Notice: The My Book World and Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)

I am planning to buy WD world edition ii 4 TB. I am also going to have the new MacBook air with Mac Lion OS X. Would i face compatibility issues with both of these?

Please advise if i should go for any other product. Thanxx.

Thanks for your post, I have just signed up for the WD community because Ive just recieved myBookWorld II today, and could not make it work with TimeMachine as im running Lion. I have made the huge mistake of buying the MyBook World Edition II. problem is I have bought it online, and I live really far from the US, Canada or the UK. I live in a small island in the Middle east called Bahrain. In any case, it does not look as though the fix for the issue is going to be released soo, will it?

And to answer your question about te Macboom Air running on Lion, whether it would have an issue or not! You WILL have an issue until the so called “upgrade” or “fix” is released, I have a dumb white plastic setting on my TV stand taking space, flashing some random
Lights, doing nothing. I should’ve bought LaCie, SeaGate, or Toshiba! Urghhhhhh

Tagging along…

To @rbarhat and @SBGhatam:  did you even READ any of the topic that you posted in???

As of today, Time Machine on Mac OS X Lion is not compatible with MyBook World II (but the drive still functions fine as a network drive).

As of Monday (barring unforeseen problems), there will be a firmware update for the MyBook World II and everything should work fine.

Simples!

@ Brownster Thanx a lot for the clarification. My main issue was compatibility, since the network drive will be up and running, majority of the purpose would be served. I also got an email from the customer care which mentions the following:

Western Digital is still in the process of testing the compatibility of the My Book World with Mac OS 10.7 (Lion). As of now we do not have an ETA for full support. As we complete our testing we will post updates to our support website:  http://support.wdc.com.

So i guess the time machine thing will also be resolved in a few days. Thanks…

SBGhatam wrote:
And to answer your question about te Macboom Air running on Lion, whether it would have an issue or not! You WILL have an issue until the so called “upgrade” or “fix” is released, I have a dumb white plastic setting on my TV stand taking space, flashing some random
Lights, doing nothing. I should’ve bought LaCie, SeaGate, or Toshiba! Urghhhhhh

The patch is supposed to be out very soon - so he should be fine if he is just ordering it now.

Also LaCie, SeaGate, network drives etc. all suffer from the same issue - WD is ahead of the pack in getting a fix released (they had the my book live patch out only a few weeks after lion came out!), and are actually fixing older products such as these (considering the support i’ve seen from some of these companies, i would be in utter shock if they updated older drives to be compatible)

What a slap in the face… the live just got another update and we wait… 

I will NEVER buy another WD product in my life…  I belive, don’t quote me, but it appears all other brands now have a firmware update for Lion. 

@Ardvark and @Brownster thanx a ton… Ordered it and got it… Working fine with my vista system… Am ordering the MBA in a day or so, and i think by that time the update would have come… So perfect timing for me i guess…

Copying my ext hard drive to the NAS… Got a 4 TB thing, so i’ve got plenty of space as of now… Feeling relaxed…

Ardvark wrote:> * * *

The patch is supposed to be out very soon - so he should be fine if he is just ordering it now.

Also LaCie, SeaGate, network drives etc. all suffer from the same issue - WD is ahead of the pack in getting a fix released (they had the my book live patch out only a few weeks after lion came out!), and are actually fixing older products such as these (considering the support i’ve seen from some of these companies, i would be in utter shock if they updated older drives to be compatible)

I can deal with the delays, especially since we have confirmation that a fix will be along sometime soon. What I have a hard time swallowing is the excuse that this is an older product.

I need to point out that the WD My Book Live is a current product that is still available for sale, from third party resellers as well as through WD directly.

If a product is still for sale, then it needs to be supported, and updated, otherwise it needs to be put into an End of Life Status - and clearly marked as such.

mabye when my pc blow up WD will release the update ^.^

You might want to do your homework with regards to LaCie before making statements…

They released their firmware update on the 23rd…   Network Space MAX Update

http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10195

Topher_75 wrote:

You might want to do your homework with regards to LaCie before making statements…

They released their firmware update on the 23rd…   Network Space MAX Update

http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10195

Still after WD released their My Book Live fix…and that appears to just be for their newest drive the " Network Space MAX "- Actually didn’t realize they had released one (last time I checked (about a week ago) there wasn’t even a statement of intent to release one at all (their knowledge base basicly just said “don’t upgrade” if I remeber right - that might have been Seagates… I think I posted it in an earlier post in this thread or in the MB Live thread) 

I can deal with the delays, especially since we have confirmation that a fix will be along sometime soon. What I have a hard time swallowing is the excuse that this is an older product.

I don’t think it’s an excuse at all - it makes sense that they would put out fixes for their most current stuff first (stuff most recently released, (these would be expected to work with new OS’s) and than go back and get as much stuff added as possible working their way back a generation or two (even though those products don’t even say they support Lion in the first place, and were being made well before Lion was a glint in Steve Job’s eye)

Just to let you guys know, it appears that the release won’t happen until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.  They are still finishing up the testing, and we don’t release updates on Fridays.  So, with the holiday on Monday, it’ll be Tuesday or Wednesday (9/6 or 9/7) of next week.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up.

How will the release be communicated?

I’ll announce it as I normally do.  I will also open a thread up that release, so you can post your experiences.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s an excuse at all - it makes sense that they would put out fixes for their most current stuff first (stuff most recently released, (these would be expected to work with new OS’s) and than go back and get as much stuff added as possible working their way back a generation or two (even though those products don’t even say they support Lion in the first place, and were being made well before Lion was a glint in Steve Job’s eye)

The fact guys is that these are not regular products that one buys regularly like a phone or even a laptop. This is a product i want to have so that despite changing all my gear and platforms, i still have all my data intact and i don’t have to bother through those copying sessions and still miss out on some data. A person buys such a product precisely so that it can meet the data requirements for a long time to come. Keeping this in mind the company should support even the oldest products and keep updating their firmwares, that will actually be value for money. This is not a cool gizmo that one shows off to others, it’s something that will rest in one bottom shelf and do all the magic. The value for money in this product is actually directly proportional to the number of years one go on without worrying about platforms etc on other devices. 

What I learned from reading here in the community forum is that my 1 month old "My Book World Edition II " is somehow marked as legacy product. I’m very confused now how to proceed with my backup strategy in my production environment.

As customer i thought a product which was recently updated to hold 2 x 3 TB harddisks is cutting edge technology.

And hey, i can buy it and see this product on the WD page still…

Yesterday I upgraded to Lion. I had to wait for an update from Apogee ( www.apogeedigital.com). They released a compatibility chart on their homepage at the day of Lion’s release, where my device (Duet 1) was listed as incompatible. The update was announced for August 2011 which ended yesterday night. The product is marked as legacy product and noone can buy it from Apogee or one of it’s distributors, because they released a new series, the Duet 2. Anyway, it’s working since yesterday together with Lion.

Is there a reliable source were I can look up if the WD product i’m planing to buy will be supported or is marked as an “old” product? I recently bought 2 Firewire harddisks from WD (2 x WD MyBook Studio II ) - Is that also a legacy product ?

I can wait for the firmware update for the MyBook World and switch it off - i don’t want it to become older than it is…
But can i rely on my WD MyBook Studios ? This would be my “backup” backup-strategy … But if they are marked as legacy i don’t know what to do [edit] if one of the drives are failing - will i get support? Or should I [/edit] Buy another WD product?   

I gave you a star for keeping us up-to-date. Thanks.

Good to hear that this will be out next week.

Just a word to those thinking of switching to LaCie I have purchased 3 expensive LaCie external drives and all have died in and just out of warrenty. Doesn’t matter - if you have lost your data you have lost your data. Switched to WD 2 years ago and have 3 all of which continue to perform without problem (current issue excluded).

Shame there has been so much froth and blather about this issue I know its impotant, I have my Time Machine on my network WD drive but haven’t fully committed to Lion yet and will run dual boot especially as PPC apps lost on Lion.

coconut wrote:

What I learned from reading here in the community forum is that my 1 month old "My Book World Edition II " is somehow marked as legacy product. I’m very confused now how to proceed with my backup strategy in my production environment.

As customer i thought a product which was recently updated to hold 2 x 3 TB harddisks is cutting edge technology.

And hey, i can buy it and see this product on the WD page still…

Yesterday I upgraded to Lion. I had to wait for an update from Apogee ( www.apogeedigital.com). They released a compatibility chart on their homepage at the day of Lion’s release, where my device (Duet 1) was listed as incompatible. The update was announced for August 2011 which ended yesterday night. The product is marked as legacy product and noone can buy it from Apogee or one of it’s distributors, because they released a new series, the Duet 2. Anyway, it’s working since yesterday together with Lion.

Is there a reliable source were I can look up if the WD product i’m planing to buy will be supported or is marked as an “old” product? I recently bought 2 Firewire harddisks from WD (2 x WD MyBook Studio II ) - Is that also a legacy product ?

I can wait for the firmware update for the MyBook World and switch it off - i don’t want it to become older than it is…
But can i rely on my WD MyBook Studios ? This would be my “backup” backup-strategy … But if they are marked as legacy i don’t know what to do [edit] if one of the drives are failing - will i get support? Or should I [/edit] Buy another WD product?   

They have a list of drives and their supported OS’s in article 1708 in their knowledgebase - it looks like Lion hasn’t been added to it yet, but in general this is a good place to look to see if your drive will work with a specific OS. It goes way back into legacy products (your drive is not legacy (like the blue rings)- it’s just older and closer to becoming a legacy product - if it was legacy no patch would (likely) be coming out for it) so you can even see if your old dual option drive worked with Windows 98…