Newbie question on wd tv live, thanks for any help!

Hi all,

I’m kind of new to all this media player/nas storage stuff, so I’m sorry if I may say something stupid. We bought not so long ago a Synology disk station which we use to store all our music/movies/pictures/etc. I’m really no expert on this so it’s kind of deafult. Before the synology we had a ACRyan with internal storage (not sure if you guys know this) as a media player, not very handy as we had to copy everything every time and the interface is just bad. So part of the reaosn why we bought the Synology, which works very good. 

Now we’re looking for a media player to replace this acryan, basically we want it to stream everyhting directly from the synology, it needs to be fast and good looking, important for me as well if the interface to access the movies, I would like to see all the info about the movie, like covers, genre, etc, and another important for us is a composite connection as our sound system is pretty old,a nd we don’t want to turn on the tv every time we listen to some music, which make the remote control app quite handy as well. Now a friend of ours has a WD TV Live and it pretty much does what we want, just the interface I don’t really like, it pretty much is like a file explorer and I would like a bit more out of the media player.

For this I’ve been trying to look arounf the forum for these themes to see how they look and how easy they are, but I’ve read as well in some posts that only this Alaska theme works for the WD TV Live, and most themes are for the hub, I havn’t bought the WD Live tv yet, but I want ot make sure that it will do what we want, can someone inform me on this themes things and how they work? and whether there is indeed a theme that may meet our wishes??

Thanks a lot for your help, I’m really a newbie in this things :slight_smile:

Diana

Hello, Diana

Welcome to the Forum :smiley:

Unfortunately i cannot answer your question regarding Synology Disk Station

But, i can answer that my Alaska Theme will work with :

WDTV Live Hub

WDTV Live Streaming Media Player (SMP)

Themes Developed for either the SMP or Live Hub will work on both devices

Personally, i developed the Alaska theme on the Live Hub … but i ensured the *.zip files were compatible for SMP owners as well.

well speed when used with synology is all dependant on what model, share protocol, wired/wireless, etc …

as far as will it work, yes it can/will work

my Dad’s set up is a synology 1512+ , 2 x WD SMP, 1 WD Live Plus

all work just fine on his wired network