New Release - My Net Router Firmware Updates (2/21/13)

Try setting your computer’s IP address statically to 192.168.1.100 and open 192.168.1.1 from a web browser. Do you get a page to recover your device?

Thanks man! That worked just fine. Got it back up and running with the latest firmware. Even the data was stille there on the HDD. Looks like you can’t do a factory reset when it’s in that state, since all my settings were intact also.

Well, I installed Version 1.06.28  using the N900 router UI.   The install seemed to work fine, but we’ve seen several problems since then where internet connectivity has gone down, and rebooting the router restores service. 

The only thing unusual about my setup is I have the router set to 192.168.2.1 on the LAN, and I’ve got DHCP being handled by other machines.  

What’s next, I’m thinking perhaps roll-back the firmware?

Okay I updated the firmware to 1.06.28 via wireless. The update seemed to succeed and everything looked okay at first. But not long after I started noticing that I had trouble getting access to websites. The only way to fix it was to power down and then power up the router. This seemed to work but I noticed that I had to keep doing it way too often.

So I finally decided to roll back to 1.05.12. Here is where it became a nightmare! Not only was I having trouble accessing external websites, I couldn’t even access the router itself via 192.168.1.1! Powering the router off and on sort of worked but not well enough. I could access the router but while trying to navigate to the firmware tab, the web connection to the router would freeze and suddenly I was cut off from the router as it suddenly had trouble finding 192.168.1.1 even though I had been able to initially connect to the router!

So I kept turning the router off and on and kept trying to get to the firmware tab.  Somehow after dozens of attempts at powering the router off and on, I finally was able to connect to the router, get to the firmware tab, and stay connected long enough to rollback to 1.05.12.

I’ve learned my lesson! I am sticking with 1.05.12. I won’t be “upgrading” anytime soon.

Hi everyone,

Weird… my N900 with 1.06.28 is up and running for about 5 days without any problem now. 

But what I have to say is that, even if the wireless is active, it is almost unused. So this may be a reason. If so, I might consider turning of the Wireless completely :slight_smile:

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Hi Polypheus,

Well, your problems soinds like a typical conflict between 2 DHCP servers. 

May I ask if you have another DHCP server on your network ? Maybe one that is integrated with the modem provided by your ISP ? 

Anyways, if there is another DHCP server connected, a simple trouble shoot is to assign the N900 (or the other DHCP server) another range of IP’s. As your N900 is on the 192.182.1.1 range, you can use the 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1 range for the otehr DHCP server. But this may cause some problems in letting several devices to communicate together…

You’ll have to set static routes to direct one of the DHCP server to another address (tpically an addres like 10.0.0.1) and the other one to access that same range (10.0.0.2) and then a another static route for incoming connections. A littel complicated, but it may fit your needs once done :slight_smile:

Regards. 

NetPenguin

Hi NetPenguin:

My home network setup has the N900C as the main router. Then via ethernet, I connect to another router (Asus RT-N56U) in AP Mode. Since it is in AP Mode, the N56U’s NAT and DHCP server functions should be disabled. I do not actually want the N56U to be acting as a DHCP server but I don’t think it is (or should be) doing so.

Actually I believe I disconnected the N56U from the N900C at one point and it didn’t seem to make a difference. This problem only occurred with 1.06.28. When I reverted back to 1.05.12, this problem goes away.

I’m not sure how I can assign the N56U to be on 192.168.2.1 though because I think the N900C forces you to assign local IP address connected to the N900C in the 192.168.1.x range. If you can show me how to do this, I might try it and if that helps. But it sounds like a bug in 1.06.28 because again the problem isn’t there in 1.05.12.

Thanks for any further insight.

Hi Polypheus, 

Weird indeed. I also have an Apple Airport Extreme connected to my N900. This is also a router. It is set to “Bridge” mode. And both are working without a single glitch since 5 days now ! And they both share 2 NAS’s…

But, of course, one main question : is there something that you"'re looking for that does not work with 1.05.12 ? If not, it would be wise to stick to it :slight_smile: As we say here in France : “Don’t change a winning team” !

Regards. 

NetPenguin

NetPenguin wrote:

Hi everyone,

Well, the latest firmware 1.06.28 is now up and running since 3 days and I have not run into any problems : 

• downloads from the router : OK ; 
  • uptime : 3 days : OK (let’s see if this lasts) 
  • routing service : OK
  • wireless : OK
  • parental controls : OK. 

So, after a real anger because this wans’t working at all, it now approaches to the killer device I was looking for ! 

If only we could have that SM sharing ! 

BILL : if you’re there, could you find out what version of SMB is implemented in the N900 ? I guess it is, either a “custom” one from WD or an old one (like 2.X). If this is the case, would you think it is possible to get a FW version with either a regular version or a 3.X version of the SMB protocol ? 

Regards. 

NetPenguin

I’ve actually been looking into this.  But I’m still waiting on some information.  As for the idea of a custom version of firmware, that won’t happen. 

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your answer. 

To make things clear : I am not asking fr a custom version of SMB ! 

Quite the opposite :slight_smile:

A plain regular implementation of the latest (I think it’s 4.0.X) version of SMB would probably allow me to get acces to the USB attached hard drives from my universal Blu-Ray player that is able to get to the network over SMB… which is much more reliable and convenient for sound quality than DLNA :wink:

If I could have this, I’d be the happiest user of the N900 router :slight_smile:

By the way : FW 1.06.28 is now up and running since 6 days and 3 hours ! No hangs or other what so ever… Nice. 

Regards. 

NetPenguin

24 and 72 hours after upgrade in firmware to 1.06.28 my n900 central 2TB stop working and had to be turned off and on to work again :frowning: so I’m back to same again “an unreliable router!” :frowning: :frowning: can’t cuss here cause it wouldn’t add anything to my frustration!

My N900 Non-central is still locking up after 2-3 days. I have updated to latest successfully, performed factory reset and still problems.

I have a single router (N900) and an AP hard wired in to N900. 3 wireless devices using wireless G mostly and 2 devices using N. I have a USB printer and a USB drive attached.

wireless speeds seem to decay right before the unit locks up. I have 15Mb download internet, My wireless speeds slow to around 250Kb/s then will eventually lock up when left alone. Once power cycled the speeds instantly return.

Today’s lock up took place when no one was home and no traffic across the router, strange.Right back to square one for me.

I will give WD one more month to fix this. I am going to start calling WD regarding a possible replacement model or a refund. I am sick of this equipment after only 6 months and as many firmware updates. WD ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS? EITHER FIX IT OR PULL IT!

Edit
When locked up the lights on front of router are all on, no flashing. The wifi is gone, both bands and freq. The wired connectivity is still up allowing my hardwired ap access to other devices. No internet for wired connections. The router dashboard is non-responsive and cannot be accessed. Therefore no log files can be seen. With no way to view log files prior to cycling power, I cannot troubleshoot anymore. The timeframe seems to be roughly 2 days. I will start recording the power cycle times to assist WD. I will assist WD in any way to resolve this. I love the possible, not the actual of this router.

There are a few of us having problems with 1.06.28. Does this problem also exist when using 1.05.12 as well?

I found very similiar problems (can’t access web and need to constantly reboot the router) but 1.05.12 seemed to be working okay.

You can get 1.05.12 at:

http://products.wdc.com/n900centralrollback/

I recall a lot of problems with 1.05.18, so much so that WD pulled it. It looks like 1.06.28 is better but some of those problems weren’t completely solved.

Anyway I suggest to use 1.05.12 and see if that solves the problems.

With an attitude lack that, would you mind if your 4 cylinder car got 10mpg’s due to the companies engine software bugs? And while your mpg’s were trash, the car shut off 3 times a week randomly while driving? All while the company is marketing the great fuel economy, top speed and reliabilty?

The reason I upgrade firmware is due to their revision notes claiming to fix issues and improve the product! Not due to upgrade fever.

I refuse to live with issues no matter what firmware I use. [Deleted] Due to it being an appliance, I will get my money’s worth informing eveyone that comes across this forum about my experiences to possible future owners. I pm anyone asking questions prior to buying these routers. If WD cannot answer my pm’ s, resolve my open tickets, resolve these publically documented issues and please its exisitng customers, why should they have future customers? Eventually they will run out of guinea pigs.

I have already replaced the router with a different brand and continue to work with WD to resolve the problems. I am going through all of this for others and myself. When I feel like tinkering or supporting WD I plug the n900 back in. I thought about selling it on ebay, but due to messages on forums like this, their value is low.

Nissan_SR20_Man

I completely understand your frustration. Many months ago, I upgraded to 1.05.12 and things seemed okay (except for QoS not working but I can live without that for now). When Firmware 1.06.18 came out though, it was a disaster, so much so that they actually had to pull it. 1.06.28 seems to work (for some at least) better, but I am seeing the same issues many of us saw in 1.06.18, namely the router suddenly not working right and needing to constantly reboot.

But the point about going back to 1.05.12 is really to see if others are also seeing issues only AFTER moving to 1.06.28. If so, then the issue can be narrowed down to something that was broken in 1.06.28.

I purchased the N900 then attempted to connect a My Book 3 TB to the USB.  The connection process went well but during the backup process of a Windows 8 HP desktop the N900 hangs and all connections are disabled including the internet connection.  The only way the unit can be reset is to power cycle the N900.  I have the latest firmware, 1.06.28.

Thank You in advance for any help.

I haven’t tried rolling back to 1.05.12 yet, but I just wanted to add my displeasure with the 1.06.28 firmware release. Before the update I didn’t have many problems, but since the update my wireless connection stops working pretty regularly. It definitely happens at least once a day, but yesterday it stopped 4 times! Turning the router off and then back on restores the wireless connection, but man it’s getting annoying as **bleep** to have to do that so often.

Im finding with this update my router is overheating and locks up.  i have to constantly reboot the router.

Thanks for all your feedback! I will continue to stay on 1.4.11 which is stable for me.

My wife’s iMac has been hardwired to the N900 and she’s been complaining about freqeunt disconnects using 1.05.12. I usually work with my MacBook Air wirelessly and have noticed some, though infrequent, disconnects. I also had a complete failure of the router last week, at 3am when there was little activity, requiring a router reboot. 

Today, I had to do some work on her system and noticed the frequent disconnects, most of which lasted about 10-20 seconds, after which connection was reestablished. I decided to check for a firmware upgrade, found 1.06.28, and installed it via the dashboard. Since the upgrade, the frequency of disconnects has actually increased significantly, now occurring every few minutes, twice while trying to reset passwords on a credit card site.  So the upgrade apparently didn’t address the source of my disconnect problems.

BTW, I no longer regulary use my desktop Windows 7 system, the other computer hardwared to the router, so I’m not sure if this is a problem related only to the port to which the iMac is connected. (I haven’t yet tried switching yet, as I was ‘insensitive’ to the problem and my wife’s plight until today. Mea culpa,honey).

Just updated.  I hope that this one is better than 1.06.28.  I downloaded the 1.05.12 zip just in case I have to downgrade.  As for a feature request, I would like the ability to change the LAN IP while the router is in AP mode.  essentially I would like to have separate VLANs setup.  I know I can accomplish this by using router mode and setting the default gateway to the main router, but I noticed connectivity issues when I previously did this.  I may try it again if no one can see any issues with it.  Anyone?