New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

Turn the TV on and only then the WDTV?

Not sure what you ask but TV (when powering WDTV) is allways turned ON.

Flash214:

It is definitely not you. This latest firmware seems to have an issue with WiFi. I’ve been told over and over in this forum that my problem was my network, that it was too slow. Yet, when I go back to the previous forum, it works fine.

Then, I was told it only worked because I was streaming DVDs rips, and not anything HD. So, I bought some Blu-rays (approximately 10x the file size and bit rate). They still stream fine with the old firmware, over WiFi.

I’ll admit that is not 100% conclusive that it’s the firmware, but the only variable (that I can see) between my setup working and and not working, is the firmware.

I still love my WD TV Lives, though! Great devices.

DrX

What a mess.  I had to revert back a version of firmware too due to wifi issues and file sharing problems. 

Anybody else having issues moving files after playing them on a NTFS-drive?

In my case it’s a USB-stick attached to the front-port.

The drives are passing chkdsk-scannings, but very often, when stopping (by pressing stop, not back) the playback of a file and then moving the file to a different folder, the moving-animation takes a very long time (~20s) and ends with an error like “cannot move, read-only file”.

And as a result, the file as a whole is gone.

When running chkdsk /f on the drive afterwards, the file is being restored in the folder to which I have moved it.

chkdsk f:/f
The type of the file system is NTFS.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
  1152 file records processed.
File verification completed.
  0 large file records processed.
  0 bad file records processed.
  0 EA records processed.
  0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
  1352 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory.
  1 unindexed files scanned.
CHKDSK is recovering remaining unindexed files.
  1 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
  1152 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  101 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  531216 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

I have un trouble with the last firmware…

When I look at a movie in DTS, at the end of 1 hour and a half, there is cut of sound and suddenly a big “buzz”. I specify that my live wd tv is connected(bound) in HDMI with an amplifier yamaha and that tracks them its digital dolby do not raise problem…

Same situation here.

WD Live + Yamaha YHT-196. It can happen after 15 minutes or 1 hour after WD Live is turned on, and once it is happened one time, it does not happen again since a WD Live reboot.

Seems like the WD Live begins to lose the audio because just before the big “buzz” I can hear the audio going off for very short time, and then a big buzz can be heard. The only way is to change the source (for example switch to TV and then switch back to WD Live on the amplifier) or to stop the movie and then play it again.

Seems like that there is some trouble with the hdmi sync for the audio part. Happens with last fw and also with the previous one for me

SuperMario86 wrote:

Same situation here.

WD Live + Yamaha YHT-196. It can happen after 15 minutes or 1 hour after WD Live is turned on, and once it is happened one time, it does not happen again since a WD Live reboot.

Seems like the WD Live begins to lose the audio because just before the big “buzz” I can hear the audio going off for very short time, and then a big buzz can be heard. The only way is to change the source (for example switch to TV and then switch back to WD Live on the amplifier) or to stop the movie and then play it again.

Seems like that there is some trouble with the hdmi sync for the audio part. Happens with last fw and also with the previous one for me

This issue is under investigation. 

My Slingplayer app seems to be having issues. While away at a friends house, I can sucsessfully log in to slingbox using a pc so it’s not an issue with the slingbox. The slingplayer app seems to know when someone else is connected (using the slingbox and asks me if I want to kick them off). But when trying to start the stream it gives me a Timeout error 10003. Do I need to open a port or something [on the friends router]? I have upnp on so it should work. I’ve gotten the app on the wdtv to work in the same friends house before on previous firmware. The friend’s router is a linksys e1000.

I am also suffering this weird issue . To avoid it I had to connect my WDTVLIVE to my Yamaha home cinema trought the optical output :confounded:

Robothief wrote:

SuperMario86 wrote:

Same situation here.

This issue is under investigation. 

thank you very much.

Feel free to ask any information you want, if I can I would be pleased to help

In addition to that, I can say that to my Yamaha amplifier I have connected a DTT decoder and a BluRay Player, and I have no problem at all with these, always using bypass option to let the yamaha decode itself the audio stream.

Techflaws, why that condescending tone? You have absolutely no right to use it, looking at your post history and your ‘understanding’ of the involved technologies.

Ah, the Dunning-Kruger Effect in all its “glory.”

I cannot understand why a mod would leave such a post.  But I guess if it is kosher then so is mine, eh?

deadlock wrote:

You have absolutely no right to use it, looking at your post history and your ‘understanding’ of the involved technologies.

Says the guy who constantly fails at using an argument from authority that impresses noone. At least I can get my WDTVs to work fine in my networks :wink:

Techflaws wrote:

deadlock wrote:

You have absolutely no right to use it, looking at your post history and your ‘understanding’ of the involved technologies.

Says the guy who constantly fails at using an argument from authority that impresses noone. At least I can get my WDTVs to work fine in my networks :wink:

Neither your denying the documented problems that most people have impresses anyone.

now, **bleep** everyone about your pride and stuff and get back to the discussion topic.

This thread is taking a personal stance. This is not productive to the community.

Regards,

1 Like

SuperMario86 wrote

Neither your denying the documented problems that most people have impresses anyone.

Really? So where does this “most people” come from, your personal survey or your sample size of people in this thread ( none of which bothered to take up Tony’s offer to get to the bottom of the 2.01.86 network problem)?

From what I’ve seen here and on Amazon, most people don’t have problems which is why the device is still selling. I’m also not denying anything when I (and the majority of people) am having a completely different experience on the very same hardware and firmware and therefore have a shred of doubt about people’s 100% certainty about the cause. I’ve seen too many self-proclaimed IT experts blaiming the WDTV (“20 years in the field, never seen such a crappy device”) only to later admit it was their antivirus that blocked network connections. And for all his impressive expertise, we’re still waiting for deadlock to put money where his mouth is.

SuperMario86 wrote

now, **bleep** everyone about your pride and stuff and get back to the discussion topic.

So, who died and made you mod?

Techflaws wrote:

SuperMario86 wrote

Really? So where does this “most people” come from, your personal survey or your sample size of people in this thread ( none of which bothered to take up Tony’s offer to get to the bottom of the 2.01.86 network problem)?

From what I’ve seen here and on Amazon, most people don’t have problems which is why the device is still selling. I’m also not denying anything when I (and the majority of people) am having a completely different experience on the very same hardware and firmware and therefore have a shred of doubt about people’s 100% certainty about the cause. I’ve seen too many self-proclaimed IT experts blaiming the WDTV (“20 years in the field, never seen such a crappy device”) only to later admit it was their antivirus that blocked network connections. And for all his impressive expertise, we’re still waiting for deadlock to put money where his mouth is.

SuperMario86 wrote

So, who died and made you mod?

the fact that you do not have any problem does not mean that every one else’s problem isn’t real.

Maybe the network shares problem that so many people have is referred to a particular network setup or topology, or a particular device they are using that can interfere with the WD Live system.

Anyone that works in a tech support should know that if one person is reporting a problem, it could be a real problem; if two people report the same problem, it should be a real problem; if more than two people are reporting a problem, it is surely a real problem. Tha fact that after the upgrade so many people reported this problem about the network shares (not only one thread, but more) means that there is something wrong with this fw, without any doubt. And, like I said, maybe it is caused by a certain configuration, so not everyone is affected. Only WD engineering team and lots of test can discover what is wrong, we can only make hypothesis.

And finally, people come here to get help from other normal people, not from WD tech support directly. They can be nerdy or they can be complete n00bs, and in neither of the two cases they want to be answered in a rude or in an ironic way like you do almost all the time.

I never said that people’s problems weren’t real so why do you come up with this straw man? Me being rude or ironic “almost all the time” is as meaningful as your previous “documented problems most people have”, i.e. not at all.  I have no problems whatsoever with people asking in a friendly manner but if someone thinks he’s gotta show up here to b!tch (about WD) and spew pointless ad hominems, I’m replying in kind.

So, can we get back to topic now? If the topic is network problems of 2.01.86, I suggest you browse some of the network related threads where people are trying to get to the bottom of this.

So another 2 months gone by and still no update to the awful 2.01.86.

I can confirm all my whinges about 2.01.86 hold true after a further 2 months on previous version. iPlayer is rock solid as it ever was, Youtube lean back looks great and at least works, even though it does often crash at end of video, don’t get the source removed unless Windows server of shares taken down, can add favourites though it can crash when deleting them. Resume works, which is my biggest bugbear about 2.01.86.

It does make u wonder just how many people are left working on this product.

Does anyone know WD’s committment to ever fixing the software before they stop selling/drop support for this wonderous box of tricks and move on?