New Release - My Book Live Duo Firmware Version 2.41.05-034 (2/28/13)

This is a double edged sword because an update could address a problem that “could” happen and if it did happen the result could result in loss of data and/or other problems.

Just bought  MBLD… Installed latest update. DLNA server is not streaming mkv’s, not a single one ( I can play them on my tv from USB drive ). I have heard I can solve this problem by installing third party dlna server, but I’d rather go and return the device as it’s not doing what I want it to… What a disappointment! Is it that hard to pre-install normal dlna server?

Are you sure your TV supports MKV over DLNA?

He wrote that the media plays from a USB drive. what’s the make and model of the TV? more over that is the version of the firmware in the TV. Would be useful to take up the query with the TV manufacturer.

Myron wrote:
He wrote that the media plays from a USB drive.

Yep - but many TVs won’t play the same media via DLNA that it can play locally via USB.

Wonder why? does not make sense why DNLA on some TVs is restrictive.

Bought a new 6TB Duo last week and updated to new firmware straight away. The DLNA still does not work properly. I use the Duo to stream music via ethernet to a Naim Network Player controlled via Ipad app. The server is not reading the file tags correctly i.e. the file folder names are appearing as the album names/99.9% of the artists names and genres are “unknown”/embedded artwork is missing  and browsing for other categories causes the player to stop and rebuffer on a 1 gig ethernet network. All the files have been copied over from my 3TB MBL and worked without a problem using twonky so clearly this is a DLNA problem i.e. the media server software is not fit for purpose. I’ve rebuilt the media server database a couple of times and also reset the Duo but the problems persist.

Most unhappy with this product which will be returning to retailer.

The DLNA still does not work properly.

Good to hear that. I do also experience problems with the DLNA Server, namely with sorting of Music. Pretty much the same as you describe. So, if this isn’t fixed yet, I don’t have to bother about the upgrade.

Actually I think about spending the 19,95 € on a license of Twonky and installing that as the primary media server on my MBLD. A ppc linux binary should be available… Does anybody have experience with Twonky on MBLD?
Until then I can still stream music via ownCloud. Good enough for Music, but doesn’t work for videos or movies, though. If there only where really good players for the iPad…

EDIT:
I just installed TwonkyServer 7.0.9 on the MBLD. It works like a charm, the indexing is much faster, the configuration more powerful via web interface - *and*, most important, the media is sorted properly :-).
The license is just 14.95€ (or $19.95), that’s worth it! And there is a good installation guide for WD MyBook Live Duo:

http://community.twonky.com/twonky/topics/how_to_install_twonky_server_on_wd_mybook_live_duo?page=1

Since upgrading to the latest firmware on my 4TB MBLD my Mac(s) keep failing to establish a connection to the MBLD.  During these period I can’t even access the MBLD Dashboard, use WD Quick View or use the Mobile Apps from my phone.

The only way to establish a new connection is to unplug the MBLD.  Once the unit is powered back up again I can access via Finder, Dashboard, WD Quick View and use the Mobile Apps.

At present I’m having to unplug and power up again every 3 to 4 days.

Prior to the update the only portion of my MBLD that didn’t work correctly was the DNLA.  Now I am having significantly more issues.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to move forward with this?

Further to my last post, the follwoing is the message I keep recieving when trying to access MBLD from my Mac:

• Something wrong with the volume’s CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead.Check server messages for details. Switching to read-only mode.

What happens if you try access files using SMB?

@ ChasingAdonai The other day I created a custom firmware deb for  Techflaws of the WD forums so that he could downgrade his MBLDuo back to version 024006-048-20121206. His downgrade was 100% successful. All that I modified was the firmware control file that holds the version number to allow the MBLDUO to THINK it’s upgrading to a newer firmware when in fact it’s downgrading. The rootfs.img (OS partition file is untouched)

I have to say ahead of time that it worked for him, but if something goes wrong, I am NOT responsible. You downgrade of your own free will. That being said, here’s the link

DOWNLOAD REMOVED AS I DON’T WANT TO HARM ANYBODY’S DUO

If anybody REALLY wants it, PM me and I’ll hook you up but I’m NOT responsible for any damage done to your drive

Good point for being cautious. When the upgrade is performed a set of scripts are also run and there is no way to know how those post upgrade scripts will behave when they are changing stuff on an unexpected firmwaew version.

Just for all to keep this in mind.

Myron, you are absolutely correct. Preinstall and postinstall scripts are run upon the upgrade/downgrade from dashboard. I need to get ahold of Techflaw’s update.log file from /CacheVolume and see if it hit any snags on him (even though his downgrade was successful) I’ll try to get ahold of him and see if I can get that file…

The other thing to consider is that such a downgrade maybwork now and there may be no adverse affects, but that action may break something later on down the line.

nfodiz wrote:

@ ChasingAdonai The other day I created a custom firmware deb for  Techflaws of the WD forums so that he could downgrade his MBLDuo back to version 024006-048-20121206. His downgrade was 100% successful. All that I modified was the firmware control file that holds the version number to allow the MBLDUO to THINK it’s upgrading to a newer firmware when in fact it’s downgrading. The rootfs.img (OS partition file is untouched)

I have to say ahead of time that it worked for him, but if something goes wrong, I am NOT responsible. You downgrade of your own free will. That being said, here’s the link

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?agn38gml211d821

@ChasingAdonai

Let me make this a little more official.  This is an open forum, and as such, we don’t try to control how you use your device, or what you do with it.  So, you must remember that it is your responsibility if something happens to your device.  WD won’t take sides in matters like this.  Also, before trying anything, always make sure that you have your data backed up. That way if you brick the device, you’re only looking at replacing it and not all your data.  Both nfodiz and Myron have been around for a while, and have helped a lot of other users.  So, I’m confident you’re in good hands.  But if they are hesitant about doing something, I would pay attention.  You might want to let nfodiz look at Techflaws logs before jumping on this.

Well said Bill… I am awaiting a response from Techflaws and will report back my findings.
I have a question for both yourself and Myron…
Would reinstalling the CURRENT firmware on his device from the dasbboard possibly remedy his issues? I have done this many many times on a MyBookLive with no adverse effects.
Just a nice clean factory OS with all settings intact.

nfodiz wrote:
Well said Bill… I am awaiting a response from Techflaws and will report back my findings.
I have a question for both yourself and Myron…
Would reinstalling the CURRENT firmware on his device from the dasbboard possibly remedy his issues? I have done this many many times on a MyBookLive with no adverse effects.
Just a nice clean factory OS with all settings intact.

That I don’t know.  But I don’t think it’s something we would recommend or support.  To be honest, doing a rollback could be problematic in and of itself.  You may end up with pieces of firmware left behind that could adversely affect the drive’s function.

[edit]

What I mean by it being something we don’t recommend, is trying to reinstall the previous firmware over the update firmware.  That’s problematic.  I don’t know if you even can reinstall current firmware over itself.  Doing resets may help, but doing a Factory Restore is data destructive, I believe. However, it still keeps the current firmware on the drive.

On the MBL you can reinstall the same version over itself. DUO may be different though…

@Bill_S send me a DUO to play with :slight_smile:

I’ll tear this thing apart in no time :stuck_out_tongue:

I went over Techflaws update.log with a fine toothed comb… The only error with upgrade vs downgrade in the log was…

Upgrade

[apache-php-webdav.preinst] 03/02/13 11:29:58: update 02.00.01-88851
Remove all non-device users
Delete apache user pwd for user=admin id=1
- deleting apache user admin in /etc/nas/apache2/auth/htpasswd
Deleting password for user admin

Downgrade

[apache-php-webdav.preinst] 03/27/13 14:18:36: update 02.00.01-88851
Remove all non-device users
Delete apache user pwd for user=admin id=1
- deleting apache user admin in /etc/nas/apache2/auth/htpasswd
User admin not found

No other errors present

Also I believe Techflaws used updateFirmwareFromFile.sh instead of the dashboard to do the downgrade

updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/27/13 14:14:23:upgrade start: /CacheVolume/DOWNGRADE.ap2nc-024006-048-20121206.deb
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/27/13 14:14:23:check_size=
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/27/13 14:14:23:version_current=024105034
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/27/13 14:14:23:version_newfile=044006048
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/27/13 14:14:23:package_newfile=ap2nc
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/27/13 14:14:23:master_package_name=ap2nc
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/27/13 14:14:23:master_package_new=ap2nc
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/27/13 14:14:23:update_container=
(Reading database ...

So far everything is running fine for him, but there is always the possibility you could run into issues later on down the line with an upgrade as Bill_S and Myron have stated. But even then you could fix the drive by pulling disk A and running a debrick script from my guide.

And as always have a backup of a backup :wink:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/GUIDE-Debrick-a-MyBookLive-DUO/td-p/544860