New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

i’ve problems to resume video after turn off completely the unit :confounded:

aiace wrote:

i’ve problems to resume video after turn off completely the unit :confounded:

Already discussed here

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/question-on-resume-function-for-movies/m-p/654991/highlight/true#M26934

Someone at WD needs a huge kick up the you know what. I have 3 of these units connected wirelessly to a router and playing media off my Windows 7 PC. Until this firmware update they have worked almost flawlessly. It was a relief to read that I am not alone with the network issues. Pity I wasted so much time swapping units around and rebooting my computer and router all for no reason. PLEASE HURRY UP AND FIX THE FIRMWARE…and check it properly first this time.

I know you shouldn’t have to do this but have you tried rolling back to the previous firmware?

After struggling with my brand new unit for two weeks and getting hacked off with all the problems I was having I tried rolling back and the difference it made has been amazing! Sure I’ve had one crash when exiting YouTube but considering the unit crashed almost daily with YouTube and Daily Motion on the latest firmware it can’t hurt.

So like many many others here, after a month of issues I gave in and did a roll-back to last version due to:

forever getting " content source has been removed" when idle after connecting to Media library thru wifi N

Media library cannot resume playing most videos, though did get one working.

Media library favourite functionality fails, kept adding new identical entries to list but none marked with a purple heart.

new lean Youtube app a) not only looks awful but b) can almost never play from Android YouTube app (ie. via Chrome interface) and c) leaks memory like a sieve so get new memory low warnings! Is this beta ware or what!?

BBC iPlayer now seems to have problems with network server access that I think might be client side. It certainly does not handle reconnect well: sometimes it does resume, sometimes restarts video forgetting where it is, sometimes just dumps u back at top level after “server error” dialogue appears.

Wifi power appears artificially high now (4 bars). After roll-back it has gone back to 2 or 3 it usually had for last 18 months.

But I did like the new remote shortcuts to Services feature that was added – silently!

So no fix issued end of last month and WD have somehow left us with a complete mess. This should never have been allowed out the door. Did anyone do regression testing on it or just add a dozen useless Services and use us as beta testers.

I couldn’t recommend platform to anyone these days because of this lack of stability.

I have to agree, these ‘updates’ are not helping to solve problems, just introducing new one.

I have a brand new unit, expected  it to work straight out of the box.

Evertime that blasted orange circle goes aroung the closer the box gets to the bin, and WD’s reputation takes another downward spiral.

trying one more ‘rollback’ then out it goes, and WD will never darken my door again.

So I have a question. I did the update a couple weeks back before checking for problems as I’ve never had them in the past and I’ve come to expect top-notch work from WD as I have used many of their products in the past without issue. However, since this update I cannot connect to any of my shares. I have followed the instructions for rolling back to the previous firmware.

Downloaded

Unzipped files to the root of a freshly FAT formatted USB stick

Turned on device, waited for menu

Inserted USB.

I have not been given any option to update.

At this point the device is a brick. I’m dissapointed because as of now I cannot access any of my media files for viewing any way other than to use a computer, and I’m not dragging that thing out every time I want to watch a movie.

What does WD suggest I do at this point? It’s not meeting it’s purpose and seems to now be fitting into the “Not fit for purpose” refund clause that Australia has.

I’d like one that works please, or a solution on how to make this one work…

Updated: grammatical errors

wulfshayde wrote:

I’d like one that works please, or a solution on how to make this one work…

Make sure the number in the VER file is higher than the firmware currently installed. Do a reset, plug in the USB stick, let the update run, do another reset.

1 Like

WD got me!  And I do feel like a big ■■■■■■.  I read the comments and bought this device anyway, thinking it couldn’t be as bad as folks made it out to be.  Well it is, and then some.  I’ve spent the last two days trying to use this device in some meaningful way and can’t find one.  Netflix seems to be OK, but it is far inferior to my PS3 for that service.  I was “hoping” to be able to use it to play back Windows 8.1 Windows Media Center, OTA TV recordings (.wtv file type), but it doesn’t even recognize them as a media file.  If I’m missing a trick here, I would love to be pointed in the right direction.  

It’s inability to reliably connect and reconnect to my network shares (retaining/using UserID & Password) is a major show stopper for me.  If & when WD delivers another firmware release I may give it another try, but until then, its being put in the “major misfires” closet.  Sure leaves a bad taste regarding ALL WD products.

Gary

needs to sort FOLDERS BY DATE…like the gen 1 did

what [deleted] removed thes option?

fawltyrat wrote:

needs to sort FOLDERS BY DATE…like the gen 1 did

what ■■■■■ removed thes option?

You need to have the “Media Library” activated eg. Setup > System > Media Library > On

Press the GREEN button on the Remote Control and select

Filter > Folders

Sorting > Date

It’s in the User Manual … Page 58

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

1 Like

I have tried every fix suggested on this entire forum for all of the same issues that everyone else is having for the latest firmware problems.  Nothing works.  I finally decided to rollback to the 1.16.13 version when everything worked great.  I rolled back on all 3 of my media players, then went over to my brothers house and did the same for him (he was also having the same streaming issues).

Happy to say that after the rollback everything is working perfectly again.

I sure hope WD realizes there are a lot of problems with this last upgrade and will get them all corrected on the next firmware.

Link to instructions for rollback:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live%29

Player boot up very long.

RSS still not work. I can`t normally add/view/edit my channels.

I can`t continue film located on flash-drive. Only from very beginning.

At this point I realize that it is not me despite comments from some users. If my network settings were incorrect I would never connect my Windows 7 PC to the WDTVLive SMP. All I want to accomplish is to copy video files from my PC wirelessly, as I always did with the previous firmware, to my WDTVLive SMP unit with the USB connected external WD 1TB harddrive.

With the previous firmware I could easily go on the network with my Windows 7 PC and see the contents of my external harddrive connected to the WDTVLive SMP. With the present firmware I have to keep trying over and over again until I connect.

I will try with Opus 10, Goodsync and the Windows Network and Sharing Center until one of them connects after many attempts.

I do finally connect but it is really rediculous that it requires so much effort

Do a rollback to 1.16.13 then until WD sorts this out.

Updated my 2 wd boxes today despite all the posts here. No problems yet. Tested everything I can think of. All systems go.
So a thanks from me anyway.

Hi, I had no problem with the update, talking about installation, version 2.1.86 , but just decided to re- install version 1.16.13 because with the new I could not share multimedia content with my WD Live Hub, not I reproduced many formats , and could not see all my shared folders, forces had to install a hard drive or USB memory. That was the only problem I enocontré with the new firmware. But now my question is , how can I make my WD with version 1.16.13 play the AAC audio format in the audio output I have direct optical cable to a home theater and the HDMI to the Smart TV, but not hear anything when I have it setup in WD " Step digital direct only via the optical interface " , when I switch to " digital only Pass- through HDMI " is heard , but sometimes movies that come with format AAC audio tracks are more than two channels , and obviously is what I want to enjoy. An apology for my terrible English, I hope understand me and can help me …

Greetings .

My e-mail es lic.eduardo.brondo@hotmail.com

Hola, yo no tuve ningún problema con la actualización, hablando de instalación, versión 2.01.86, pero igual decidí volver a instalar la versión 1.16.13 porque con la nueva no me era posible compartir el contenido multimedia con mi WD Live Hub, no me reproducía muchos formatos, y no podía ver todas mis carpetas compartidas, tenía a fuerzas que instalar un disco duro o memoria USB. Eso fue el único problema que enocontré yo con el nuevo firmware. Pero ahora mi pregunta es, cómo puedo hacer para que mi WD con versión 1.16.13 reproduzca el formato de audio AAC, en la salida de audio tengo el cable óptico directo a un home theater, y el HDMI a la Smart TV, pero no se oye nada, cuando la configuración del WD la tengo en “Paso directo digital sólo a través de la interfaz óptica”, cuando cambio a “Paso directo digital sólo a través de HDMI” se oye, pero a veces las películas que vienen con formato de audio AAC, son pistas de más de dos canales, y es lo que obviamente quiero poder disfrutar. Una disculpa por mi terrible inglés, espero me entiendan y me puedan ayudar…

Saludos.

Hi to all

I upgrade to 2.01.86 and now WD TV Live Streming say me:

“There is no media available for playback” when I try to connect to Windows Media Player 

From another DLNA server (for example on my  smartphone android ) it works properly.

Why?

thank you

Restart your pc and router its likely it no longer remebers correctly and the router hasn’t handed out the info.

Hi,
I am having few issues after this update:

* Player restarts when launching Youtube video. 

* WDTV sometimes doesn’t want to send signal to TV, LED light is on but nothing happens. I need to soft restart it (press OFF for 5 sec) and then it works. Not a major issue but annoying.

Anyone knows how to resolve it?