There has been a lot of discussion about this, but I’ve tried some replacement options and I’m still not convinced. So is there a product that matches this New/Improved WDTVLIVEHUB Checklist?
- I don’t want to run a Plex/Kodi/XMBC server. I don’t have to now; my WD box just finds what’s out there on my local Ethernet network.
- Local storage is important (I take my WD box traveling with a 5TB portable drive, and have 1000 good, commercial free, movies to watch on the hotel flat screen TV). Android boxes that top out at 2TB are so 20th Century!
- Gigabit Ethernet and a couple of USB 3.0 or better ports would be nice.
- Resume/Restart functionality. I’ve bought two Android media players and could not believe they forced me to Restart ALWAYS! I can come back to a Movie, TV episode, etc. weeks later and pick up where we left off. You have to write a data record; WD does; nobody else seems to be able to figure it out.
- No streaming is NOT the WD replacement for the 21st Century. I have 5000+ good movies (and a few stinkers), 2000+ TV episodes, 300+ documentaries, 120 Teaching Company courses. More movies than Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. (And they have a lot of stinkers. Just sayin’.)