New Release - Firmware Version 2.01.06 for My Book Live (8/2/11)

Buy another My Book Live :slight_smile:

Has anyone solved the mystery of error 5657?Ā Like others on this forum have noted, Ā I can access files on my new MBL drive, but I cannot register the drive or install the new firmware without getting this annoying error.Ā  WD techs have been unable to solve this problem.Ā  Iā€™ve even connected MBL directly to my PC and the manual firmware upgrade fails because of error 5657.Ā  I exchanged the drive for a new one at CompUSAā€¦and the problem persists.

This has something to do with your network connectivity. Possibly your DNS settings in your router, but something is blocking the My Book Live from communicating to the outside world. You might want to set a Static IP for your My Book Live. You can also use the Google DNS servers ( http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/ )

Why would I received the same error 5657 when the MBL is connected directly to the PC to perform a manual update?Ā 

"Why would I received the same error 5657 when the MBL is connected directly to the PC to perform a manual update? "

Interesting.

Couple things:

What version of firmware is the box on? What version did you download? Have you tried downloading the firmware again? It is possible that it was a corrupted file. Delete the file and re-download it from our web site.

What Model do you have? (drive capacity)

We may want to see your log files. Please PM me.

Now that does not make for good customer relations. :wink:

WDTony wrote:

Buy another My Book Live :slight_smile:

Is anyone experiencing an issue with the current firmware where clicking on the ā€œSettingsā€ option dumps you back to the Dashboard sign-on page or just gets stuck shows the following?Ā  Seems to happen when a safepoint backup is in progress.

Iā€™ve reported this to tech support. Just curious if anyone else has encountered this small annoyance.

13/8/2011 update: It threw me out to the login screen when I clicked on Shares.

I have downloaded and installed the new firware version 2.01.06 but I still get the message from Lion Cannot connect to the server.

Lion can see the drive and access files but will not backup to it using Time Machine.

Please suggest what else I can try

MyBook Live 2TB

Version:MyBookLive 01.01.03 : MioNet 4.3.0.8

Last Update:Thu 07 Oct 2010 04:36:10 PM CDT

Iā€™ve read other threads on this subject and have not found a solution.Ā  Iā€™ve tried several different firmware downloads (including 2.0 -20110801).Ā  All of them get the same 5657 error.Ā  I canā€™t even register the device.Ā  I have about seven devices around the house connected to the Internet through my LinksysE3000 router.Ā  All of them work flawlesslyā€¦except this one.

Western Digital makes good products (and customer service is very responsive), but this NAS drive, it seems,Ā Ā is not ready for mass production.Ā  Iā€™m taking it back for a refund.

you might need to go to 1.05.07 first. my 5657 went awat after two days and an unplugging

Thanks.Ā  I did try 1.05.07 and others.Ā  No luck.Ā I was stuck with the original shipping firmwareā€¦which didnā€™t work for me.Ā  Tech support first said it was something with my Linksys E3000 router blocking the driveā€™s access to the Internet. Ā (Linksys is a common router, of course, so what could be blocking MBL?Ā Ā Why canā€™t WD anticipate this and make a device that works out-of-the-box?).Ā Ā 

But I donā€™t think the router was the problem.Ā  Even after connecting the drive directly to my Dell Windows 7 Professional PC, error 5657 stopped any attempt to upgrade firmware.Ā  (Antivirus ESET NOD32 was disabled and the Windows firewall turned off ā€“ and MBL still failed to upgrade).Ā  A replacement drive also failed because of error 5657.

I returned my MBL drive (again)Ā to CompUSA and got my money back.Ā  Iā€™m anxious to get a NAS system up and running on my Network, but I think Iā€™ll wait until WD techs work out the obvious kinks.

I do recall that there was a Firmware update to fix the firmware not updating.Ā  If that makes sense.

Good news but when I download this firmware a whole lot script remains on a webpage and once saved it .web and it will not transfer into upload

I have just applied these firmware updates so that I can use the iPad apps, and I am getting an error 35105.

I am in fact connected to the internet, no problems except enabling mobile access.

Note: I was remote controlling my pc with LogMeIn ignition from my iPad downstairs, and I see from a couple posts remote access to the UI is disabled, so maybe something there?

HELP!

How can I enable remote access and then use the iPad apps?

Well, Iā€™m blond. :slight_smile:

I wrote a reply to an article on here called ā€œMusic,Video @Work (Twonky Port 9000)ļ»æā€.  

This should point to it:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Music-Video-Work-Twonky-Port-9000/m-p/218502#M2676

M.ļ»æ> * * *
Myron wrote:

Excuse my blondness even though I ainā€™t blondā€¦  Where are your instuctions on proxying with with PuTTY?  I thought I took a off-line copy but I didnā€™t.  Oh welā€¦   Got a link?  :stuck_out_tongue:

mstargard wrote:> If you donā€™t want to risk fiddling with the MBL, you can still get to it remotely by either tunneling into your network using SSH port forwarding and SOCKS or via some sort of reverse proxy server.  I recently wrote a tutorial on here about how to do the SSH port forwarding thing with SOCKS.

I had a similar issue.Ā  Found that I had to disable the MioNet access and unregister the MyBook Live from MioNet.Ā  Once that was done, it upgraded without a problem.

Note:Ā  It would have been a lot easier if there were instructions to disable and unregister the Mionet in the upgrade instructions.

Need to update the instructions ot tell people to disable Mionet and unregister the drive before trying the firmware upgrade to 2.x.Ā  I struggled with it until I diabled the Minoet access.

Hold on - That should not be any pre-requisite for upgrading. There may have been something specific in your situation, but the upgrade DOES NOT require you to disable remote access (Mionet).

I have the following the problem .After updating my My BOok Live (3TB) with firmware 02.01.06-026ļ»æ the backup with Time Ā Machine with my two apple computers (both with Lion) works fine. However, after a few days I got on both machines the message: Ā 

"Time Machine completedĀ a verification ofĀ your backups. ToĀ improveĀ reliability,Ā Time MachineĀ must create aĀ _new backup_ļ»æ"

Ok, it was necesary to repeat the whole time machine backup what needs a long time.

Now, two days later the same message appears.

Is this normal? That would mean that the My Book Live is not useable for Time Machine backups

What is reason for this behaviour, can this be abug in the new firmware ?

re: your Time Machine Backup on Lion, we have not seen this in any of our testing. Has your IP address of your My Book Live changed? Can you try setting it to a static IP address (and gateway and DNS).

Are you also connecting more than one Mac to the NAS and running Time Machine on both?