New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.32.05-044 (9/5/12)

If you are on 02.11.09-053, the patch that was released does not affect you. We will be releasing an update next week (if all goes well) that will be available for those on the -053 release.

WDTony wrote:

If you are on 02.11.09-053, the patch that was released does not affect you. We will be releasing an update next week (if all goes well) that will be available for those on the -053 release.

Ah ok thanks.  The release notes kind of hinted at that, but I wasn’t sure.

Yea - we certainly have complicated things :frowning:

We have also removed the manual downloads section for the time being. Part of the reason we pulled the previous update was because of the issue noted in the patch notes when upgrading from a year old version of the firmware. For now, everyone has to be on 02.11.09-053 before they can upgrade to newer software.

@Tony I think what’s been most problematic is the poor sense WD has manifested regarding the need for adequate “crisis” communications - most of all, a clear indication that you’re “listening” and on a regular basis.

Case in point, several forum members have asked for rollback instructions, and - as far as I can see - these people have been uniformly ignored by WD.

I’d say before you invest all your marbles in moving on to the next update, you should do your best to get people who are currently sitting there with “dead or seriously injured” drives back to the point they were at before this current round of problems started with the second update - back before the patch.

JoeyG

We are listening  all the way up to the highest levels. No one here likes what has happened, and we are doing our best to try to rectify the situation. Even with the best testing, you can’t catch everything. The last firmware update issue only showed up in large amounts of users hitting the datacenter. That is not easily reproducible. That being said, rolling back firmware is not recommended. Many changes happen to the internals that preclues rolling back. That is why we pulled it off the web site.

WDTony wrote:

JoeyG

→ We are listening  all the way up to the highest levels.

I can corroborate this. I had an email this morning from Dennis P. Ulrich, Director of WW Technical Support.

→ No one here likes what has happened, and we are doing our best to try to rectify the situation. Even with the best testing, you can’t catch everything.

My original tendency was to let you off easy on this comment,  but … hey  Tony, Western Digital is - with the takeover of Hitachi - now officially the world’s largest hard drive producer. If you can’t do it, who can? 

I don’t want to ask how many MBLs you’ve sold, but - just for the sake of an argument - I’ll compare you with another “leader of the pack”: Microsoft. Can you imagine what would happen if they produced a series of problematic updates like these two, and I won’t even talk about Windows; I’ll stick to a problem updating Excel or Access. Sure Bill and the Boys have had hiccups, but as far as I know, there’s never been anything like this.

Anyway, I didn’t really want to comment on the technical issues. My emphasis was on what I’ve seen as a communications problem. The promptness of your reply indicates that at least one person’s attention has been focussed.

→ The last firmware update issue only showed up in large amounts of users hitting the datacenter. That is not easily reproducible.

I’ll have to take your word for it.

→ That being said, rolling back firmware is not recommended. Many changes happen to the internals that preclues rolling back. That is why we pulled it off the web site.

OK Tony, but as you’ve read here, several people have reported setbacks, and I’d guess that for every person who’s registered a comment here, there are ten (or fifty?) others who don’t know about or don’t take the time to consult the forums.

The people here are - I assume - what could be termed “sophisticated” users. My guess (based on the relatively simple notion that you’ve sold lots more MBLs than you have postings to this forum) is that there’s a large (desperate? / fuming?) “silent majority” of people who have shelled out for the drives, unwittingly updated their machines, and are sitting there wondering “why me God?”.

Anyway, enough prolix. Thanks for your efforts, have a nice weekend, and on Monday, do your best to help the neediest (of the MBL buyers). Oh, and you might pass my message on to Bill_S, too. With all due respect, I’ve found his responses overly sparse and overly terse.

Sep 21 18:57:44 Albert logger: send mediacrawler 4655 wakeup signal
Sep 21 19:14:02 Albert logger: exit standby after 7 (since 2012-09-21 19:13:55.577805132 +0200)
Sep 21 19:25:47 Albert logger: exit standby after 97 (since 2012-09-21 19:24:10.013816701 +0200)
Sep 21 19:26:47 Albert logger: send mediacrawler 4655 wakeup signal
Sep 21 19:43:07 Albert logger: exit standby after 7 (since 2012-09-21 19:43:00.381815251 +0200)
Sep 21 19:56:45 Albert logger: exit standby after 209 (since 2012-09-21 19:53:16.001815885 +0200)
Sep 21 19:57:45 Albert logger: send mediacrawler 4655 wakeup signal
Sep 21 21:42:15 Albert logger: exit standby after 7 (since 2012-09-21 21:42:08.401806514 +0200)
Sep 21 21:56:47 Albert logger: exit standby after 263 (since 2012-09-21 21:52:24.121817067 +0200)
Sep 21 21:57:48 Albert logger: send mediacrawler 4655 wakeup signal
Sep 21 22:15:52 Albert logger: exit standby after 8 (since 2012-09-21 22:15:44.705815140 +0200)
Sep 21 22:16:55 Albert logger: send mediacrawler 4655 wakeup signal

The drive has not been accessed, no new files have been put on the drive, yet this constant waking up for no apparent reason and a mediacrawler wakeup signal.

Would it be possible to NOT have mediacrawler waking up the drive, seen as there is a pretty low probability of new content having put there whilst the drive is asleep, and just let it run when the drive wakes up (if it has missed a timed scan due to being asleep)?

Also, I agree with the previous poster - the lack of communication is in many cases worse than the buggy updates. “Oh **bleep**, we’re working on it, don’t worry we’re here and we’re listening to you” would calm a lot of people down. Maybe even sending a notice out to all of the people with this firmware (like you do with the new firmware available-notifications) telling them what’s going on? Or answering the question why you don’t offer a way of rolling back…

FWIW, I decided to go ahead an apply this patch.  My current firmware level was 2.32.05-044 and the upgrade to 2.32.05.144 went very smoothly.  I didn’t seem to think the reboot took very long.

Drive seems to sleep OK.  Note, however, that I don’t do anything but use the MBL as a local shared file server.  No media serving, no remote access.

I did get the unusual alert today that the patch was available.  I think what puzzled me was this part of the alert e-mail:

which said my last update happened on 9/30/2012, which is in the future.

Firmware version:	02.32.05-044
Event title:Firmware update successful

Event description:The firmware update was successful.

Severity:info

Event code:2004

Event time:09-30-2012 05:41:32 PM

Anyone else game enough to apply the patch and can provide feedback?

If you do, please provide your previous firmware version.

I have installed this patch but still having intermittent connection via remote on IPAD and iphones. Not stable as yet.

Hope the new firmware due next week will resolve this.

I updated to the latest  My Book Live Firmware Patch 2.32.05-144 (9/19/2012) seems wd2go and private shares to users working well again but am bothered that the light infront keeps blinking green and drive inside seems to be spinning rapidly is this normal?

I will sleep and see if the drive does the same will get back to you in a couple of hours :slight_smile:

Perhaps the drive is re-indexing itself?

Can I WDstaff member confirm or deny whether the drive will do that from time-to-time or after an update has been applied?

the remote access started having errors failed to connect so had to disable it:cry:

since the last firmware, i have temporary browser connectivity to the MBL, i.e. I can connect to it via browser and utlity, but usually in a few hours I lose connectivity.  I can ping it, but the browser and utility cannot see it.

anyone else having the same problem?  the latest firmware has managed to let it go to sleep mode, but it’s useless if I can’t connect to it…

After having waiting soo longI thought I would add my comment on remote access issues as no one has posted about it with the patch yet.

installed the latest patch which went ok and all seems fine however the WD2go app still will not work remotely keep getting errors when it  tries to log in, is any one else having this issue? 

Also to note it does seem the transfer speeds has reduced too between 20-25mb

For everyone who is complaining about the issues, there is not much you can do you it it’s in WD name now thait they will break it with a firmware update. I used to have a mybookworld which they broke with a firmware update got a RMA upgrade to the mybooklive and surprise surprise they have done the same thing again!  Now and then with the mybookworld WD are chasing themselves with promises to fix issues which will make months to release then cause new issues. I’ve given up expecting anythgreat fro from them and try to just use it to its bability any and back it up as often as possible. WD can add me to the list of people who they will likely never win back on any of there products. For the mybooklive I am stuck with so it can serve as a reminder to me  not bot buy WD products again.

The patch for the firmware downloaded and updated fine for me. However transferring files to the drive has taken a substantial performance hit. Previously, I could send data to the drive (hardwired, gigabit) at between 50-70MBps. Since the patch, my performance is exactly as mybookW2 described, 20-25MBps. Will the new firmware coming out also be for those of us who updated to the bugged firmware and were then patched, or is it only going to be made available to those who didn’t already update, to bring them up to the same version as those of us who did update with the ‘bugged’ firmware and then patched? I’m hoping it will be a new firmware for all of us, and that whatever has caused the performance drop will be addressed.

Thank you,

-George

Ridiculous…

WDSTAFF

I don’t want to apply the patch just yet - what happens if you release the new firmware and I have not been able to apply the current patch.

Is missing a patch/firmware not best practice in these cases? What do you recommend?

I’m glad I’m not the only one with the reduced transfer rates issue after upgrading to this firmware. Sad thing is I reported this issue on page 3 and even offered my time to WDTony to try to work this bug out but was told that in all their lab testing they did not see this issue. I have not been contacted by WDTony since I initially reported this issue and offered my time, so I guess they have no interest in working with those of us effected to try to figure out what is causing this issue. I can tell you that the MyBookLive is now running samba version 3.6.5 which defaults to smb2 but the latest stable version is 3.6.8 with a boatload of bugfixes.

Check www.samba.org for details…

After installing the patch, it worked well for 2 days. Now I no longer have remote access to my Live.

When can we expect a better and permanent fix? I am having a hard time explaining this to my bosses whom I strongly recommended WD Live solution.

@nfodiz “so I guess they have no interest in working with those of us effected to try to figure out what is causing this issue” Why would you assume this. I have fed back the information to our development teams. Just because there is a new version of open source code out there, does not mean we can upgrade immediately - especially when it comes to the samba stack. We are looking at some of the suggestions made, but those take time to validate and test.

As I said before, the main reason for updating the stack was in preparation for the upcoming Windows 8 launch. There were some specific requirements on us for Windows 8 that required us to upgrade. I don’t think anyone would be happy when windows 8 launched and the MBl didn’t work right either … right?