New Release - Firmware Version 1.13.18 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (1/24/13)

Wow, what a way to ruin my WDTV.

My Windows network share no longer shows up.  I can access this same network share from my AppleTV and all my computers but for some reason it stopped working on the WDTV.  It’s not even recognized as it does not even show up on the list when you go to add a Windows Share.

Rolled back 2 versions to 1.12.14 and 1.11.14 and still the same issue where it won’t even show up anymore.  Everything worked fine before this firmware update.

Phone tech support is useless as they don’t even know what’s going on or what to do for troubleshooting.

I’ve reset to factory defaults multiple times, pressed reset button on back of unit and everything else I can think of.

Please help me get my Windows share back!

@Vipul128

One way to debug this issue:

1. Make sure Windows share PC can see WDTV by executing this command in CMD “net view”. If Windows see WDTV on the same network, WDTV should be able to access Windows share.

2.Check which device on the network is Master browser by using this utility called LAN scan http://scottiestech.info/downloads/. You can run this tool on any Windows client on the network. Samba often has issue of client devices can’t see shares on Windows/Samba share. This tool allows to detect which machine on the network acts as Master Browser (holding the list of network devices on the same subnet).

1. Once you determine the Master browser machine, go ahead and reboot that machine. and then power on WDTV to see if WDTV can find Windows Share. Note: Some routers can be master browser as well if they have Samba implemented so it may help by rebooting the router.

Techflaws wrote:

Enrico.Boccuni wrote:
I ask to western digital to fix first and then improve the fast forward function, because it was useless skip 10 sec to 1 min max for time…

Have you tried the 10 minute skip mentioned in the manual?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------> The skip 10 minute fast forward in youtube application and youtube videos application, doesn’t work and i think it wasn’t implemented yet… In both those application, if you press fastforward then next,obviusly skip to the next video on playlist or related videos.

It will be great the 10 minute skip and or the choosing of hh:mm:ss will be implemented in youtube videos by wd application.

In the last firm and with this firmware I have had the issue where if I pause a video and use the skip to desired time function it just hangs with the looping arrow forever. When I rollback to the 1.11.14 the feature looks fine. I had many other issues with the last update but this one was the most annoying and the one I tried first. When I noticed it was not fixed I immediately rolled back. Not sure if anyone else has this issue or not.

If WD is happy to keep doing this then…

I am happy to announce I’m dropping my WD units (6) down a very deep hole in the ground.

Is it wrong of me to think that a function built into a machine to update itself should do just that?

Is it wrong of me to think I shouldn’t have to search the web for a forum to look for help to keep something working I paid good money for and to fix something it did by itself?

Is it wrong to be offended by the fact (pointed out on numerous occasion on here) I was part of a large group of "stupid people for not doing a hard reboot, deleting certain files, only using the thing on odd numbered days of the month, not reading every page of the forum to pick out the little nuggets of relevant help…)

As the saying goes

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Problems with any x264/MP4 content.

Everything worked on previous firmware.

Does not play from UPNP server (PS3MediaServer on Ubuntu) at all. 

Exact same files play fine via Windows File Sharing from same server.

This is probably why not everyone is affected.

1 Like

spearfish wrote:

I won’t say it’s wrong but I’m not sure being offended and taking bugs personal is going to get you anywhere. It’s also not very productive to assume WD is doing this on purpose. As I’ve wrote repeatedly in this thread, the 1.13.18 has caused no problems for me so far, in fact some issues were even fixed.

Hi guys,

I thought I would contribute to this in a more positive way given my experiences so far.

Yesterday I decided to give 1.13.18 another go, but this time with less frustration.

Conclusion for me:

Firmware 1.13.18 is sound, however, it is finicky in terms of what it interacts with.

Since first posting here, rolling back and now upgrading again, I have now learnt that the problem was not the upgrade per say, but the interaction between my WD TV Live and what has been in the last few years my DLNA server, MediaTomb.

In short, the streamer doesn’t like MediaTomb (or perhaps the way I had it configured), as soon as I switched to miniDLNA (which is a far simpler server, with very limited capabilities) everything started worked flawlessly.

Another note,

Samba shares do not seem to be affected. I will expand, whenI originally upgraded I was only using the DLNA Server/Media Server exclusively I deduced (wrongly) that the problem was with the streamer and not from the DLNA service (Mediatomb) given I’d used it for years without any problems.

As soon as I switched from Media Server to Network Share everything started working fine, which consequently led me to change DLNA servers.

In conclusion,

I am now once again happy with the streamer and if anything else this exercise has enlightened me to the short comings of my own network/servers.

I now have less overheat in terms of processing with miniDLNA and things seem to be working a LOT quicker. I believe this is due to the fact that throughtout the years I had mediatomb transcoding certain particular types of files.

I hope this helps anyone who went through what I did.

Ref.:

Server:

Ubuntu 12.10

miniDLNA

J

Hi All. Im a newbie to this forum, but as i have only just last weekend upgraded my old WD Mk1 HDTV box to the new WD Live SMP I can at least say that As soon as I connected my new box it updated to the new firmware 1.13.18, So as a clean instal was done I can at least say it works fine. I have 2 USB hard drives attached, One is a samsung portable and the other an old WD I use Windows 7 Sp1 as a network share I have WiFi but I use Ethernet as its faster. The WD Live shows up on my PC and The WD Live shows my shared folders, So far it has played all of my Mkvs Mp4s AVIs VOBs. I have some files in Video_TS folders and these play fine. I have no files with menus as I use Convert X to DVD to just convert the films I want from a DVD rip done using Fab Decrypter. I have not yet tried a full DVD rip. Apart from the standard missing thumbnails on some random files, (which seems to be the norm no matter what firmware is used) Everything seems to do as it should. Ive made the school boy error of mains disconnecting and ending up with multiple same files before I read about the holding down off button for a few seconds, I have surround through an external amp and stereo through the TV. I see that it is advised that any firmware update is done after a reset of the device, and as this is a new “Virgin” device perhaps this shows that to be true. If there is a test I can do for anyone using a shiny new WD Live Im happy to help if I can. As a footnote perhaps eventually the thumbnail issue will get solved as this seems very random showing and then not showing or changing !!!

Unable to switch the composite display into PAL mode, via menu or pressing reset button for 10 secs. I’ve done the usual factory resets.

Just received my new Raspberry Pi and had XBMC up and running in under an hour.  Total cost?  About $40.  User experience, AMAZING.  Everything just works!  I can view my dvr-ms in HD, load a multitude of plug-ins for streaming access to hundreds of websites, view weather, view RSS Feeds, etc.

I am very upset I had to spend about $100 a box with WD for an absolute mess that is locked down to just basic video and streaming services.  I guess my expectations were too high for WD.  Its still amazing to me that opensource hardware (Raspberry Pi) and open source MEdia center (XBMC) absolutely blows this commercial product out of the water.

Just thought I’d share my experiences with the WD box vs. an opensource product.  Its a shame that WD cannot release a decent firmware update.  If this last one would have fixed my issues and been more stable, WD would still have a customer.

Beveled wrote:

Unable to switch the composite display into PAL mode, via menu or pressing reset button for 10 secs. I’ve done the usual factory resets.

I assume that you are connected via composite to your TV and you have a PAL TV. Whats the picture look like. What happens when you select PAL in the menu. Do you have anything else connected to the player.

Are you saying that this only happened after you updated to this firmware.

squidwardbob wrote:

Just received my new Raspberry Pi and had XBMC up and running in under an hour.  Total cost?  About $40.  User experience, AMAZING.  Everything just works! 

Really?  So these warnings on the Pi Wiki:

aren’t true?

Meaning, it says that it ONLY supports H.264 video and no DTS decoding.

Techflaws wrote:

spearfish wrote:

I won’t say it’s wrong but I’m not sure being offended and taking bugs personal is going to get you anywhere. It’s also not very productive to assume WD is doing this on purpose. As I’ve wrote repeatedly in this thread, the 1.13.18 has caused no problems for me so far, in fact some issues were even fixed.

I don’t think is personal WD, has done this many times to anyone who made the mistake of updating WD products.

If an item was purchased by a consumer because of an advertised function then after the contract was formed  that function was deleted or changed  and by no fault of the purchaser then I think the customer can feel aggrieved that WD has basically stolen the consumers money and situation is worthy of investigating relevant consumer guarantee laws.

Apart from the fact any of this is here at all…

I, as anyone else here does, appreciate the time you have put into the help you have provided Techflaws.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

squidwardbob wrote:

Just received my new Raspberry Pi and had XBMC up and running in under an hour.  Total cost?  About $40.  User experience, AMAZING.  Everything just works! 

Really?  So these warnings on the Pi Wiki:

aren’t true?

Meaning, it says that it ONLY supports H.264 video and no DTS decoding.

In my situation, I am streaming .wtv TV Show files recorded from my Win7 MC PC to the Pi.  Works just fine!  I have no idea about the items you listed.  

Try my situation on the WD box…  I first had to convert the files to dvr-ms, then try firmware after firmware version until I found one where they played half-correctly.  That version was 1.11.14 I think and that version is missing the jump to time feature which seems to have been dropped on that version.  FFwd is a **bleep** shoot, often overshooting what is displayed on-screen.  What a hassle.

Again, RaspPi was less than an hour to configure and eveyrthing just seems to work.

Not bragging here, but rather trying to get the message to WD that they are messing up big time with their firmware updates and likely loosing customers that will never return.

spearfish wrote:

If an item was purchased by a consumer because of an advertised function then after the contract was formed  that function was deleted or changed  and by no fault of the purchaser then I think the customer can feel aggrieved that WD has basically stolen the consumers money and situation is worthy of investigating relevant consumer guarantee laws.

Right, but how often has that happened? Off the top of my head I can’t remember any advertised function being “stolen” by one of the firmware updates and I’m sure WD is pretty bummed about these bugs too. As it turns out, several issues really seem to be due to incompatibilities. So without having all those hardware available to test, these bugs are pretty hard to reproduce let alone hunt down.

Beveled wrote:

I’m watching on a PAL CRT just fine. Even after watching over HDMI with another TV, the SMP automatically falls back when connected via Composite.

squidwardbob wrote:

In my situation, I am streaming .wtv TV Show files recorded from my Win7 MC PC to the Pi.  […] Try my situation on the WD box…  I first had to convert the files to dvr-ms, then try firmware after firmware version until I found one where they played half-correctly.

.wtv files? What are those? Is the SMP advertized as being able to play those?

XBMC rules, no doubt about that. Howerver, apart from the fact that you need to buy extra stuff for the Raspberry (enclosure, power adapter, remote control, SD card) its DTS problems render it useless for me cause I rip all my Blu-rays without transcoding anything.

Hello. Just updated to the newest firmware and found that two main things (because of which I already made a rollback to an older firmware six months ago) are still not working:

1. Sound playback issue (mute, saying “unknown format”) of several vob files with a usual Dolby Digital sound.

2. Still completely messed up sound playback when using cue sheets and a long wav which was working before with older firmware versions and which is VERY annoying to me as most of my albums have cue sheets.

I really don’t know why features which were working flawlessly with older firmware are getting messed up with the release of newer versions. And especially such simple things like reading a cue sheet which is basically just a text file. I will do another rollback to the last working version and I will definitely keep off from upgrading for a while now.

Hi , I too had issues with MP4 files not playing longer than 18.18 mins & system crashing etc after the V.1.13.18 installed.

I did manage to revert back to 1.12.14 (eventually) but still had similar issues . Which was puzzling as it all worked fine before . It was also puzzling how some people had no issues at all running with the new release . 

My son has (I hope) found the cure . Our problem was linked to the Media Server software running on our HP server . The original software was PS3 media server but now he has changed this to the latest Universal Media Server v 2.3.0   (a DLNA compliant uPnP media server which does specifically list support for WD TV live streamer) and the problems have all gone !!!

After updating our server and re-starting the WD TV live box it immediatly found the server as Media and updated the library . 

I am still testing but so far no issues . I’m quite confident that I could update the firmware up to 1.13.18 again without any problems , but will hang on for the time being as everything is working OK !!

I can only surmise that those who never had the issues in the first place after the firmware upgrade were already running this version of the server software .

Just serch for Universal Media Server in Google - there are several links to the free software upgrade .

Hope this may help some of you out there .

Techflaws wrote:

spearfish wrote:

Right, but how often has that happened? Off the top of my head I can’t remember any advertised function being “stolen” by one of the firmware updates and I’m sure WD is pretty bummed about these bugs too. As it turns out, several issues really seem to be due to incompatibilities. So without having all those hardware available to test, these bugs are pretty hard to reproduce let alone hunt down.

Perhaps stolen is to strong a word perhaps I should have said,> pushing the same button to do the same thing I did before the update and while using the same hardware and files on that hardware it no longer does that thing without hunting down the solution to “my problem” on the web.> 2 of the units I had were with people without  the technical ability to understand how to fix what was working just a few mins ago.> 3 are with people who nearly threw out the box last time, mine is in a draw in a desk replaced with an old pc running media software, clunky but it works.

Hello to everyone, i have discovered a new issue with this firmware.

I have the wdtvlive connected througth HDMi to my Yamaha AV receiver,with this version if i shutdown and then start my AV receiver the image signal was OK, but with this new version when i turn it on the signal gets lost and i have to do a cold restart of wdtvlive to get image again.

At the previous version (1.07.xxx) i was able to shutdown my amplifier and then power it on without loosing the image signal.

Please fix it.

Regards,