New Release - Firmware Version 2.07.17 for WD TV Live Hub (8/2/11)

Thought I’d give my perspective on the upgrade. It did take a long time to apply and did appear to restart several times - thought with hindsight the number of restarts did seem to match the number of failed download attempts earlier in the morning. These were nothing to do with the hub but rather firewall and proxy issues on the network - I shall give myself a strong talking to for wasting my time. Perhaps the hub keeps a track of downloads started and has to clear those before applying the next firmware. Otherwise, all appears to be working normally. Videos play, you tube works, music plays. Would like to see BBC iPlayer etc added for the UK but with the UK being a small market and the reported wish of the BBC to keep the look and feel of the iPlayer consistent across all platforms it may not be financially viable for WD.

So, is the upgrade worth applying? Yes, it may not be a big step forward but it doesn’t look to have broken anything and it’s certainly not a disaster.

Thx for the update WD, finally one that works for me after update 2.04.13  :smiley:

Good job for all who helped.

Tony, any idea for those who had problems with the wired network?

My network was never be the same after this firmware. I have some folders in my PC that I share in HUB, but now I can´t see them more. Instead, I saw foloders I never share!

And when I try to watch some videos (films) hosted in PC, the subtitles (.srt, same name as film) don´t load…

since the upgrade pandora cuts off everytime the screen saver comes on and netflix instant freezes the Hub where I have to unplug the power source.

Since all I use the hub for is Pandora, Netflix Instant and watching digital video this **bleep**.

1 Like

Hi Im sure I noted a method to return to a previous software version…WD thinks of everything…

I have the same problems sometimes. Clearing the media library from the settings/system menu works for me.

You know I haven’t had one problem from this device since I bought it. Now I’m not bragging or anything but if I had a problem with mine I would suspect it was Firmware particularly after an update. I know with the Seagate unit I had there was a method we called cold flashing the unit which just entailed putting the firmware on a usb device in the root directory, plugging it in to USB port, unplugging the unit from the power supply and then holding the reset button while plugging the power supply back in. This would force a flash of whatever firmware was on the USB device. It allways seemed to fix most problems caused by a firmware update that were’n’t bugs in the firmware. Lots of strange things would pop up when the unit didn’t get a good flash. One of wich was Netflix not working in one manner or another.

Doesn’t look like this hardware has that sort of option but I would just keep re-flashing the firmware, maybe a few times, till the problems were gone.

so angry now. still no fix for the 5.1PCM passthrough, strange behaviour in mediacompiling

and folders that show every file as a double… [Deleted]

meidacompiling takes longer after deleting single files (yes, even longer than before).

did reset the device, several times to be sure, and still losing more hours of my life than i want to.

need to see if i stick to my own words and return the device XD

DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE

It appears to have a glitch w/ screensavers.

If you are using own photos as a screensaver any music that you play (from the device or streamed) will cut off when the screensaver comes on.

If you revert to WD logo as a screensaver music will play.

WD please fix ASAP

1 Like

I agree.  No more WD!

The are the exact two problems I have experienced since the upgrade. I was wondering if it was just me. Pandora stops playing EVERY TIME when the screen saver comes on, without exception. Netflix, which has never frozen for me on this device has frozen 4 or 5 times since the update and the only thing that can be done is to unplug the device as it is completely unresponsive. Now that I see someone with the exact same issue I am going to dowgrade the firmware to the previous version and be much more careful about upgrading.

Have you tried this by yourself ??? have you tried to change the firmware manual in any how ? The only thing my [deleted] WD does is asking to sync ([deleted] thing from apple) with my HDD which is 2 Tb. There is no way an manual option to change the firmware , backwards or update.

First two attempts to download the update failed, third was successful the machine rebooted and worked.

However, before doing the update I attempted to reproduce a problem I have now seen on my hub on a number of occasions (relating to corrupt word documents).

Background, my wife stores some of her MS Word documents on the hub so she can access them from her laptop and also the desktop. On several occasions we have noticed that the Word documents have been corrupted after a firmware update.

I have never been able to prove that the Hub is the problem (rather than an MS word problem or something else) so was looking forward to this opportunity. We opened some working documents (located in a directory off the root on the hub) and confirmed they were not already corrupt, then we closed them. We then updated the hub (updated to 2.07.17) and confirmed the hub worked (which it did). We then went back to the same Word documents stored on the hub, they are now corrupt.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone else also want to verify this problem (before doing the update).

To reproduce, just put a known working MS Word document (mine were Word 2007 docs) onto the hub (mine were in //HUB/DOCUMENTS ) then update the hub, when finished try opening the document from your laptop/desktop and see if it is corrupt.

Hi All,

I got my WD Hub updated via wifi and the updated cannot be completed. I also having have problems updating it manually. I would like to request a clear instruction on how to update this manually.

When I downloaded the zip file UPDATE 2.07.17, I got the files below:

1. RV_Launcher_firmware_C4 – This is a folder

2. LICENSE_NOTE

3. md5sum

4. README

5. readme.doc

6. README PREREQUISITES

7. RV_2.07.17_G.tgz – another zip folder inside the zip folder WDTV_LiveHub_GPL_package_2_07_17_G.zip.

8. RV_Project_Source_Code_License_List_2.07.17.doc

Now, this is the process I understand:

1. Prepare a clean USB Drive

2. Place the following files in the root of the USB:

• md5sum.txt
  • wdtvlivehub.bin
  • wdtvlivehub.fff
  • wdtvlivehub.ver – edit the FIRST LINE of this file to a HIGHER VERSION so that hub can recognized it

My Questions and Queries:

1. After the step 2 I mentioned, the Hub will detect the firmware, and when I click the update firmware, the Hub will reboot. What should I do next?

2. Rememeber, I only got these files inside my USB:

• md5sum.txt
  • wdtvlivehub.bin
  • wdtvlivehub.fff
  • wdtvlivehub.ver

What should I do with the other files?

3. What should I do with this zip file, RV_2.07.17_G.tgz? Should I unzip this as well? If YES, after unzipping this, what should I do?

4. When I unzip RV_2.07.17_G.tgz, I got this folder, RV_2.07.17_G. Inside this folder, I got these files:

• build – a folder
  • config – a folder
  • scripts – a folder
  • src – a folder
  • .config
  • cscope.sh
  • CURRENT_SET
  • Kconfig
  • makefile
  • Target.h
  • Target.mk
  • Target.options

As I noted, these files are INSIDE RV_2.07.17_G folder. Should I also place this inside the Root of the USB?

1. Please provide detail instruction on what to do with these files. Please provide a detail and complete instruction on how to manually update the Hub. I already read the WD official website instructions on how to update FW manually, please do not recommend this as a resolution as it does not discuss clearly on what to do with the other files. I already had read forums on this topic, but I still get lost on what to do after my Hub detects the “NEW FIRMWARE”.

I am hoping to receive replies on this queries, and I do apologize for this request and lengthy questions. I am just new in using Hub, and I would appreciate a detailed instruction on this for NOOBS like me. :wink:

Thanks in Advance, guys.

ramx2 wrote:

Personally, I’d rather prefer Twitter instead of Facebook!

i’d prefer neither and a hub that can update and play files properly with no problems after a firmware update.

this is one of the many reasons, i don’t the hub until after many others have updated and reported bugs.  if they update is fine after a few days on the forum, then i update.

FB, TWITTER…who needs them.

Hi All:

Also, please provide a detail file structure iinside the USB for Hub manual Firmware upgrade.

Thanks.

Adrian, all of that info is in the instructions…

Hi Tony, Hi All,

When I update the WD Hub FW manually, I can make the Firmware Update visible. But after the reboot, I got this error:

The firmware your attempting to install is not complete. Please check http://support.wdc.com for the correct firmware.

I got my firmware in WD official site, this is for sure. These are the 3 files which I placed inside the USB Root:

1. wdtvlivehub.bin

2. wdtvlivehub.fff

3. wdtvlivehub.ver – Revised using notepad

Any ideas how I can resolve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Since the update my music also stops when the screensaver kicks-in.  Please fix.

Great update! Keep up the work!