New Release - Firmware Version 3.05.10 for WD TV Live Hub (6/5/12)

good day, 

i recently purchased my wd live media hub and i just wanted to know if i’d lose all my data thats stored on the media player after i update the firmware.

Thanks in advance

No. Your data would not be lose.

BBC i Player!!!

Thank you WD!!

Look forward to more UK apps. :smileyvery-happy:

First of all i want to thank WD for a wonderful update. I dont know wether anyone has noticed there is a huge change in the display quality output through HDMI on a LED TV. I was on 3.01 before updating to 3.05, after updating i have found a huge change in the video quality output on my sony 46 led tv. The menu’s and home page are very very crisp and clear, also colors are very good in movies now. I have not changed any video output settings for 3.05 its the same 1080p/60 hz and 12 bit color. The firmware is also smooth to navigate but WD please do something about the Media Library, after booting up it takes nearly another 2 min to compile the library, please do something to speed this process.

rocksinger wrote:

First of all i want to thank WD for a wonderful update. I dont know wether anyone has noticed there is a huge change in the display quality output through HDMI on a LED TV. I was on 3.01 before updating to 3.05, after updating i have found a huge change in the video quality output on my sony 46 led tv. The menu’s and home page are very very crisp and clear, also colors are very good in movies now. I have not changed any video output settings for 3.05 its the same 1080p/60 hz and 12 bit color. The firmware is also smooth to navigate but WD please do something about the Media Library, after booting up it takes nearly another 2 min to compile the library, please do something to speed this process.

Mmmmm are you sure you never pressed a setting for your TV. WD have not touched anything setting wise for a long time as far as I am aware. They just keep adding more services that are useless.

You do know that the Menu etc are all at 720P, so it will never get better at 1080P, I am happy things are better for you, but this firmware never did it.  :slight_smile:

All,

Since updating the Audio on some files is not working either as Stereo or Digital - HDMI Pass Through. The same files are working on my other hub 3.04.17, have done reset to Factory as well.

I tried to rollback firmware but I have no ‘New Firmware Icon’ on the menu.  I used the rollback file and the procedure on different usb sticks - still no New Firmware Icon.  I just need to be able to point it to the old firmware on the USB

Any ideas???

miestyy wrote:

All,

Since updating the Audio on some files is not working either as Stereo or Digital - HDMI Pass Through. The same files are working on my other hub 3.04.17, have done reset to Factory as well.

I tried to rollback firmware but I have no ‘New Firmware Icon’ on the menu.  I used the rollback file and the procedure on different usb sticks - still no New Firmware Icon.  I just need to be able to point it to the old firmware on the USB

Any ideas???

Before you rollback, have you done a factory reset through the settings. Its always worth a go and does not touch your media files on any devices. The Hub does recognise the device does it ?

All I can think is you have all the files in a folder on the USB stick and the Hub cannot see them. Make sure you have them in the root of the device.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live

If you do follow this guide to the letter, it will work, I have done it many times myself.

Hi, i have been folllowing all firmware release threads continously from ver 3.01 to 3.05, also i have never seen anyone comment on this thing, but its definetely improved the display. As i had mentioned in my last post, i have not done any changes in the display settings except changing it to 1080p/60 hz as it reverted to 720p after updating to 3.05 but the change is definetely visible, also my wife noticed the change.

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

I followed the official procedure (below) and downloaded the correct firmware.  I had done a return to Factory Default also.

I extracted the files to my PC and copied to the Root of the device and could see the files on the USB from the PC,

I found an unofficial process to edit the .ver file and this worked nicely - the new firmware icon came up and the firmware rolled back.

The same files now play the Audio - I guess I will log a firmware issue - never seen this before - any comments??

rocksinger wrote:

Hi, i have been folllowing all firmware release threads continously from ver 3.01 to 3.05, also i have never seen anyone comment on this thing, but its definetely improved the display. As i had mentioned in my last post, i have not done any changes in the display settings except changing it to 1080p/60 hz as it reverted to 720p after updating to 3.05 but the change is definetely visible, also my wife noticed the change.

Well I definately notice a difference in the cover art display…I made some genere folder.jpg files. With the old FW the graphics had some pixelation?/artifacts around the lettering. Now it’s gone! They look like I thought they should have looked all along and I spent hours trying to figure out why they looked so badly. So, might not have been intentional by WD as I see no mention of it in the release notes, but something happened.

@flhthemi

Well I definately notice a difference in the cover art display…I made some genere folder.jpg files. With the old FW the graphics had some pixelation?/artifacts around the lettering. Now it’s gone! They look like I thought they should have looked all along and I spent hours trying to figure out why they looked so badly. So, might not have been intentional by WD as I see no mention of it in the release notes, but something happened.

Page 4 of Release Notes for Firmware 3.03.13

* Resolved movie thumbnail extremely grainy and pixelated.

http://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WDTV_Live_Hub_ReleaseNotes_3.05.10.pdf

(and by some miracle the resolved problem is not broken in the latest Firmware)

TheGingerMonkey wrote:
Hi,

Where’s the iPlayer option? I upgraded and I now get the new Live TV section with sling player in it, but I don’t see iPlayer anywhere in Services. Am I missing something?

I live in the Isle of Man, which is in the UK, so I guess I should qualify.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

TGM

I have the same issue with ABC Australia iView (and yes, I’m in Australia on a very well known ISP here).  It doesn’t appear anwhere in the new Services menu, even under “All”.

I’ve yet to check but I run the WDLiveHub via “Internet sharing” from another PC which itself is already on a NAT network.  Other services work fine, but maybe the box itself does some geo-location itself therefore blocking the menu item?  Seems unlikely, but I guess I’ll have to do some re-cabling to find out.

iView does work fine here but only on PCs and Macs on the same NAT network.

Has anybody else got iView or iPlayer working?

EDIT: Pulling apart the firmware, I can see the button images:

iPlayer.png iview.png

EDIT 2:  I noticed that my timezone was reset to GMT after this firmware update.  Changed it back to GMT +800 but made no difference.  :frowning:

EDIT 3:  A factory reset (preserving onine accounts option) fixed the problem.  Interestingly, the BBC iPlayer doesn’t show up (which I officially can’t use in Australia), but it leads me to believe that the presence of the button has some voodoo code for geo-location, perhaps during initial setup.

Just updated the firmware & all looks well, but finally over the moon that 5.1 films are now being played in 5.1, hoorah! I’ve got an old JBL all in one home cinema connected via optical lead (no hdmi on JBL) and Dolby 5.1 had never worked, I had to opt for the PCM route but now…WooHoo! Cannot beat good sound to compliment a good film. Better late than never ! Regards Rick

@ Tony68

After i upgraded to Firmware 3.05.10  i could access ABC IView straight away …

Did a little ‘test’ to see if it worked … no problems

im GMT+10.00 and have a WDTV Live Hub purchased from  Store  Retailer  JB-HI FI

Starting to wonder if  Australian Hub Users who have Purchased there Devices ‘Online’  are having the problem.

I dunno,  it’s all just ‘guessing’… ?

JoeySmyth wrote:

@ Tony68

After i upgraded to Firmware 3.05.10  i could access ABC IView straight away …

Did a little ‘test’ to see if it worked … no problems

im GMT+10.00 and have a WDTV Live Hub purchased from  Store  Retailer  JB-HI FI

Starting to wonder if  Australian Hub Users who have Purchased there Devices ‘Online’  are having the problem.

I dunno,  it’s all just ‘guessing’… ?

EDIT: Here’s a Photo i took of the Label on the Box that was purchased at JB-HI FI  (Serial and Other Numbers blurred for Privacy Reasons)

Thanks for the help, but a factory reset did the trick.  See my edit to my original post above.

I did get mine from Harris Technology so no gray-market there.

Now to get ABC to do 2Pass encoding at a slightly higher resolution and bitrate.  After all that, it looks horrible on my 42" LCD.  :frowning:

EDIT: I must admit, some shows DO seem to be a higher resolution.  :slight_smile:

@ Tony68

Glad to hear you got it working :smiley:

The Picture quality of ABC IView has always been low unfortunately …

Ive have it on my Pansonic Viera 42 " TV, Playstation 3 and XBox 360 and all are the same quality on a larger TV.

But, im still thankful for it … was in hospital last year or so and they only had Analog Broadcast TV … no ABC2

So when i got out, switched on the Playstation 3 and caught up with the shows i missed. :smiley:

All in all, so far so good! Installed with no problems, seems to play everything correctly and quickly. Added some services I can’t use… but that is nit picking. I like that at least one new core feature was added with the sleep timer and the arrangement of the services menu is better.

Still dreaming of that 1st rate audio player experience though.

I noticed that my hub now loads longer than it used to , also, upon loading it freezes and becomes unresonsive to any key presses for may be a minute.

Also, youtube leanback app doesn’t work, it just freezes when i try to start it. 

I would also prefer to have an ability  to remove some of those apps. I don’t like this clutter and bloatware at all… 

I don’t have very many WMV files, but I notice the new firmware won’t play them and I think older versions did. Honestly, though, I can’t totally remember it’s been so long since I played those.

The WDTVs will play Non-DRM WMV9 files just fine.

The WDTV will not play anything older than WMV9.