New Release - My Net Router Firmware Updates (2/21/13)

WD is happy to announce its release of the My Net Family Router firmware updates for the…

Feel free to post your experiences to this thread.

Hi Bill,

Downloaded, but sof ar not applied. 

The list of improvements seems to be impressive in it’s length. A little less impressive if you read the details. 

As far as I am concerned the main problem I had with the older software (1.06.18) was that if I proceeded to heavy downloads via a wevb browser, I always ended up  with an error at some point and had to resume the downloads. 

This happened whatever the browser and whatever the site. 

As I currently also have a Netgear router at hand, I switched to it and was ablt to download several Gb of data in over 2 hours with no errors whatsoever. 

Hope this firmware fixes this problem… which I will find out within less than a hour and I’ll let you know. 

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Hi Bill,

Well, things have apparently improved, but I still get download errors :frowning:

But they’re less common than before, so I guess this is an improvement. I will try to disable/enable some features to see if that is related to one of them. 

This errors seem to happen when I’m surfing from a browser while I’m downloading with the other browser. So maybe something that the N900 doesn’t really know how to handle ? 

Anyways, as I said : less frequent, so definitely an improvementso far :slight_smile:

I hoped to be able to connect to the USB Hard drive using my SMB networked Blu-Ray player. But unfortunately, this does not happen with this new FW :frowning: My Blu-Ray player is an Oppo BDP-105. It supports network over SMB. But I can’t have access to the files because I still get this ID error. I can access other devices… and installing a “standard” SMB on my Mac solved the problem. 

If the downloads errors decrease and if the router stays up and running without rebooting for over 10 days, this is coming close to the perfect device. Remains this USB Driver access from my Blu-Ray player and then it would be THE machine I was looking for… and this would be WD keeping it’s promises ! 

Regards. 

NetPenguin

NetPenguin.  Please keep us posted on your experiences.  I have been following this device and waiting for it to mature to the point I would feel comfortable setting it and walking out the door with getting a call from the wife and kids.  Not quite there yet, but looks like its headed in the right direction… 

thanks, 

-Doug

@ NetPenguin

Are you getting any kind of error codes, or responses?  What are the errors indicating, exactly?

Major improvement.

Firmware 1.06.28 is working well for me on my set up.I have my Comtrend CT-5374 modem bridged to the My Net N900 router and my PPPoE is set up with in the router with a 24Mbps VDSL2 type connection.

I have not run into a single problem on my wired or wireless devices,everything seems to be running smooth so far.I will do some more testing.The My Net N900 has been up for almost 20hrs and it running pretty cool.

I also have a sony Blueray player  with internal wifi and have had no issues streaming anything,everything appears just to work as it should.Yes i do agree that WD is finally moving into the correct direction with this router,i can’t wait to see what else WD can bring to the table.

Xander.

Hi Bill,

Some brosers (Firefox) report an error according to which the file can’t be found on the remote server. 

That may be… but if I relauch the download, it resumes and goes to the end. 

Just to clarify things : the ireless features aren’t a real interest to me. So, all I report for now concerns the WIRED connections. 

Right now, to check this, I have disconnect everything from the N900, except the computer on LAN port 4 and, of course, the modem on WAN port. 

I have launched downloads of approximately 12Gb from the Apple Software Update center. hich is fast and reliable. So if there is an error, probably not remote server related. 

I’ll let you know if it goes to the end without an error :slight_smile:

Regards. 

NetPenguin

1 Day(s) 11 Hour(s) 14 Min(s) 16 Sec(s) - Best I got before a lockup on 1.05.xx wasa little over 3 days.  This is just normal use for 3 users doing online gaming, email, web suring and some streaming video from NetFlix.

I was glad to see the new firmware come out and will give this a chance, if it proves stable for my home use, I’ll keep this router in place.

Something that would be nice on the control panel is a list of connected Wireless devices.  I don’t use the DHCP server as I have a Windows file server in my basement that serves that function.

Mike

Hi everyone,

Everything disconnect from my router, the 13GB of files from Apple have been successfully downloaded. 

Just reconnect my LaCie NAS and will try with that one attached. 

Hope I’ll get lucky with this one connected also :slight_smile:

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Updated to new firmware through the Dashboard. Haven’t been able to connect to the router since. Power LED keeps flashing. Help?

I am not sure what happened to you but I have learned by using most of the major name brand routers that you should never upgrade your firmware online and you should never upgrade your firmware over a wireless connection. Always download the file to your computer first and then do the upgrade over a wired connection.

Hi Traats,

Agreed with the previous post. If you can, download the upgrade file and install it manually. Mostly, this is the most secure option. 

But of course, that does not really help. 

My best guess would be to reset the router to it’s default settings (there’s a “Reset” hole underneath the router) and then to apply the update once it has restarted. This can be quite painful if you have applied a lot of settings and don’t remember how you did that or if they’re just long to be redone : i.e. assigning static IP address to 10 devices :frowning:

So another recommendation when you’re performing an upgrade would be to save your configuration. So, in case anything goes wrong, you can reset the router, reapply the settings and then upgrade. 

Hope this helped. 

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Hi, 

Another post to report that the second wave of downloads, with the LaCie NAS has been almost successful. All files have been downloaded, except one. But this file already had some problems on an earlier download session performed with the older firmware, and even it’s relaunch does not help, so I guess in this case, the hosting server has indeed a problem. 

So right now I’ve launched a third downloading session after I have reconnect also another router used in bridged mode. 

To ake things even a little more difficult, I selected my LaCie NAS as a download location. 

Let’s see if this is going to be successful. 

I must say that, to avoid remote host problems, I deceded to perform these downloads at times when the internet is not overloaded to isolate the problem more certainly. My line is an ADSL 2+ line that supports up to 1.2Mb/s or 11Mbps. 

Regards. 

NetPenguin

After upgrading to 1.06.28 on my n900 central 2tb, hasn’t crashed for the last 8 hours! So far so good. I’m able to stream my stored movies on the internal hard drive and attached usb drive. Of note I have FasTrack Plus QoS “OFF.” Lets see what happens! Thanks WD I appreciate your effort in making these products better. You’ve restored my faith in you! PEACE!

Hi,

Well, downloads with the LaCie NAS hooked up and transferring downloaded files to one of the USB attached hard drives did not produce a single fail. 

I was also checking my mail and downloading (uploading) some torrents and surfing a little while I was downloading… so I guess this can be considered as reliable and, so, for me, definitely an improvement on this side.

So, this seems to be settled. 

Let’s see about the rest :slight_smile:

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Thanks for the suggestions, NetPenguin, and I’ll make sure to never do an online FW update again.

I already tried the reset trick (not worried about the settings, I’m pretty confident I can remember them), but no improvement there.

Maybe I have to mention that it’s the version with 2GB HDD and that the Internal Storage LED is always on.

I’m going to open a warranty case at my supplier, hope they can help me out.

Regards,

Tom.

Hi traats,

Ouch… sorry to hear about that. 

The version with an internal hard drive can be considered as a NAS-Router… some kind of Hybrid product species. 

It’s really an interesting one… but it has do be done properly ! 

To make things simple, there are 2 kinds of NASes. The ones with a built-in OS that do not need any hard-drive to function (but can’t do anything without a hard-drive of course). The main advantage of this solution is that you can swap out the disks and chenge them to your likings and you have nothing to really orry about. 

The other ones, that are “closed systes” with the OS stored on a hard drive. Which means, if the hard drives get out of service, you’re good to buy anotherNAS, unless of course, you knw how to partition to reinstall a proper system from scratch… but that implies some skills in Unix systems. 

Anyways, I am pretty confident that the reset trick may work in your case. I would be really surprise if it did not.

My guess is that for a product like your’s there are two levels of resets. One for the router ; one for the hard drive. But this may result in you loosing all the data on the hard drives…

This is why I would suggest to try to hold down the “Reset” button while the N900 is laying flat on the upper side. Hold down the “Reset” button for about 30 seconds, then, still holding down the “Reset” button (that you haven’t released) unplug it, hold down the button for 30 seconds and then replug it while holding down the button for another 30 seconds. On most routers/NAS this performs some kind of “0” level reset and, providing the NAS has a kind of OS restore function, this should get it back to work. If not… you’re good to go for a warranty case :frowning:

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Hi everyone,

Well, the latest firmware 1.06.28 is now up and running since 3 days and I have not run into any problems : 

• downloads from the router : OK ; 

• uptime : 3 days : OK (let’s see if this lasts) 

• routing service : OK

• wireless : OK

• parental controls : OK. 

So, after a real anger because this wans’t working at all, it now approaches to the killer device I was looking for ! 

If only we could have that SM sharing ! 

BILL : if you’re there, could you find out what version of SMB is implemented in the N900 ? I guess it is, either a “custom” one from WD or an old one (like 2.X). If this is the case, would you think it is possible to get a FW version with either a regular version or a 3.X version of the SMB protocol ? 

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Well, seemed to work well all weekend, this morning the router was locked up and I had no wired or wireless.  Required a power cycle to restore.  3 hours later, another lockup.

Not doing anything intesive on the system.  We’ll see how long this one lasts.

traats wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, NetPenguin, and I’ll make sure to never do an online FW update again.

I already tried the reset trick (not worried about the settings, I’m pretty confident I can remember them), but no improvement there.

Maybe I have to mention that it’s the version with 2GB HDD and that the Internal Storage LED is always on.

I’m going to open a warranty case at my supplier, hope they can help me out.

Regards,

Tom.

Try setting your computer’s IP address statically to 192.168.1.100 and open 192.168.1.1 from a web browser. Do you get a page to recover your device?