Notice: The My Book World and Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)

The general ‘vibe’ (if you will) of last week was that update was going to be released BEFORE last Friday. However, due to some alluded-to last-minute issues during testing, Bill_S said that they will be releasing it Tuesday, Sept 6 at the earliest (due to Labor Day holiday or something, correct me if I’m wrong).

My guess is that it will be this week some time.

dimitris wrote:

With all my respect, I think that a 8 GB SCSI technology is by far very old to compare with a product that it’s on the market about a year :slight_smile: (MyBook World Edition II) … and I think it’s still on the market… :wink:

Nope, it’s been out since the first half of 2009 (Over two years), and SCSI drives are still “on the market” since you can get them at eBay…

1 Like

Okay, maybe there are storage producs that aren’t supported anymore, especially when there’s a technology leap, lets say comparable to the disappearance of iomega’s zip drives. But then I would expect the provider to announce that in time and make a reasonable upgrading offer. Someting like: please be aware that with the release of Lion in 3 months, mybook World will not be supported anymore. Please upgrade to bla bla bla. If you do so until bla bla, we’ll give you 10% discount or whatever…

But thats obviousy wishful thinking!

1 Like

Still waiting… any news ?

I can understand why @Bill_S was reluctant to give an ETA now, when people jump all over it and vent when the estimate turns out to be a couple of days out.

Just chill people!!!  It will be here in a day or two and will presumably be thoroughly tested and good to go.

And as for the perceived “lack of update/communication”, it was very clear to me that it would be delayed by a day or two and combined with the weekend/US public holiday meant that it would be Tuesday before they knew any more. Read the posts!

I think that you refered in SCSI 8 gb :wink: to your comparison , not the entire SCSI technology , which of course still exists… and yes maybe the product is from 2009, but you STILL don’t buy it from EBAY but the ONLINE shop of Western Digital… 

I’m aware of the time developers need , thats why I’m waiting (with all of you) one month+ for the firmware update… but I think that all we should be a little more neutral… The coin always has 2 sides…

And wait until Western Digital gets vaporized by the clouds that are looming on the horizon?

Thanks Brownster and   dimitris.   That is the problem with giving an ETA.  However, even when we have to fudge the dates, it still gives us an idea of when things should happen.   I will do it as often as I can.   I’m expecting it to be today or tomorrow, as I said. 

4 Likes

eddie68 wrote:

Bill

I have tried to load the new firmware three times and I still cannot backup either through time machine or via Windows Vista.  Where do I get help?  Thanks

Ted Smith

That’s because the firmware hasn’t been released yet.

1 Like

I have been patient.  I have checked weekly for an update for my product.

I have not written because I believed that a company that wants my further business would work hard to remedy something they were informed about long ago.  It appears that WD does not want people who have Macs as customers.  I understand.  The problem is that I have bought more than one WD My Book World’s for use with my Macs both for home and office.  I really don’t want to replace them.  So I am patiently waiting for you to do your jobs.  It would be nice if you gave us some idea of when we can expect to get to our important information. 

It **bleep** to be held hostage to you all, and I feel like the praise I once praised on you to others of my friends for your products seems to be unfounded.  I am not certain that I will be purchasing another of your products even though I liked them up to this point.

It is time for you to remedy this problem for which you were given adequate warning.

At this time, I check more frequently this thread than my facebook wall…

1 Like

I second that.

I believe everything has already been said. This is amatuer hour for the folks at WD. It is embarassing that they let this slip through the cracks. I would lose my business if I left my customers in the dark like this.

Well I agree with these recent posts.

I think that WD have been absolutely useless and in particular very remiss in the supply of information. It took a lot of digging to find this thread for instance and initially typing “Lion” "Mac or “Firmware” brought no information otices, apologies or explanations.

The frustration is evident from all these negative posts.

Perhaps this is just the way that large IT companies will operate in the future - it is the same trying to get responses from Google.

The only action we can take is to stop buying WD products and to let others know why but frankly it wont have much effect.

platinumtone wrote:> … The only action we can take is to stop buying WD products and to let others know why but frankly it wont have much effect.

It may not have an immediate effect, but remember that one of the best ways to show your dissatisfaction is to NOT buy the company’s products going forward. Every purchase counts…

Greetings to all

I’m in the same situation with all people here in this forum, so do start yelling me :smileyvery-happy: I understand how we all feel and yes I know maybe WD is taking to long to solve this issue - remember I can’t access my work either… Too many posts blaming WD for lack of readiness, even tha WD doesn’t want Apple customers ! (they have a complete product line with products for Mac) 

Gentlemen , I will ask us one question (including mysefl) : “Who took the decision buying and installing Lion OS so early?” I had Snow Leopard and I was working fine ! Who took the decision to change protocols with network drives in the new OS ? (Apple?) 

We have made the support forum in a court of law … Ok that’s fine to me, but we should “bring in front” Apple and ourselfs… 

I think the order to blame is : 1/ Ourselves (we should wait one or two months) 2/ Apple (because changed the protocols and now they don’t take responsibility of nothing) and last 3/ WD 

Ending I would like to add that I send my problem in Apple 3 times and you don’t want to know what answer I got back : nothing, the don’t give a s#$% :smileyvery-happy:

WD is trying, keep up in touch with this support forum and in the email they respond ASAP

Just for the record …

2 Likes

Greetings to all, 

I see too much frustration and most of you being trigger happy with your flame gun towards WD. 

Bill_S the moderator of this Thread explained the whole situation and what caused the delay. 

He even gave an ETA and frequent updates on the unforseen delays I don’t think you can ask for more from them.

In the end World book  is a consumer product not and Enteprise product if you want Business day support you should pay for it, otherwise you’ll have to wait … as it is on a best effort basis.

2 Likes

I would like to remind you that is WD who is building Apple Time Machine compatible drives, and not Apple making WD drives compatible back up software. So it is WD responsibility to keep the drives compatible and not Apple’s fault to upgrade the software to enhance performance or security. 

I haven’t upgrade to Lion yet because I have been around enough to know that  this or something like this would happen and I wanted to be sure before the upgrade. But I cannot blame all those users who upgraded from the 1st day. To me it’s clearly WD fault. The firmware upgrade should have been published before the Lion. The Lion was out as a beta long enough and one of the  purposes of the beta software is for the developers to adjust their products, if they want to stay compatible that is.

Besides the TM isssue, does anyone else have to reboot their MyBookWorld White Lite several times a day? I have never figured out why it disconnects for the Mac only.

Topher_75

Do you have HDD Standby enabled under Advanced settings?