New Release - My Net Router Firmware Updates (2/21/13)

BTW, both with 1.05.12 and 1.06.28 the lease time for the iMac that keeps disconnecting is wrong; i.e., 49710 Day(s) 6 Hr(s) 13 Min(s) 20 Sec(s). Is this symtomatic of a related problem?

1.06.28 seems stable enough for me (because of the whole AP mode fiasco, I had to revert to 1.04.x); no wifi lockups and a couple of desktops connected via Cat5e… not aware of any disconnections, but I’m not actively monitoring this either

Upgraded to 1.06.28 and I have been running this for couple of weeks without any serious issues. Granted this is not my primary router yet and I use it in extender mode. Having said there is still the long outstanding " pending issue" regarding SMB with respect to Android devices mentioned to tech support several months ago.

Parsing subdirectories from Android based devices are fixed – as of firmware 1.05.12 (10/4/2012) a step in the correct direction, and this firmware release 1.06.28 (2/21/13) includes those fixes however I still cannot play any types of video files, It gives error “cannot play this type of video file” and the SMB stream gets interrupted (It does not matter what type of video file extensions are (I attempted AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV) none of them work from my Net N900 storage router.

But picture files like *.JPG files are okay!  - Looks that someone put a restriction? Or some sort of firewall setting preventing SMB share access of Video files only for Android based devices? – BTW,  These same files via the same SMB shares play well with PC and WDTV Media players! – Very strange.

Device attempted as before:

Galaxy tab 10.1 model details:  P7510

Firmware: release HTJ85B.UEKMP P7510UEKMP (Android Honeycomb 3.2)

Application used to access network shares from My Net N900 Central: ES Explorer  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Cannot access any type Video files from any Android based devices, I attempted with Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Kindle Fire, both behave the same way.

Looks that we are moving forward in the right direction and I am hopeful that by next release WD developers will fix the video playback issues with Android based devices soon. 

Thank you for reading this report.

Vistawall.

PETStech wrote:

BTW, both with 1.05.12 and 1.06.28 the lease time for the iMac that keeps disconnecting is wrong; i.e., 49710 Day(s) 6 Hr(s) 13 Min(s) 20 Sec(s). Is this symtomatic of a related problem?

Was your iMac entered into the Manually Added Device list (DHCP Reservation)? This might be why. What i’m referring to is outline in the KBA below.

How to manually reserve an IP Address or add a device to the DHCP Client Table on a My Net router

Answer ID 9498

Vistawall wrote:

Upgraded to 1.06.28 and I have been running this for couple of weeks without any serious issues. Granted this is not my primary router yet and I use it in extender mode. Having said there is still the long outstanding " pending issue" regarding SMB with respect to Android devices mentioned to tech support several months ago.

Parsing subdirectories from Android based devices are fixed – as of firmware 1.05.12 (10/4/2012) a step in the correct direction, and this firmware release 1.06.28 (2/21/13) includes those fixes however I still cannot play any types of video files, It gives error “cannot play this type of video file” and the SMB stream gets interrupted (It does not matter what type of video file extensions are (I attempted AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV) none of them work from my Net N900 storage router.

But picture files like *.JPG files are okay!  - Looks that someone put a restriction? Or some sort of firewall setting preventing SMB share access of Video files only for Android based devices? – BTW,  These same files via the same SMB shares play well with PC and WDTV Media players! – Very strange.

Device attempted as before:

Galaxy tab 10.1 model details:  P7510

Firmware: release HTJ85B.UEKMP P7510UEKMP (Android Honeycomb 3.2)

Application used to access network shares from My Net N900 Central: ES Explorer  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Cannot access any type Video files from any Android based devices, I attempted with Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Kindle Fire, both behave the same way.

Looks that we are moving forward in the right direction and I am hopeful that by next release WD developers will fix the video playback issues with Android based devices soon. 

Thank you for reading this report.

Vistawall.

Thanks for point out this app. It can be pretty handy. Can you use ES Explorer to play videos off any other LAN SMB server?

Yes ES Explorer to play videos & Photos works like a champ from most other LAN SMB servers like WD My Book Live DUO for example and indeed is a very handy free APP. When combined with MX Playeryou have the perfect companion APP for most audio and video files from any SMB shares on the network for andriod based tablets and phone devices.

Hi Vistawall,

Concerning your problem accessing files over the SMB Network, I would guess that this is somewhat related to the problem I run into when I try to access the content of a USB hard drive hooked up to the N900 with my SMB enabled Blu-Ray player (an Oppo BDP-105). 

Well, this isn’t the same behavior, but might be related : I just get a connection error saying my ID and password aren’t correct… But I can assure you that they are :slight_smile:

Anyways, I solved this on my own with another device :slight_smile:

And this is not the point. 

Here’s the object of my post. I wish to report that right now, my N900 router has been up and running for over 15 days without a problem. 

And I think you can’t tell it is not “loaded” :slight_smile:

It’s working over Wi-Fi to get a connection to an iMac that sits in my daughter’s bedroom, to my wife’s iPhone and to my own Android smartphone. 

It’s working wired to get a connection to my own iMac. 

And it is sharing files over SMB from a LaCie NAS (with a 1Tb built-in hard-drive + a USB 4 drive bay with 4 hard drives for a 10Tb total of storage, each mounting individually) and from a USB hard drive hooked up to a Synology USB Station 2 (a small device that converts USB drives into networked drives) to my computers and to my Blu-Ray player (which is SMB enabled, so I can by-pass all those silly media servers !). 

I will shortly reconnect a LG NAS to share some other files and be able to burn files directly over a network to a Blu-Ray or a DVD…

It also supports an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Sation configured in “Bridge Mode” which would be, I guess, the “AP” mode in the N900. 

The internet connection is given by a modem + router provided by my ISP and the connection arrives to my N900 over the mains plug via a Netgear Powerline ethernet switch (up to 500Mbps). 

So far : no drop-outs or disconnections. So I can tell that I am (almost) perfectly happy with the router right now. 

To be perfectly happy, I just wish I could use the 2 USB ports to get acces to files from my SMB Blu-Ray Player… so please, WD, work on this as I guess this is pretty simple to fix. Oppo (manufacturer of my Blu-Ray player) has been contacted. They are aware of this problem and claim this appears because the SMB version used by some manufacturers is either an old one, or a custom one… and that this is to avoid problems with the licensing program of SMB. Sure you can find a way out if this is true…

Regards. 

NetPenguin

I have downloaded all the software releases and none of them work! Internet drop are lock up in a period of hours or days. You have to reset the power to get reconnected.

I know I have a double nat one of my provider with dhcp and a lease time of one hour. It’s impossible to change these settings in the docsis 3.0 gateway. The My net N900 works after this router in another range 192.168.1.X instead of the docsis (192.168.0.1) so this shout work. It work with my Level one router with the same configuration!

The reason for double nat de docsis can only  issue 16 Ip addresses.

It stays on my bureau now in the box, it doesn’t work for my. They only thing I want is my money back. When I buy a new item it must work within 14 days are it goes back to the store!

It’s sad  that a brand like WD make such a bad router!!

Have you tried setting the router’s WAN interface to Static IP?

Today’s case:

In Advanced Settings → Host and LAN Settings → Enable DNS Proxy I changed the setting from On to Off.

Router asked to reboot, so rebooted.

After (during) rebooting the access password without my acceptance nor knowledge was reset to the default password.

RESETTING THE PASSWORD IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

j_a_j_a_j_a wrote:

[…]

After (during) rebooting the access password without my acceptance nor knowledge was reset to the default password.[…]

I have seen same issue several times. I really cannot understand that such issue is not fixed ASAP, as it is a clear security problem.

Also the setting of WPS password “on/off” is often reverted to default (“on”), where I would prefer to have this setting to “off”.

Wrote a review of My Net N900 on wdreviews.com yesterday. Basically Q&A is not doing their job at WD…