New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

Careful with this upgrade!!!

If you use NFS shares, you can browse your files, but cannot access them any more. Secondly even WD’s own Net View and WD Discovery not recognize their own products any more.

I had to downgrade my firmware to be able to access my movie library again. ANd teh WD tools are happy again as well.

aknoefel wrote:

If you use NFS shares, you can browse your files, but cannot access them any more. Secondly even WD’s own Net View and WD Discovery not recognize their own products any more.

I had to downgrade my firmware to be able to access my movie library again. ANd teh WD tools are happy again as well.

KAD79 noted in a previous post that

" I will confirm that previous firmwares used NFS over UDP this firmware uses NFS over TCP"

Perhaps something to do with this?

-P

@aknoefe Not a fact.  I use only NFS shares and have no problem listing or playing.  I am not saying that you are not experiencing problems with NFS but it is by no means an universal problem.

agreed no NFS problems here

but there was a big change to NFS

it now uses TCP, previous firmwares use UDP

one of the first things I did was turn off my firewall completely and it did nothing to help the problem.

Great update, but severely disappointed that Amazon Prime live streaming is still not supported. Until that happens, 4 of 5 stars.

Thanks, and keep up the great work. It’s much appreciated. :slight_smile:

aknoefel wrote:

Yes, I am having this exact problem! I can’t browse my movies anymore. What do I do besides downgrade!!? 

EDIT: I’m using Mezzmo to share and play my media files to my TV (organizes the files VERY nicely) and now that NFS is over TCP, I went into my Asus router settings and added the port Mezzmo is using to stream files. When adding the port trigger I chose TCP instead of UDP and then the WD Live device is now picking up my shared Media server name again. 

Hope this helps someone. 

I continued experimenting with the Windows share problem with the latest WDTVLIVE firmware update (2.01.86). I tried accessing the external hard drive (1TB WD Elements) connected to the USB port of the WDTVLIVE unit with two different computers via Wi-Fi with the same results:

First I tried to open the network from either PC and noticed there was no WDTVLIVE icon listed.

After trying several times for a few minutes I would finally see a WDTVLIVE icon.

Next I attempted to open the icon to see the contents of the hard drive connected to the WDTVLIVE unit without any luck. I would repeatedly get the “Windows can not find \WDTVLIVE” message.

However, after several attempts, the contents of the 1TB external hard drive as well as a 64GB thumb drive revealed its contents and allowed me to transfer files from either computer.

That is super weird. It would finally share but only after many attempts and several minutes. Some occasions were worse than others.

The previous firmware allowed almost instant access to the drives from any PC. Even if the external hard drive was in sleep mode, access to the drive over the Wi-Fi Windows share would take only about 5-7 seconds.

PowerMan572 wrote:

aknoefel wrote:

Yes, I am having this exact problem! I can’t browse my movies anymore. What do I do besides downgrade!!? 

EDIT: I’m using Mezzmo to share and play my media files to my TV (organizes the files VERY nicely) and now that NFS is over TCP, I went into my Asus router settings and added the port Mezzmo is using to stream files. When adding the port trigger I chose TCP instead of UDP and then the WD Live device is now picking up my shared Media server name again. 

Hope this helps someone. 

if that works, it works, great

but mezzmo is a dnla server, not an nfs server

KAD79 wrote:

PowerMan572 wrote:

aknoefel wrote:

Hope this helps someone. 

if that works, it works, great

but mezzmo is a dnla server, not an nfs server

Yes… it didn’t work :frowning:  I’m back to not being able to see Mezzmo. Always comes back as “No content source available.”

Any ideas?

jimfitter wrote:

Great update, but severely disappointed that Amazon Prime live streaming is still not supported. Until that happens, 4 of 5 stars.

I find it strange to denote a product for a feature that was NEVER advertized nor promised.

Amazon Prime support would really be great.  In fact any list of such services without it has a pretty big hole.  Geez, if they never advertised that my phone would have a 5 and then left it off, I’d be upset.

I know nothing can support everything, but I agree that the product is missing something important here.

I agree with TF, never had it, wouldn’t expect to see it anytime in the near future either.

Now, if you really want to use it (as I do) there are sooooo many ways you can add it, just go and get it done. Here are four ways that I can access Amazon at my house, pricing  from Free to $99

1. My Bluray player has Amazon

2. My Roku has Amazon

3. My PlayOn server pushes Amazon to my WD boxes

4. My Plex Server pushes Amazon to my WD boxes

If it is important to you, you wont wait and hope that WD makes an app for it, you will find a way to put it on your network and be watching it tomorrow.

Just get it done and enjoy it.

-P

Unp had a habit of loosing shares requiring a hard reboot to restore them back to the device and hence the change to tcp was made.

Nfs works fine and in fact works better then it ever has.

Turn on windows shares and right click on any folder you wish to share .

The wd can see windows shares fine and the logon and password would be the same as what you use to log into windows.

This well have no affect on mezzmo and you can run both at the same time.

On a side note mezzmo does what the plex media server does but plex is free.

PS you are likely going to need to reboot the ccomputer router and wd after the shares are setup but that should be the only time.

What if you don’t use a login for Windows? I updated my WD TV Live and it all works great, except that it asks me for a login now to reach the shared folders. The reason I ask is that I think it might be part of the problem, the WD is looking for something that has a PW when there isn’t one.

Thanks

The wd ask for a logon just like most devices do unless told otherwise.

its actually quite simple alough it can be confusing since it ask in the first place.

Just leave them blanck and check the box for saving.

You may need to reboot the pc and router , plus unplug and then plug back in the wd.

This is to clear out all the old [Deleted] left over and should let you connect fine.

That’s excatly what I just did and it seems to be working. I’ll be playing with again later tonight and we’ll see how it goes, thanks!

Eventually I think I’ll be going to a Synology box and not messing with a Windows computer as the storage device. Am I wrong to assume that would be a more ideal solution?

Yeah smb are ok but not the best menthod.

Dlna great for  sharing to device like a android tablet but you tend to need a decent client software on the other end.

Synology box are very nice and work great but they can be quite costly.

A possiablely cheaper and upgradeable mtnehod is to use a old pc and set up freenas on it.

Works the same as Synologybox but your not limited to say two drives and you can upgrade it easly.

My freenas box has 16 tb and shares both nfs and smb (for windows acess)

May intemadating at first but its actually easy to setup and once done it just works.

Alos glad its working now.

KBJ2007 wrote:

That’s excatly what I just did and it seems to be working. I’ll be playing with again later tonight and we’ll see how it goes, thanks!

Eventually I think I’ll be going to a Synology box and not messing with a Windows computer as the storage device. Am I wrong to assume that would be a more ideal solution?

There really is no “ideal” solution. I use a Windows File Server with failover drives and it works great. Lots of folks here use hardware NAS’ and love them. Others use FreeNas and build their own appliance. Anyway the job gets done is the ideal solution. The point its that as long as you can get a device to house your files, and make them available via SMB, NFS or DLNA, you are in good shape. 

If you are having problems getting your SMP to connect to your windows machines, I’d want to solve that issue first and worry about your storage solution once you are sure your networking setup is solid.

-P