New Release - Firmware Version 1.10.13 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (7/26/12)

The user formerly know as Syngensmyth

Thanks for the roll back link. I have had to change my name three times now for re-registering  to make three posts.

I was going to try the component cable but someone threw the box - if it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all. I have emailed WD in hopes of ordering a new component cable. (Found a faq here that says other vendor component cables can be used. The colors are not standard being only difference. That sounds strange but worth trying.)

I’ve tried both stereo and digital settings and both have problems. The same sound issues exist on internet streaming and local network streaming. 

OK, I’m reverting to 1.09.10

Netflix episode with problems previously made it all the way with no sound problem after roll back. (digital pass through HDMI) Video quality set to highest on Netflix and no QOS set and no tweaking done on dsl router.

Then I tried another previous problem series and still had problems so changed audio to “stereo” and problems stopped.

Conclusion to this point: firmware v1.09.10 with audio on stereo works for this crappy Vizio I’m using. Like I said, Roku was hopeless.

I never did a hard reset with v1.10.13 which could have worked, who knows.

Edit:

Dang, still having some sound issues. My component ideas was no good. I thought I could do HDMI video but component audio but that is not an option that I can find. It’s all or nothing. I’m starting to think it was not the firmware update that caused the problem.

The movies will start to play  3 seconds after they are  paused. I use different programs to produce the ISO DVD files and none of these ISO files stay paused. Any DVD, DVD Fab, DVD Shrink, it makes no difference. The strange thing is that this does not happen with TS (mpeg 4), or Blu-Ray ISO files just standard DVD ISO files. I would love to role back to the next earlier firmware. I did not know that this was possible. I don’t want to damage the player so is there a way to role back to earlier firmware? I am hard wired via networked cable.

I have the same problem!! and I can’t get it fix.

I tried to upgrade to 1.10.13 somthing like 20 times, and when the progress bar gets to 94% it goes down to 0%

and tells me there is a problem with the WIFI.

OK… So I connected it with a cable directly to the modem , and it does the same thing… when it gets to 94% there is an ERROR!!!#@$

I am sure there is some bugs in this upgrade… this behavior is very strange.

please advise me.

thx

Eran

Try to update via USB drive

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5749/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzQ0MTk4OTMxL3NpZC9OZ1A1cVkybA%3D%3D

I had the same problem as you did with the pause feature not working for my ISO DVD files or VOB files as well. I corrected the problem by rolling back to the last firmware which is 1.09.10 and now the pause feature works the way it suppose to on all files. Use the following link and follow the instructions exactly to role back to the last firmware.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/p/208,393/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NDA3Nzc4Ny9zaWQvQmxTVCpRMmw%3D

Oh cool, another bug

anyone else have this problem…

when Im watching a video about 30 minutes in, i get taken back to the menu, but the movie keeps playing in the menu background. Also if I power off the unit, I can still hear the video playing for a good 5 minutes after the power light shuts off

WHAT A JOKE!!!\

p.s. why does this thing get so hot when it isnt even in use for days??

zipzaprap wrote:

p.s. why does this thing get so hot when it isnt even in use for days??

Press and hold “Power” button for 5 seconds and then the thing will be cool.

Thing is, I SHULD NOT HAVE TO UPDATE THAT WAY. That is not the way this device was made to update, else you would not have to update via wifi at all.

Still unable to update by the way…

zachmatejcek wrote:

Thing is, I SHULD NOT HAVE TO UPDATE THAT WAY. That is not the way this device was made to update, else you would not have to update via wifi at all.

Still unable to update by the way…

There are two ways to update via a direct internet connection or via a connected drive, so your statement above is incorrect. Are you now saying that you cannot update via a connected drive or that you just don’t want too because you don’t believe that you should.

I Installed 1.10.13 and I rolled back to 1.09. I connect to the wd tv by using a 3TB My book usb3.0 drive. Once I installed 1.10.13 My drive would be ejected in the middle of a program or even just trying to start one. I would say all the files played have been .mkv 720p or 1080p. I would get a message telling me not to remove the drive without ejecting it first. I would attempt to plug it back in even after a restart but the drive would not be picked up again. I would have to go to my PC and run a scan first. This does not happen with my old mybook 1tb drive. After a couple of days back with 1.09 firmware I have had no problems with the drive and everything is working smooth again. I don’t really use any of the other features up here in Canada  so I can’t comment. I updated using wifi connection and it worked fine. My only complaint so far was this issue. Hopefully it will be resolved. Thanks

Meanwhile the owner of WD is off on his yacht unaware of how fast they are losing customers 

I’ve decided that everytime I sit down to watch a movie after a long day, and the WD player crashes in the middle of the movie,  I will come here and take a cheap shot at this shameless company.

See you soon dont work to hard

Hi, Mozilfox, can you confirm that you can play Blu-Ray ISO files? I just bought a new WDTV Live SMP, updated firmware to 1.10.13 and it can’t play BD ISO files. I’m thinking that if you can play BD ISO, then I must be doing something wrong.

My previous gen WDTV Live played BD ISOs well.

zipzaprap wrote:
I’ve decided that everytime I sit down to watch a movie after a long day, and the WD player crashes in the middle of the movie,  I will come here and take a cheap shot at this shameless company.

Which defnitely will impress the **bleep** out of WD!

zipzaprap wrote:

Meanwhile the owner of WD is off on his yacht unaware of how fast they are losing customers 

See you soon dont work to hard

Thanks for warning us, it makes it much easier to ignore your comments in the future.

I do not see too many positive post here,

personally, I am happy with the player, I have a server in the basement and rip everything to it so I do not have to look for a DVD, I had problem reading MKV before but not anymore and I never had the unit failed while watching a movie.

I do have problem occasionaly when playing with the thing. but nothing major.

Does the FW 1.10.13 play BD ISO? I had the Gen2 WDTV Live and BD ISO played fine on it. Can’t seem to get my new WDTV Live SMP to do the same, though. BTW, I updated FW to 1.10.13 and still can’t play BD ISO. Is there some setting I should be changing?

Appreciate any help I can get here.

I am facing serious issues with the new FW update (1.10)! There is a lot of stutter and lag and also some of the files do not play either! My suggestion: roll back!

How did you do this?  I see no option for it and he instructions on the website  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3   seem to refer to a previous interface.

Appr3ntic3 wrote:

I seem to be having the same problem with it erroring out on the firmware download at 94% I tried putting the firmware on my USB HDD but I don’t see an option to make it update locally, just via the internet. Has anybody else figured this out?

Also when attempting the download via the internet and I select “What’s in this update” it shows a blank screen, tries to load the release notes and reboots.

After trying for a while it finally went through, I guess they had too much load on their update server.

It definitely was a server issue.  It’s since been resolved.

HI,

This is the first time on here just registered I had no prob. registering except for my issues not reading the instructions…  :slight_smile:

First of all I would like to say we have the WD regl. streaming player just  pur. in Feb. and have had no major issues in general although we expect some issues with any technology so it does not surprise us when there are some minor issues…  :) 

Nothing can ever work just perfectly and if we think that we are living in a dream world…  I don’t believe for a minute that any of the other brands work any better and have no problems with the newer tech. stuff that is happening on a daily basi.  There are constant tech. changes happening and I can only imagine how hard it must be to keep up with it all and try and keep everyone happy every day…

With the new upgrade though we have had more probs. with streaming shows and movies, it appears when we start to load a particular show like recent ex. Monk, or The Booth at the End sometimes both will start to load and then just keep spinning forever on HULU Plus.  Monk will start and then begin to freeze or go to commercial and when it says your show will restart in 29 seconds for ex. we will be sitting there with a black screen(sometimes don’t see the commercial)sometimes just hear the audio of commercial or not  at all…  Sometimes it will never go back to the show so we eventually hit the back button or leave HULU altogether and try to go back in with same prob. happening… Sometimes it does go back and then freezes again last night we got back in but because we left Hulu it “forgot” where we left off about 15 minutes into show and we had to watch from beginning all over again…   The Booth at the end show we got to see the first two episodes about a week ago and have never been able to get back in and watch any other episodes because it will just say it is loading and stay that way we will sometimes give it 3-5 minutes and then again go out and try to go back in etc.  We also unplug for a minute etc…

We have also had issues with Netflix since the upgrade of firmware a few weeks ago and we are finding that it takes a lot longer to get into Netflix then it did before and when we start movies they will start to play and sometimes they will either just freeze or stop playing and then again like HuLu we will leave Netflix go back in try again etc. sometimes we have had to give up temporarily on a movie…  Last night Netflix said it had prob. with a particular movie loading or something after we started watching it so had to give up on that…  I called netflix sometime ago and they recommended we have the settings set for the lowest bandwidth I think because it generally loads better but that is definitely not helping rigt now bt we have a concern that if we did switch to better settings that it would use a lot more data and we would see our cable bill go up substantially…We also wonder too about our cable co. that maybe they are reducing our bandwidth and that has an effect as well but again seems strange that most of the prob. began after the firmware upgrade…

I don’t actually know if these are the WD problems with Firmware or specifically HULU and Netflix but both started right after the new Firmware update…  Previously we had occasional issues but not like now…

I would like to see WD put out a new firmware upgrade soon to address these potential probs. because too many ppl. are having similar problems…