New Release - My Book Live Duo Firmware Version 2.41.05-034 (2/28/13)

The update.log file may not show anything or for a downgrade there is a process that would need to be done, but there is no code there so nothing logged.

What the firmware designers/assemblers have in mind when the firmware was assembled. Did they consider that there may be downgrades going on?

As always… Do it at your risk.

Agreed, I ran the postinstall and preinstall scripts through IDM Ultracompare and there are indeed quite a few differences between both sets of scripts. So just to be on that safe side I’m gonna pull the firmware down. If anybody REALLY wants it, PM me and I’ll hook you up but I’m NOT responsible for any damage done to your drive.

Thanks again Myron and Bill_S

I have two MBLDs and the one I’ve downgraded with nfodiz’s script is the one that’s not permanently in use so I can’t guarantee any anomalies won’t pop up later down the road. However, since the files on it weren’t irreplacable, I decided to take the plunge since I’m too much of a Linux newbie to manually install Midnight Commander and Pyload with that many unmet depencies. Personally I find it totally weird that a Lenny distribution would refer to Squeeze and Sid sources.

Bill_S wrote:
To be honest, doing a rollback could be problematic in and of itself.  You may end up with pieces of firmware left behind that could adversely affect the drive’s function. […] Doing resets may help, but doing a Factory Restore is data destructive

Which makes no sense whatsoever. I mean, when nfodiz can change this with a few modified script lines so that only the firmware partition is deleted, why not do it like this? I can imagine that rolling back a NAS is more complex than rolling back a WDTV but this just **bleep**.

To be honest, the best thing would be to buy one of these Raspberry PI computers and use that for all the exotic stuff. at least from a secury stand point if Transmission on the MBL or MBLD gets hacked then the NAD is compromised. On a Raspberry PI if it gets hacked, replace the image on the SD card with a clean image. If you configure something on the PI that bricks it, replace the SD card’s file system with a working image. Both operate on Debian Linux

Sure, but since I’m not part of any swarm with pyload, I’m not too worried about getting hacked. I’ve tried Transmission once and it got only half the speed (on the same torrent) I got when downloading with utorrent instead so I ditched it and (rarely) do torrents with my laptop instead.

Re-opened this thread for now.  New update was postponed.

Hi

what was change in new version of firmware

Thank you

Bill,

Without sifting through seven pages in this thread: is there anything known about connection problems to personal shares in Windows7? Is there anything coming in this regard for the next release … and when can this release be expected?

Many thanks,

Roger

I don’t know, but the next release is out.