Number of new public folders doubles every reboot

I have an EX2 with 2 4tb drives configured as jbod. Initially it had for each of the default folders (public, Time machine etc), 3 iterations public, public_1 public_2 . Two of these pointed to the same location on one drive and the other pointed to the other drive. With each restart, the number doubles. I now have around 256 public folders. 128 of them point to one drive and the others point to the other drive. If you try and delete one using the dashboard, it’s like a reboot and it doubles again. This is the same for time machine etc. If you use the mobile app, it shows all 256 folders, but if you select one of them, it says it doesn’t exist. Under Windows 7, accessing them causes Windows explorer to crash.  As much fun as this is, I’d rather not have this behaviour. For each drive, all of these folders point to the same location.

Hello and welcome to the WD community.

What version firmware do you have on your unit? This is really odd behaviour, have you tried resetting the unit to see if the issue persists?

Here is a link that might help you with he reset process:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10432

You can also try a system restore on the unit here is a link that will help you with this process:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10433

The firmware is version 1.05.21.

I upgraded to this (most recent) version when I initialized the device.

I have tried the factory reset (but it’s not truly a factory reset and many settings are not cleared).  This has not resolved the problem.  I did the reset with the drives removed from system.  Is it safe to do a reset with the drives in?  After the factory reset, I reinstalled one drive (the only one with data on it).   Note that the reboot now takes about 10-12 minutes, which is perhaps due to the massive number of public shares it has created?

I will now try a restore and see if that changes anything.

I tried the restore:

• All the extra folders have disappeared.
  • Volume_1 is called volume_2 (this existed before this exercise though)
  • Volumme_2 is called volume_1
  • I had created a share under public on drive1 (volume_2) and moved 1.2tb of data to it.  That share (and my 1.2 tb of data is now gone (or at least all shares have disappeared from that drive.)
  • Drive 1 (vol_2) is accessible - I can create a new share on it. (previous shares are all gone though)
  • Rather miffed that I lost 1.2tb of data (despite the software sayng that absolutely I wouldn’t lose data by running the restore)