New Release - Firmware Version 3.00.28 for WD TV Live Hub (11/17/11)

The upgrade f…ed up my device so now it won’t play Dolby-HD out of my HDMI connection to my receiver… please help

I recently purchased the WD TV live Hub and what makes a great product sometimes is the ability for the community to create 3rd party themes and addon’s that inhance the product itself.   I love some of the themes created by the community, but unless I downgrade to a firmware I’m unable to use them properly… and I like some of the features added with the new firmware.  

Your customers are stuck with minimal theme options because no one is making new themes due to a .PNG and caching issue.

Ongoing issue - http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/FW-3-00-08-Same-old-thing/td-p/295652

WD… listen to the community please and make fixing these issues a priority for the next firmware, it’s should be a priority.

Hi  NorthernMan

I have the same wifi device for some reason it works in usb1 and not usb2.

I could not upgrade until switching the Media Library off. After successful upgrading I cannot access Live365, flick, Picasa and YouTube search. Radio stations and AccuWeather work but the others do not.

I have movies (MPEG2) hosted on four WIN7 Network Shares, and had used WDGEN to create cover art & XML file.

Version 2.08.13 would connect, merge all shares to a single library and allow me to navigate using NETWORK SHARE.

Media Server does the same thing under 2.08.13 but has no cover art or XML listing.

Upgraded to 3.00.28 and was suprised to see this functionality changed.

Media Server works the same, but Network Share now only shows folders.  Believe it was related to a READ ONLY SOURCE, but validate the shared folders were not marked read only and reconnected but it would never consolidate the 4 shares.

Once you open a shared folder you then get the layout expected for the related structure underneath, but the background art does not show. 

In addition as you select a movie you are placed to a second view, listing only the coverart below (duplicated above) and now get the BG Art.  This is an extra step in getting to the movie and unclear if the theme being used (Andonized) is conflicting or was an intended move by developers. 

I could see why they might want  a flavor that did not update BG as you browse all Movies, and yet provide BG art where you wanted, but would have expected an option to disable BG in a theme more appropriate instead of forcing it though firmware.

Also saw some bugs related to playback of MPEG2 audio.  Was inconsistent and I can’t replicate but the problem occured a number of times:  Accuweather would play audio fine, but flipping to a movie would not play audio.  Going through a couple of itterations of playing Youtube then flipping back to movie and sound would then playback.

Liked some of the features/fixes being introduced but believe this release is premature or specifically changing up how it will support formats and services.

I rolled back to 2.08.13 and now have a consolidated VIDEOS: ALL set, and see no MPEG2 audio problems.

When I change up the library, my work around is to restart the Hub and reconnect/rebuild the library.  :frowning:

Will watch for a future update, meantime keeping 2.08.13 until something better comes along.

how do i get the screen capture to work?

No wifi for me after update. 

Also some eratic playing of files.  Most of the file types I use are .avi. 

While playing 3 different shows at different time intervals it went to a blank screen…audio still playing.  I powered it down (with controller button) and the audio continued even though the lights were all off.  I pulled the plug and it restarted fine.  Then happened again.  The second time I didn’t power it down but instead let it run.  It ended up reverting back to the file screen but still with the audio of the show playing.  I navigated through the menu to the show I was playing (still with the audion playing) and restarted it.  It resumed back to a few seconds before I lost video.  In a span of 15 minutes this happened again about 4 times.  Really annoying and nearly makes it unwatchable.

Anyone else with this issue?

I plan on rolling back.

DeVicious wrote:

how do i get the screen capture to work?

• *Set a remote hokey. It saves the image to a USB disk. I’ve noticed it does NOT capture slide shows, backdrops, or video.

At the time i  did screen captures for testing, i was not using a usb disk.

The captures got saved on the internal disk

I can’t imagine a single moment when I’d ever want to take a screen capture from anything I was ever doing with my WD hub…  talk about a useless ‘feature’  

ClintonHammond wrote:

I can’t imagine a single moment when I’d ever want to take a screen capture from anything I was ever doing with my WD hub…  talk about a useless ‘feature’  

I think its a good feature for themers and to report bugs, perhaps?
e.g. you can do captures of error messages .

And… not being a themer… 

Nor being interested in capturing bugs (Cause it seems like WD doesn’t ever really wanna fix any of the ones that bother me)…

My initial statement stands…   I can’t imagine ever wanting to use the screen cap feature…   

YMMV  

Right now themers to take screenshots of their themes they either have to mock it in photoshop or use a digital camera. Awesome for the the designers. If someone has a problem setting up a custom theme and something doesn’t look right they can take a screenshot to show the theme designer exactly what their issue is.If you geta bug and want to submit to WD, in comes screen sahot. Windows has a screen shot feature, how often you use it, I have it to capture errors of apps at work to show to IT. I highly doubt it was ever put in Windowsn the BlackBerry Playbook, or the WDTV hub for a general fun usage item. Its more of a backend tech function if needed.

martina wrote:

Rolled back to 2.08 and now my wifi is back. i don’t know if it is a specific problem with dlink stick or what…but reverting back and now i can view online content.

I won’t upgrade again until i see on this forum that people have upgraded and wifi works. I can’t believe they didn’t test this before releasing.

Obviously wifi does work for must users or there would be more posts about this problem. Do you have an approved wifi adaptor, if it is not on the WD list than there is no guarantee that it will ever work with updated firmware. Did you try resetting the hub after you updated the firmware?

CanyonVR wrote:

No wifi for me after update. 

Also some eratic playing of files.  Most of the file types I use are .avi. 

While playing 3 different shows at different time intervals it went to a blank screen…audio still playing.  I powered it down (with controller button) and the audio continued even though the lights were all off.  I pulled the plug and it restarted fine.  Then happened again.  The second time I didn’t power it down but instead let it run.  It ended up reverting back to the file screen but still with the audio of the show playing.  I navigated through the menu to the show I was playing (still with the audion playing) and restarted it.  It resumed back to a few seconds before I lost video.  In a span of 15 minutes this happened again about 4 times.  Really annoying and nearly makes it unwatchable.

Anyone else with this issue?

I plan on rolling back.

Had a similar incident. .avi file began playing for a few seconds then screen went black and the audio continued for a few more seconds and then stopped placing the hub back on the screen the movie began playing from. So I hit the OK button and the hub prompted me to restart or resume. I restarted and the movie played all the way thru.

firetix wrote:

At the time i  did screen captures for testing, i was not using a usb disk.

The captures got saved on the internal disk

D’oh!  Of course.   I was thinking the Live-S.   The Hub does store them on the local disk.

NorthernMan wrote:

Did upgrade. Thinks looked great, until I tried to use the wifi. No go.

Anyone out there with wifi working? Did anyone with it not working get it fixed? I have a DLink micro wifi, what are other people using? Is it only DLink wifi?

If this doesn’t get solved I’ll have to go back to previous firmware, just when I noticed that they have audio sync now, which I really want.

Hope somebody figures out the wifi issue.

I upgraded from 2.07.17 > 2.08.x > 3.00.28 by using the WIFI stick from Linksys/Cisco (see exactly one in my signature below). It works perfectly again in 3.x firmware. The only think i needed to do was:

* test wifi connecting

* select again my WIFI network (but no need to enter the password) in the area.

I can use the Internet services and i have uploaded a few videos via WIFI to the harddisk in the WDTV Live Hub.

Do you have a supported WDTV WIFI stick? Do you have it plugged in on the back of the WD device?

Hello, where can I find the 2.08.13 firmware so that I can downlad it… the new version screwed up the Dolby-HD Audio. I can’t find previous versions of the irmware out of the WD web site. Thanks

Sorry I did find the previous versions of the firmwae but now I dont know how to downgrade… I mean… I read the notes in the web sie about Official and GPL so which one should I use? is there any risks of loosing my files when I downgrade?

And at last there is consolidated storage! :slight_smile: