New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

In reply to richUK’s question of what operating system I am running.

Win 7 Pro

I, too, am using Windows 7 (but I don’t have any kind of “WD Live” driver on my PC). For comparison, my full set up is:

Two Linksys WRT150N routers (yes, I know they’re old), wired to each other. One is the router and connects to the cable modem. The other is an access point on the opposite end of the house. Both are using different Wireless N wide channels.

My gaming rig, which is currently hosting my media, is a modern, Windows 7 PC wired directly to the router. I also have an XP laptop using WiFi.

Two WD TV Lives, using Wifi. One in the upstairs, and one in the downstairs. I also, have a Roku 3 and HD. I turned these off just in case they were interfering. No change.

I access my media via Windows shares (again, residing on my PC). When I first updated to the latest firmware, neither WD could “see” the shares, but a reboot took care of that. But the throughput is horrendous. No amount of resetting/reboot would fix it. Curiously, the downstairs device worked fine at first, after a reset/reboot. It stopped soon after. Reverting to the older firmware fixes the issue.

I’d never heard of a “master browser” until two/three days ago, but I checked while having the issue, and it was my PC. Yesterday, while everything was fine, I checked again and it was my upstairs WD. I turned off the Windows shares server on both devices, and the master browser has since become my laptop (I have no idea what this means).

I still have no issue with the old firmware and I’m reluctant to mess with it. Please don’t take that as criticism. I know these kinds of issues can be difficult to diagnose (especially when the people in the know aren’t having problems), and people need to be patient.

Thanks.

Have to keep rebooting device to play any files on connected storage device.  Just get a turning wheel otherwise.

shell820810 wrote:

Have to keep rebooting device to play any files on connected storage device.  Just get a turning wheel otherwise.

Have you tried resetting to factory defaults via the setup menu and unplugging from power for a few minutes. Eject your connected device first.

Have to keep rebooting device to play any files on connected storage device. Just get a turning wheel otherwise.

Have you tried resetting to factory defaults via the setup menu and unplugging from power for a few minutes. Eject your connected device first.

Yes I reset it yesterday and it worked.  But  I turned it back on today and had the same issue.

Updated over wi-fi. Worked fine. Had mixed luck connecting to Windows shares. Turned on today and it kept telling me my password is incorrect. Decided to do a factory reset, switched off for a few minutes and turned back on. Still telling me my password is incorrect. I had to stop myself throwing the effin remote at the telly! All worked fine before the upgrade by the way. Right, where’s the previous firmware link?..I’m going back!..

Thats windows shares for you a nightmare  and mess all rolled into one.

I got tired of dealing with it and made a freenas box from a old pc and share from it using nfs and smb

Far less of a headache and nothing goess poof off the home internet.

There also the plex server which is free and bypasses the windows share issue.

Reboot the pc with the shares and your router and all should be fine once you boot the wd up.

This isn’t the wd but the info being outdated from the pc and router and doing the above should fix that.

pinkthing wrote:

Updated over wi-fi. Worked fine. Had mixed luck connecting to Windows shares. Turned on today and it kept telling me my password is incorrect. Decided to do a factory reset, switched off for a few minutes and turned back on. Still telling me my password is incorrect. I had to stop myself throwing the effin remote at the telly! All worked fine before the upgrade by the way. Right, where’s the previous firmware link?..I’m going back!..

I assume that if you had password you entered it again after the reset.

Rollback firmware here.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

Back at the gool old 1.4.12 again. So my TuneIn stations are playing again.

My player had some issues with the screen too. It flicks blank for a flash of a second while playing music.

My player is connected to a Denon receiver using HDMI. When the screen flashes the tv is trying to match that signal and the receiver mutes the sound for a brief period.

Also, the remote responded slow.

Has anyone had the update work first time? If so did it take a very long time?

yeah, most of the regulars around here are reporting no or very few problems

myself included, update took about 2 - 3 minutes

and worked without a hitch

Just did it and all seems good! thx

WD tech support called me today, I had opened a case number on this update problem, they in essence told me two things if you could not get windows share to work:
1…It may be a while before they have a fix for the update problems.
2.roll back if you have not yet done so and leave it on 1.16.13 until they get a fix in place

thedog wrote:

WD tech support called me today, I had opened a case number on this update problem, they in essence told me two things if you could not get windows share to work:
2.roll back if you have not yet done so and leave it on 1.16.13 until they get a fix in place

Seems to be the bottom line. I don’t know what I could possibly be doing wrong if I have rolled back to 1.16.13 and my Shares are just fine.

ukiltmybrutha wrote:

thedog wrote:

Seems to be the bottom line. I don’t know what I could possibly be doing wrong if I have rolled back to 1.16.13 and my Shares are just fine.

Yeah, problems are hard to diagnose without some visibility and the ability to recreate the issue. This weekend I’m hoping to get some time to collect some comparative logs with a sniffer. See I can’t figure out why my shares aren’t working right with the new firmware.

Also, I was searching around for answers, and found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430

Anyone in the know think this might be relevant? I’ve written a lot of socket software, but I have no experience as a sys. admin.

DrXenos wrote:

ukiltmybrutha wrote:

thedog wrote:

Yeah, problems are hard to diagnose without some visibility and the ability to recreate the issue. This weekend I’m hoping to get some time to collect some comparative logs with a sniffer. See I can’t figure out why my shares aren’t working right with the new firmware.

Also, I was searching around for answers, and found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430

Anyone in the know think this might be relevant? I’ve written a lot of socket software, but I have no experience as a sys. admin.

Can you help with this.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WANTED-Someone-with-Share-problems-after-2-01-86-that-can-run/td-p/639301

it’s possible, but I doubt it, that’s vista only

and many have reported issues with win7

but if you’re willing to do that you should work with tony

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WANTED-Someone-with-Share-problems-after-2-01-86-that-can-run/td-p/639301

he’s offering his expertise to anaylize packet captures

I saw that, and really want to but I don’t want to make a commitment I’m not sure I can keep. I don’t have a lot of free time. If I find time this weekend to get some logs, I’m happy to share them.

I know that’s for Visa, but 7 is derived from Visa. It most likely has the same feature. I thought it was worth at least bringing up.