloud. I have tried what is posted here including the Apple linked solution to no avail. 

I had yosemite before installing my my book and WD support sent me instructions.  I think it might erase all the data if there is something on the drive so proceed with caution.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. In regards of your case, it is not necessary to download any software for this drive. The only thing to do is to reformat the drive to make it compatible. Once finished, you will be able to transfer files to it.

Formatting the drive will delete all the information that you have in it. This process is Data Destructive and cannot be undone. Once the process begins, all the Data on the drive will be lost!

1. Plug your hard drive to your Mac

2. Once the drive appears on the desktop, double left-click on the Internal Mac drive. Choose Applications, then Utilities, and double-click on Disk Utility.

3. In the far left pane, choose the drive to be partitioned and formatted. Typically there are two listings for each drive, unless there is more than one partition on a particular drive. Choose the option that gives you the capacity of the drive. It is usually directly above the name of the drive.

4. There should be 5 options on the top of the Screen and you will need to click on Partition.

5. Under Partition Layout, click the drop-down box and click on 1 partition.

6. Click the Options button and choose Guid Partition Table. Then click on OK.

7. Back to the Top, you will see where it says Partition Information, Name Untitled One. You can rename the drive if you wish to.

8. Right under the name, it says Format. Make sure it says Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ).

9. Click on Apply on the Lower right Corner and then Partition on the New Window

Hi Bill_S, could you share some update? Thanks in advance

tedeschia wrote:

Hi Bill_S, could you share some update? Thanks in advance

I don’t have anything yet.  But it shouldn’t be too long now. 

Downloaded new firmware and Yosemite now sees MyCloud again.  Opened Time Machine - preparing backup - says its now backing up but has hung on 1.2MB of progress.  Sigh…  Now it’s up to 5MB of 264GB - this is going to be a while but it looks like its crawling forward  Up to 2GB now - I think the firmware download solved everything with Yosemite.  Hoping wifi sayts connected…(now thats another support site)  Thanks for the fix WD! :slight_smile:

rheacom,

Which firmware are you using for mycloud and Yosemite? I seem to be up to date but still no luck. My computer just doesnt want to see it.  Pretty frustrated as I just dropped 100 bucks on the paperweight. Help!

Just got off the phone with support. They were able to get my mycloud desktop app to access my files but I cant get the drive to be mapped to my mac. I cant use time machine without my computer recognizing it as a drive on the network. Any ideas?

I initially installed my 6 TB EX2 using Yosemite 10.10.1 on my Mac Mini, and two drives showed up, with 102.4 mb each.  I then powered my Mac down for the night, and when rebooted, NO WD My Cloud drive icons were shown.  I reinstalled my WD software, which then revealed ONE of the two WD My Cloud icons.

1.  Is this WD MyCloud raid-1 drive going to work on Yosemite?  I found no reference to Yosemite on your site, so far.

2.  Your “My Concierge” service doesn’t operate on the weekends (?), which is when most homeowners would try to install it.

3.  Is there a link to Yosemite-specific instructions somewhere?

-Steve Rounds

@Bill_S.  Thank you for working on this, however,  can you please give us more than, “I don’t have anything yet.  But it shouldn’t be too long now.”

Please understand that this is a device-killing issue for many people that is making our sizable personal investment useless, and for those with important data on there drives there is much more at stake.  It would help the customers if you could tell us more about what the issue is on WD’s end, how WD plans on solving it, and if possible, a timeframe on resolution.

I hope that you have the resourses necessary to fix this ASAP. If not, I hope you ask the bosses at WD to understand the severity of selling a product that doesn’t work on Yosemite, and provide you with what you need. I fear that is not the case since you first acknowledged this issued on this thread back on 11-25-14 and still haven’t released a fix.

-Help us,

Mike