How to resolve "Network shares" access problems with WDTV media players

deadlock wrote:

ncarver wrote:

mike27oct wrote:

I don’t think your question relates at all to the subject of this thread, (it’s about network shares – a WDTV screen menu choice, and not samba shares),  So please go start a new thread for your question.

Samba shares are handled on the SMP exactly the same as shares from Windows machines are, since they use the same basic SMB protocol.

No. They are not. Very bold statement that indicates you have no knowledge of the underlying technology.

The way all WD TV products access networks for share information is plain Wrong. Very. Very. Very. Wrong. And now that I’ve switched from WD HD TV Live to an SMP I couldn’t believe it still has not changed OR given me the possibility to mount a share which I specify. It is just plain sad because they are great products.

Hah!  Well actually I am a CS phd/prof and understand the technology quite well.  What you are saying is pure rubbish.  I challenge you to provide a shred of technical information to back up your assertion.  “Proof” by vigorous and repeated assertion is what people that know nothing resort to.  LMAO!  Provide me a packet trace between the SMP and an SMB server, annotated to show precisely how the SMP violates the SMB/CIFS protocols.  Be sure you refer to one of the published versions of SMB/CIFS when making a claim of failing to adhere to the protocol.  I.e., show precisely which packet(s) violate particular specific elements of the protocol.  Until you do this, there is no point in me wasting my time interacting any further with you.