New software

When will the official release be available?
Still stuck on 7.16.0-220
Very much looking forward to it!

8.5.1-102…

2 Likes

For the ones waiting for the final release, it look like the version 8.5.1-102 is the public release, you have the changelog in te following link My Cloud also they send me and mail saying that they gonna update in the following days.

1 Like

Mandaram tbm, sera que vira algo novo, no aplicativo do pc nao esta abrindo, a parte apps e compartilhamentos.

No news regarding the new software?

how to get it? more than a month has passed

I tried playing around with that information, hoping to enable SSH on the original firmware.

1. mount -o remount,rw /wd_config
  2. touch /wd_config/enable_root

Next I took sshd from Debian Buster (ARM64) and placed it on a USB drive together with my SSH public key (id_ecdsa.pub) and an SSH host key (ssh_host_rsa_key).

Unfortunately later on, there is a step fw_verify which requires some certificate (sshd.cert).

Conclusion

Without a USB rescue or a serial connection we currently cannot touch the enable_root on the config partition.

We currently don’t have a valid certificate file to show (any certificate would do, if you happen to catch one during OTA…)

1 Like

My duo just updated to 8.9.0-108.

The question is: any news on the docker access?
can it be used to develop apps or to install any personal app?

Cheers

Hello SycoAlex, I’m currently on vacation so I can’t check the device. Docker on the duo with the original firmware is only for WD developers to make “Do more” apps. Alex-N tried to activate ssh access without success. in theory if you get ssh access you can use docker, don’t know if you break the firmware in such case. If you had any knowledge of programming I can share the initialization scripts with you so you can try to install ssh access, that’s all I can do because,right now, i have my two cloud home duo with clean Debian, and don’t have any need to go to the original firmware.

2 Likes

Just received update 8.10.2-100 which is not yet listed in changelos.

Cheers

1 Like

I was notified my cloud home duo received update 8.11.0-113

Details here My Cloud

Cheers

Hello zeusjan any news on your efforts on the home duo? is there any chance we can use grub on the new firmware to dual boot? thanks

Lately I don’t have time, so I don’t look into it. Installing GRUB is impossible (at least for me). The Realtek platform have various options for dual booting, but implied messing with the bootloader and right now doesn’t make a lot of sense (WD ditch android and now works with debian). The best option is to take advantage of the double partition on the emmc and change one of the OS images to your liking, and let the other one with the original, but you are going to lose everything with an ota when you boot into the original firmware.

1 Like

https://releasenotes.mycloud.com/#8.12.0-178

Interesting: local access without internet access…

1 Like

Does the disk stops spinning when not used?

How to Enable Local Network Access to Data on My Cloud Home and ibi Using the Dashboard

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/34991/~/how-to-enable-local-network-access-to-data-on-my-cloud-home-and-ibi-using-the

vero very interesting… thank you guys at WD!

Be aware, serial access is now password protected (starting from v.8.12)!!!
Besides that the software is becoming just great! Finally!

Before I got shut out, I managed to get a glimpse at how they do the OTA updates:

3819 root      2344 S    fw_update -r /usr/local/upload/install.img -v 8.13.0-131
 3939 root      3712 S    sh -c busybox tar xvOf /usr/local/upload/install.img KDP/system.bin | busybox dd of=/dev/sda bs=512 seek=499712 count=467896
 3940 root      3712 S    busybox tar xvOf /usr/local/upload/install.img KDP/system.bin
 3941 root      3712 R    busybox dd of /dev/sda bs 512 seek 499712 count 467896
  1. install.img apparently contains system.bin - that’s the part that gets mounted to /usr/local/tmp
  2. the actual content is a file called image.cfs which gets loop-mounted to /usr/local/modules
  3. If we would be able to modify the system.bin/image.cfs, we’d be able start arbitrary code

Does “usb rescue” still work on the new firmware?

“usb rescue” still works, the Bootloader is left untouched

Do you know if in the new firmware the disk stops if not used? Thanks