New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 1.15.10 (3/28/13)

richUK wrote:
Where did you get the 1.04.12 firmware from?
Does the file name of the firmware have the word rollback in it?
You have turned on firmware update notification in the setup?
Are there any other files in the root of the flash drive other than the firmware files?
How are your flash drives formatted?
Did you try both USB ports.
Try resetting the player via the setup menu with the flash drive connected and nothing else.

• *Thanks.> Found the problem, I didn’t turn on firmware update notification. But still didn’t fix the pink screen. I tried to rollback almost all firmwares from the page but none worked. This is very annoying. I know some people have the same pink screen problem but none seem to know the solution. Anyone?

I was under the impression the pink screen problem has been well known for over 2 years.

You change the HDMI settings from Auto to a specific resolution and make sure you pick the correct RGB mode.  Unfortunately, its also likely to forget those settings again later which is really annoying as it seems to think my TV cannot support 12bit colour on Auto and frequently ends up pink too. :frowning:

Techflaws wrote:

JazMac wrote:

Have you been following just part of the thread?

I simply find it hard to believe that a firmware update should kill any port. I have read the occasional mention here that USB sticks would work when HDDs would not. And when USB sticks would not work, another stick would do the trick all the time. But that BOTH ports are rendered completely useless (by software no less) is a first. I’m too on 1.15.10 and both ports are still up and running.

Unless WD chimes in, I guess you’ll just have to wait for the next official update and do this over Internet to see if it makes a difference.

This is just the same as the people who blamed a firmware update for the Xbox 360 RLOD problem.  It was impossible as the specific RLOD error refers to a hardware problem, a firmware problem shows a different pattern, but still people were adament it MUST have been the firmware update that did it.

With so many people owning devices there will always be one who falls foul of coincidental timing and then insists it MUST be the firmware at fault, refusing with all reason to the contrary. 

Just as there will always be people who refuse to try restoring the factory settings after a firmware update because “it should just work”.  A factory reset is always recommended after firmware updates as you just never know for the settings got corrupted, or variables changed in the update.  Its always recommended on PCs for BIOS updates, few of us ever do it unless there is actually a problem, but its something to be expected after a firmware update. (I’m not blaming anyone on this forum of being this person, just making a point)

I yet to find that very rare device that just works.

If a persons lucky they find one that mostly just works but anything with software is going to have problems from time to time.

For those that thinks this is bad they should buy a boxee box or a boxee tv…whoops sorry that doxee dvr now.

Now theres a company that seems to major in ripping people off.

Except when it happens to you it doesn’t happen to anyone.  Awesome analysis.

Except for a minor problem here.

Unlikely a OS where drivers are often updated quite often these devices rarely get driver updates and incase of the USB that would be never since its spec has been solid for ages.

Like tablets threre’s also a protected area that totally unaffected by firmware upgrades…hense still being able to upgrade when a firmware flat out fails.

The USB failure isn’t so to a firmware upgrade and what you got is a hardware failure.Certainly bites but if its under warranty you can easily get it replaced.

The kicker of this is concrete evidence of the firmware having no affect on the USB has always been in the device.

When a complete failure of the firmware install happens be it through a bad download,power failure or kids you can still recover the device.

It pops up on the TV with a warning saying no firmware and that you need to install a USB with firmware on it to recover.

The firmware has caused problems and gotten bugs but it didn’t cause this one.

Nono, the usb issue is a firmware issue, someone get it and someother no…

To this day i see 13 people in total (people that have the problem) in a lot of forum…

I linked these people to issue area, but only one have submitted the error in previus opened usb failure ticket.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/New-firmware-1-15-10-usb-problem/idi-p/554139

You seem to be glossing over the obvious, that just because other people have the problem with this firmware doesn’t negate the possibility that every user with this issue has a faulty unit.  It could be that only a driver change in the USB subsystem shows up the fault, but it doesn’t mean its not a hardware issue.

The solution to is to call WD and get it replaced under warranty.  You will likely get a newer build of the device that IS fully compatible with the new firmware.

I understand worrying that it might happen again, I worried that I bought the wrong device after reading these forums myself.  However in the couple of days I have owned the unit it has done everything I bought it for.  It plays MKV files neither my TV nor my Bluray player were willing to play and Netflix better than the PS3.  Should I send it back because of what “might” happen?  Should I stop using my Xbox 360 back because it “might” get the RLOD?  Maybe I should stop using my TV because it “might” get a bad pixel?  Heck, my NAS “might” lose all the data on its HDD (it is Western Digital), god forbid.

You cannot judge the quality of a device based on the very vocal people who have a problem.  We have all been there with something, the fact is in modern technology NO device is perfect, its a world of compromise.  So ditching WD products because of a fault on one of their products, a fault that might not happen again, is really not an appropriate response.  Especially when it seems you haven’t even bothered to use WD customer support which is really what you should be judging the merits of the company on.

There was no driver change thats not how the device works.

Now could a bad download  caused a internal loop thats always possiable.

Is it the firmware itself that caused this…very unlikely.

Another update should be out  shortly so they can do it over the air to see if it helps.

Unfortunaly us telling them its not the firmware or offering suggestions is may not be isn’t going to change his mind.

If it doesn’t he still has the option of getting it replaced if its under warrenty.

Hopefully it works out for them.

After much googling (search - “connecting to the USB storage”), I ran across this thread.

Glad to see that I’m not the only one with this problem.  The recent update knocked out my USB ports, so now I can’t use my USB stick or HD at all.

Has anyone worked out how to roll back the firmware if you can’t use the USB ports or do I have to wait for the next (online) update and hope it fixes the problem?

I reset it, but that did no good.  Still on the latest firmware.  :frowning:

In all likelihood you got a hardware failure and not a firmware failure.

Otherwise you can wait for the next update which should be out next month to see if it restores USB.

Normally if you bought it at best buy or the like you can get it replaced by walking in with it and your receipt.

There is of course the chance that what being reported isn’t correct.

The USB could still be perfectly fine but a corrupted download or install could be simply blocking access to the devices.

If that the case then a proper online install could fix it

Lurking in these forums, I’ve become very cautious about updates.

Is there any reason I should update my device?

It runs fine until now playing everything, are there any critical improvements that should make me risk updating it?

There upgrades or late have been to fuction and perforamce so the updates safe enough.

That said if things are working fine for you there is no major reason to upgrade since nothing really new in terms of fuction is has been added.

Also given the release  times of late there proably another update coming shortly anyway so no point in upgrading then doing it again shortly after.

I would wait tell the next one comes out and then give its a few days to see if anyway has any major issues.

That way they can work the bugs out for you and you dont have to stress about something going wrong.

1 Like

haduken wrote:
It runs fine until now playing everything

There’s your answer.

1 Like

Heed the old puter acronym ‘ifabdfi’ if it an’t broke don’t fix it.:wink:

My WDTV Live updated just a couple of weeks ago and now I have all sorts of issues. For example, Netflix and Hulu Plus will freeze up or wont even load a video that you select or even today it wont even load either of the apps because it “cant comunicate with the server” and that is **bleep**. this needs to be fix ASAP! I didnt have any of these issues before the upgraded firmware so why should I be forced to take the upgrade. If someone could give me a link to the previous firmware that would be great. I dont have cable tv so not having either of the two apps working is a real pain, it would be nice for once to have no issues with this thing. Oh and the entire OS is getting slower to load any menu, app, or even using the arrow keys, what is up with that?

chaosknock wrote:

so why should I be forced to take the upgrade.

And who forced you? You know, you can turn off the notifiation right? Search this forum for rollback to downgrade.

Bugs I found so far:

• Sometimes videos with AAC audio sound distorted, but I haven’t been able to find out what is causing this.

• I don’t like that my portable hard drive stays on after turning the device in stand-by mode, i don’t even like the network leds at the back of the device stays on, even the led of my modem stays on!!! please!! fix that!!! STAND-BY MEANS FAST POWER ON, NOT LIGHTS ON!!!

• I had the WDTV Live 2nd Gen and the facebook app didn’t show up my picture profile (picture1), my photo albums, my videos, either my friends photos and videos didn’t show up, displaying an error message (picture 2), so now I bought this WDTV Live Streaming and I found the same issue with the facebook app, please!!! fix this!!! I attached two pictures of my tv screen to show you exactly what i’m saying:

ricardorb6 wrote:

STAND-BY MEANS FAST POWER ON, NOT LIGHTS ON!!!

No, standby means that the power is still on so that the device (and its attached hard disks) are still available on the network.

Before Firmware Version 14/15 I used to be able to select an iso file (my files are mostly iso) and bring up the options menu which would desplay a scan option, which was used to scan for metadata. This option is now gone, has anyone came up with a way of getting it back? A few of my new files have the wrong films attached to them which is a bit annoying. If not, is there anyway to revert back to Firmware Version 13 or previous?

NightVision23 wrote:

Before Firmware Version 14/15 I used to be able to select an iso file (my files are mostly iso) and bring up the options menu which would desplay a scan option, which was used to scan for metadata. This option is now gone…

It hasn’t gone anywhere…   If you’re not seeing the option, then either:

1- you don’t have the media library enabled

2- you don’t have your content source set to My Media Library.