Notice: The My Book World and Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)

Okay, thanks for the hint.

But actually there is no patch for my “older” product. ; )

By the way… If someone is interested in a workaround until WD finally manages to include netatalk 2.2, look at the solution of this thread:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/still-waiting-or/m-p/250354#M5772

The community of http://mybookworld.wikidot.com is doing it’s job quite good… 

coconut wrote:

It should be out early next week according to bill_s.

Ardvark wrote:

coconut wrote:

It should be out early next week according to bill_s.

That’s the reason why i used the " ;  ) " 

I also will never Purchase another WD product as long as I live !! And Neither will all of my coworkers and friends.  If they cared the fix would of been out a long time ago. ■■■■ poor company !

Jimbo86 wrote:

I also will never Purchase another WD product as long as I live !! And Neither will all of my coworkers and friends.  If they cared the fix would of been out a long time ago. ■■■■ poor company !

I give up… I really don’t get people like this… They are hard at work developing a fix for an OS the drive never claimed to support to begin with, and people complain that it takes a few weeks to develop and test (yes- WD actually wants to make sure they don’t break anything else by implementing this… I think thats worth a few extra days, versus the weeks or months of pain if something else broke as a consequence of fixing this issue (that was caused by Apples requirement and Netalks upgrade, and not because of anything WD did )… Lion JUST CAME OUT less than 6 months ago! If they didn’t care, they wouldn’t be giving you the patch in the first place. Chill out and wait just a few more days…sheesh…

A hint for people: Never, EVER, upgrade to a new OS (that goes for Windows 8 when it comes out, and for Mac OSX 10.8 (Singapura?) until at least 6-8 months after release - stuff like this ALWAYS happens, and fixing these issues takes developers time.

1 Like

Didn’t WD test their product against one of the many beta releases of Lion? Or did this change not exist until the production release of Lion?

The problem is the version of AFP (Apple File Protocol). Since the release of time machine Apple allowed 3rd party manufacturers to build NAS systems which are compatible to TimeMachine as long it supports a set of specified functions.

Apple has updated the version of AFP included in Mac OS X to version 3.3 and they started to be very strict to violations of the requirements of TimeMachine. 

Since November 2009 the project called “netatalk” is able to serve as TimeMachine Server. 

Apparently 3rd party manufacturers like WD started to use this open source project for their “TimeMachine product”.

The latest release of netatalk claims to be compatible to AFP3.3 and was released end of July this year. But it’s a .0 (dot-zero) release and on the website of the project the developers encourage all “early adopters” to test this version. 

And that’s what WD is doing right now. Testing.  And this takes very long, especially if the development team did not release an update for a while.

Let’s see if they needed some bugfixes for this netatalk release or if they were just busy with counting money the last weeks.

I’m happy to add my thoughts to the discussion here as well:

1. People normally buy external hard drives as means to store important data (eg. pics, documents, business information, etc.) in a safe place and expect them to be available in case they need them again

2. Product providers need to understand, that reliability is the key element in the decision to buy such a product, at least for users that have important data to back up (eg. when they run a business and have business critical data to store)

3. A product that users can’t rely on anymore is more or less useless

4. Arguments form some of you guys, that this is a legacy product and you can be happy to get a firmware update at all, do not understand the real need for such products

To sum it up: there should not be such thing as a legacy product in data storage that isn’t supported at anymore

WD did a very bad job in this regard. At least they have someone (Bill_S) that seems to understand and communicates to the not satisfied users. Hopefully the current ETA holds true and I can do some backups again soon.

Cheers!

Thanks for the uodate bill.

Have a great weekend.

F,

Did someone say this was a legacy product? :angry: **bleep** this manufacturers! Before you purchase they give you the sun in one hand and the moon in the other. When you buy them, they say “well, we didn’t say it will be compatible with that certain OS”; Here is the news my friends, it says it is compatible with TIME MACHINE. Without specifying information about the OS that is supported. I have noticed in the manual that they only added procedures for OS X Snow Leopard and Tiger.This might be an implicit indication that snow Leopard is the last OS supported. I have bought this crappy product in the hope to backup my data right away. I buy OSs as soon as they come out. I haven’t has a single issue with ANY THING AT ALL. Except this “”“”““LEGACY!!””“”“” Drive. A Legacy Drive? Why are they selling it? **bleep**? This pisses me off!!

Mate, lemme understand this, bear with me please, you have posted 600+ posts in the WD forum, are you kind of Hard Drive enthusiast or something? I mean it really is a boring thing this hard disk. My relationship with drives end at saving/backing up data. They do not turn me ON if you know what I mean.

One more thing. WD are not “developing” a fix, they are testing one. How hard can it be to test it during one of the OS X Lion many beta releases?

I need to sleep, this is giving me a headache already…

Bill

I have tried to load the new firmware three times and I still cannot backup either through time machine or via Windows Vista.  Where do I get help?  Thanks

Ted Smith

I am also waiting for the now overdue firmware update for my “My Book World”, and I entirely agree with previous posters that reliability & continuity of access to a network hard-drive is the most important feature. WD have singularly failed to achieve this and although I am sure Apple are messing them about it is incompetent product management to be so late in providing the critical update.

I will never buy a WD product again & will encourage others to avoid them too after this experience. It is well known in marketing circles that one dissatisfied customer has more impact on sales than several happy ones. But of course WD aren’t listening - because if they were they would have sorted this out weeks ago.

“A firmware update is in development for the the My Book World (White Light), the My Book World II (White Light), and the WD ShareSpace to update the version of Netatalk (to 2.2). At the current time, there is no WD approved workaround available for these drives. Our current  estimated  time of arrival (ETA) for this update is for the  week  of August 29th, 2011. ”

Conversation at Apple Computer:

“I’m sorry Mr. Jobs, I know we told you the week of the 29th, but, yuh know, it just didn’t happen.  We’ll let  you know when we get that worked out, OK?”

I imagine those people would soon be working somewhere else, maybe for WD?

Well, don’t want to down-cry … :cry:

and probably they are working very hard on it and things got a bit delayed :dizzy_face:

But :cry: WD:

• it would have been nice if you kept those desperately waiting for an update, up-to-date with proceedings en possible delays

• actually add to this thread in a positive way, instead of the silence???

would be nice. 

DESASTER! NO MORE WD NETWORK DRIVE!

cabrinha71 wrote:

ITo sum it up: there should not be such thing as a legacy product in data storage that isn’t supported at anymore

Sure, now go and try to install Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on an 8GB SCSI drive.

With all my respect, I think that a 8 GB SCSI technology is by far very old to compare with a product that it’s on the market about a year :slight_smile: (MyBook World Edition II) … and I think it’s still on the market… :wink:

Hi,

I’d like to have an update for the lerease date of a new firmware for the My Book World edition.

It’s about one month Lion is out and most of the NAS device in commerce have updated their firmware… but  I currently cannot use my drive to perform time machine backup and access any privare folder created on the unit before switching to Lion.

Please, give us a workoround or release a fix soon.

Thank in advance,

paulitoweb

So would I - the indication was that this firmware update would be available last week.