OK, how does one get into a private share?

Now I am totally confused. I have a private share on WD-MC with a username and password. I know th username and password for that share.

I have tried to get into this folder from PCs w/o a password account and PCs with password accounts. Neither one allows me acess.

I have tried this on Win7 and Win8.1 computers. Same results.

How dos one get into a private share folder?

Thanks for any help.

Using Windows Explorer, open the NAS on the network. Then open the share. Windows will prompt you for credentials. Enter [YourNASName][YourUserName] eg" MYCLOUD\Fred" for the user name, enter your password.

If you don’t get access, it is possibly because you have already accessed the NAS with another set of credentials for that Windows user. On Windows, each Windows user can have only one set of credentials to access another computer (a NAS here).

In this case do this:

• under user account control panel, go to the credential manager and delete any stored NAS credentials,

• unmount any mounted share,

• stop any sync software of backup software that might using another set of credentials to access any share on the NAS, make sure it won’t log in again upon reboot,

• from a command prompt run net use * /delete (it should return the list was empty).

Restart the computer and try again.

Sorry, I figured it out. Hopefully, I can explain it to other users who may have the same problem.

Seems Windows only allows for a single secure (private) connection at a time. If you have an app that is already accessing the Public shares on WD-MC, you are not allowed to make another connection at that time. if you want to get into the Private share folder, you need to make sure no other connection is running.

My advice is to first map your private drive on the Windows to a Drive letter. During the mapping process, you will be asked for the user/password. Once mapped, that drive letter works like a normal folder. You can even set it to load on Windows login so that the mapped drive simply points to the private folder on WD-MC.

I am plannig to set it up like that for my kids and then do a background sync from the PC-library to their private folder on the WD-MC.

pplwin wrote:

Sorry, I figured it out. Hopefully, I can explain it to other users who may have the same problem.

Seems Windows only allows for a single secure (private) connection at a time. If you have an app that is already accessing the Public shares on WD-MC, you are not allowed to make another connection at that time. if you want to get into the Private share folder, you need to make sure no other connection is running.

My advice is to first map your private drive on the Windows to a Drive letter. During the mapping process, you will be asked for the user/password. Once mapped, that drive letter works like a normal folder. You can even set it to load on Windows login so that the mapped drive simply points to the private folder on WD-MC.

I am plannig to set it up like that for my kids and then do a background sync from the PC-library to their private folder on the WD-MC.

Yep, I replied to your post in another thread before I saw your response here.

Your other option is to set up the apps that are accessing the Public shares to use the same credentials as the Private share.   Public shares don’t “need” credentials, but they will accept them.