New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.03.02 (1/29/14)

Super pleased I never upgraded the firmware! Turned off auto update.

Rob_K wrote:

My update went fine although it took forever to reboot and then reinitialize (way longer than the interface indicated). The drive has also forgotten about all of my media - tā€™s now performing a full scan again.

Thatā€™s normal after any reboot.

fsck will complete quickly depending on a few things:

size of drive

number of files/folders

speed of drive

speed of system

on My Cloud it usually takes around 7 minutes on top of the normal bootup process unless there are file system issues found.

If that happens, the process takes as long as it takes, and generally much longer than 10 minutes.

@Ā Pacific_Dollars &Ā sunky

Your issue has been escalated and is under investigation, please reply to any private messages you receive.Ā 

Pleased that I turned off auto-update and even manually update unsuccessful. Ā Maybe WD already stopped the access of new firmware.Ā 

The firmware was updated yesterdayā€¦

Now the My Cloud Device is not available in the network.

A blue light is visible on the drive. I bought the cloud few days backā€¦Ā Ā  How can WD claim to provide get 24X7 connectivity to my data ??? The device is not stable !!

Here was my experience:

The firmware updated but the reboot didnā€™t work. A message popped up to tell me to reset through the software (couldnā€™t as could no longer access the drive) or manually on the hardware. So resetted manually, after much blinking and a very scary 15 mins of staring at the white LED, it finally went blue and i can see the drive again. Phew

Think Iā€™m going to switch auto update off!

I agree with you.
The previous update had also fixed the problem of network disconnection.
I do not mean absolutely upgrade the firmware.
I turned off automatic updates.

any fix regarding the freeze/sudden lost of access to the drive if the sleep mode is on?

for me that is the biggest problem to be fixed and I donā€™t see any comments on thatā€¦

still to be integraated in a later firmware?

Thanks,

Horus wrote:

I agree with you.
The previous update had also fixed the problem of network disconnection.
I do not mean absolutely upgrade the firmware.
I turned off automatic updates.

not on my drive Horus,

Currently in order for my drive not to disconnect I have to keep the sleep function off.

I apologize in advance for the double postā€¦ but I felt I also needed to post my comments on the main firmware thread,

There are some ā€œfundamentalā€ functions in this product that are not ready for prime time. Namely: Remote access, Copying/Moving/Deleting/Renaming files or folders in a USB attached drive due to file and folder permission issues and the drive suddenly disappearing from the LAN in some network environments. There is no need to berate anyone, but given that recent firmware updates have barely attempted to address any of these issues makes oneĀ  loose confident in the product.Ā Ā  As I read the firmware release notesā€¦ it makes one wonder how is the management of the development team prioritizing the bug fixes? I understand that this is an inexpensive solution and that it should not be used for mission critical data. Butā€¦ given that the product is targeted to the mass (volume) market WD should be careful not to disappoint too many people with one product that does not meet client expectation. Specially after the marketing bliss that came before this product was released. It was marketed as a replacement for cloud service provided by Dropbox, Google. MSā€¦ etc. So far, it has not lived close to the standard of availability and reliability. You get lots of storage for a very low price, but what good is it if you can not access it reliably or canā€™t use it to manipulate the files in the USB attached drive that extends its capacity.

Hello Everyone,

I had to change mine because it had given up the ghost after using this firmware update.

First I could not get in, then the lights started to behave erratically. First Yellow, then Blinking White, then Nothing. Then the Harddisk also started to give up by spinning up moving the heads and then switch off. So I went to the shop yesterday and brought it back. They were a bit surprised and told me that they thought it was a good product. But nothing on their shelves, this was in two branches of PC World UK. I was wondering why they did not have it on the shelf. All other products of WD were there ???

I thought about not having another one, but asked the sales man why they were not on the shelves ? He said, we might have them in the storage warehouse. So I was then tempted to see if I would try it again, if I could replicate the same situation, but first I did call the WD support and asked them to guide me with the initial setup. Which they did, but as soon as it came to the update the Firmware, they told me they had to move on because I would be ā€œhoggingā€ their phone line for too long doing anything. Fair enough. So I went through the firmware update 3.03.01.156, so NOT the latest one !!! After that I switched off Automatic Updates.

After it went through the firmware update which took a little while I walked away and when I came back it had update it to 3.03.01.156 not the 3.03.02.165. I have not updated to the latest firm because I donā€™t trust it.

So overnight I have let the machine run changed some settings and left it overnight to sit on the network. Sleep button on. Have not seen it go in HDD Spindown yet, but so far it has stayed on the network.

I have NOT copied any files, videos, driveimages and backups, etc, I want to let it sit for a couple of days and see what it does untouched with no files copied on it, although I copied 3 pictures in the Public Share, but no others. Nor have I attached the Former USB 3.0 drive with a Safepoint that was attached on my first one. I want to see the Unit sitting on itā€™s own and see how it behaves for now. Then after that I will start backing up. I need very much so, because I am planning an overhaul for my network and computers for 2014. I was supposed to do this ummm since 3 weeks ago ?? But never have come to it so far because of this. :frowning:

I was promised a phone call today from a 2nd level Engineer for Friday 31/01/2014 @ 4 PM that I agreed with someone from the WD Support who sent me private messages, but so far nothing materialized. Ā Canā€™t trust them either on that do we now ?

So thatā€™s my 2 cents worth of experience over the last few days. Again. I am dreading to start backing up and it goes overboard again, but I try to believe this product could work.

I want to mention that the Unit that I have is from Thailand and the former one was from Malaysia. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I noticed some things. The one from Malaysia did definitely had a Western Digital Red NAS drive it in. This one I have not been able to see yet. Secondly the plastic that is around it when new the transparent one that you can take off, the Malaysian one was nice and clean and no dust under it, but the Thailand one has all kinds of bits an pieces under it, like it has been first dropped on the floor and then stuck upon it. Also the Thailand Unit smells different when running it than the Malaysian one.

I was wondering if there are any differences in the motherboards or components in the Units from these different countries ? Can someone shed a light on this ?

There might be a possibility that if there are slight differences in design that causes the new firmware to create havoc between slightly different models, which look identical from the outside, but might be different on the inside.

Just noticed that the unit is now in Standby mode and blue light is slowly phasing in and out. I am checking it now and I am able to access it and I hear a soft rattle from the HDD coming back to life and the light is steady again. So far so good. Hopefully this will be also when I will attach the USB 3.0 drive in a few days after testing.Ā 

I am going to format the USB drive first before I attach it again. Either with NTFS or EXT4 have not made my mind up yet, but please advice if anyone have a hint for me about this which is best. NTFS is natively Windows, but EXT4 I need a program to read and write to the drive when used on a computer on itā€™s own. I have seen this. Ā  http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/ and thisĀ 

http://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/

Ok that is for now, I will keep up with the updates as I get along whether this unit is something to go by or just bring it back to the shop again for a refund. I donā€™t have to time for it, nor do I want it to keep me out of my sleep pattern which has been derangely disturbed since I have been using the My Cloud device. I donā€™t think I should be that difficult but then again nothing comes by itselves eh ?

Greetings,

Pacific Dollars :wink:

after firmware upgraded and finished reboot, the safe point drive was gone but it was still can see connected in USB fromĀ  http://wdmycloud.local/UI/ (is it need to be re-create safe point drive again after new firmware applied?)

update: try to re-create safe point drive again, got this error message:

• This safepoint operation failed due to a duplication error. (402011)

NO Luck or choice and disappointed, took the external My Book 3TB back to wins 7 PC reformat the drive and attach back to MyCloud 3TB to do safe point again for 880GB files back upā€¦???

@ggwau

Delete the safe point from the NAS interface, and also delete all data on the attached USB drive (by plugging it in a computer for example).

After my firmware update, the existing safepoint was deemed ā€œhaving a problemā€ and the following sharepoint ended up being an entirely new one.

Dear All,

Most weirdest thing happened to me with my WD My Cloud.

In my former posts I have clearly written that I have not updated to the new firmware 3.03.02.165 !!! < ~~~~ since I got this new yesterday after my other one busted.

I want to mention to all, I HAD NOT SWITCHED ON AUTOMATIC UPDATES, it was switched OFF !

YET !!! After I knew I had updated to 3.03.01.156 manually which after I had switched up automatic updates to the OFF setting since yesterday.

NOW, when I checked, the Firmware update is ā€¦3.03.02.165 !!! What the ā€¦!!!

How is this possible ??? Automatic updates were OFF and I have not updated to this version. I am 100% sure I had updated only to 3.03.01.156 and I believe my eyes and not what I see now, but yet it is ???

Does this mean that Automatic Updates is not switched off at all, I did check and it is still ???

I did not update to the latest version thatā€™s for sure, because I did not wanted to, see my former posts. This is realllllyyy weird folksā€¦

Is it possible that WD is able to access your My Cloud remotely when you are connected to them by Remote Control through ports 80 and 443 ??? If this is so, this is surely a security breach and should not be able to do so ???

Anyone have the same thing ? I canā€™t be the only one is it now ? This worries me very much, because that means if that is so, WD or somebody else can hack the WD Server and take over anyoneā€™s My Cloud and Sniff around what is copied there. Has this something to do with the Lowering of the Java Settings to Medium ? Wow I am on to something here.

Also my opinion is that you should be able to reset the drive and wipe off everything without be able to get into the Dashboard and do from there, because that is the only possibility. There is a Yes and a No for ofcourse, but still you donā€™t have any control over it when you have to bring the Drive back and you canā€™t wipe it. Anyone can access it by taking out the drive and get at your private information. Anyone thought about this ? I mean resetting My Cloud is not push the pin in for 4 seconds and longer than 40 seconds, because the last one makes your shares all public, hence for access for anyone if you have a faulty My Cloud and it would start working again one way or another or somebody knows something else how to get it working. These questions are serious issues to my opinion. Anyone with me about this ?

Automatic updates take place at 3:00AM local time.

Is that when this change occured?

PS I checked on ShieldsUp ! from www.grc.com , Gibson Research Ā that indeed the WD My Cloud has punched holes in Port 80 and 443. Which is Ok when you need to do remote control to your WD My Cloud offsite or by iPad, iPhone and or Android phones.

I never did port forwarding, but noticed that when I switch off my My Cloud that the holes were still there and it is possible to have traffic through there from outside now, since my router did not close them. This is with the Linksys EA6700. Also this router has problems to let through NTP (Network Time Protocol) Port 123. It is switched off or something and the router gets its time from somewhere else. Not sure about that.Ā 

Fortunately you can do manually use NTP in the My Cloud Dashboard, but with a Apple TV and Home Phone Signal booster of NEC it cant get the Time and Date set. Have discussed that with Apple as well with Linksys at length, but donā€™t care about that whatsoever and after many months talking with them it is still not fixed. So much for customer service taken seriously these days. Yet still bring out products that do such things and as a result things are not working.

What are we supposed to do ? Why is there no quicker response to all of this ? I mean when I talk about Apple TV this is since last year June and the Home Phone Signal is since recently that I had acquaintance with. We canā€™t do all the time SSH to the hardware firmware to get things going is it ? I find it silly that we as consumers have not more control over these things anymore. Is WD going the same way, which results likely in more problems as we are discussing here and elsewhere in forums. So much for tethered connections. We must be able to go back to get more untethered capabilities, it would help ourself much better as well the Customer support in where we can set settings that go around hardware limitations such as simple as setting time and date manually etc etc. We clearly are more being controlled these ways imho. What do you all say ?

Mine is also set to off and thank goodness my firmware is:

v03.03.01-156

Toch wood but this works great when sleep is disabled.