New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

After upgrade there is very important bug on my side,

I always use network shares on my home. WD and shared Hdd on same network connected via ethernet cable. It was perfect until i update to this firmware(1080p mkv movies playedback without any problem with older firmware). WD responses very slow anymore. when i press stop it stops in 2 seconds. When i press FF it starts to fast forward after 2 seconds. Subtitle timing is not proper. When i connect it directly to wd subtitles are ok. but in networkshares subtitles late and very quickly disappears. it seems network share function very buggy anymore…

Please check and fix it asap. i thrust you guys.

the Dutch interface not found
the choice of subtitle option is not displayed

No issues (as usual) with the new FW. I saw a Movie last night and It gave me Stereo sound from my Marantz. Strange …blu-ray usually has a more than 2ch. Until I found the… may I say stupid audio-setup? Yeah it detected all my codec’s on the Marantz but still… wasent’n Audio one of the things that actually worked fine? Also It will not always detect DTS. Sometimes I have center and back left speaker, sometimes I have front right and subwoofer… after a few restarts of the movie it pop’s fine.

Anyhow, dispite this. My WD HD TV works perfect (mostly just play .MKV)

Bug: While pressing any movietitle and it ask for “restart or continue” you cant press the back-button. You have to choose Resume and then back. (If you prefer to resume this clip…).

Now with new FW no play this file http://us.download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/nzm_PureVideo_SDvsHD.wmv (Unsupported format)

before play video without audio at least.

v_i_t_a_l wrote:

Now with new FW no play this file http://us.download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/nzm_PureVideo_SDvsHD.wmv (Unsupported format)

before play video without audio at least.

The reason it didn’t play properly before, and won’t play at all now, is just as it says… it’s unsupported.

The manual says the chip is only capable of decoding VC-1 MP @ HL in 1920x1080 up to 1080p24.  1080p30 decoding isn’t supported by the chip.

It isn’t a “bug” for the new firmware to report that an unsupported file is, in fact, unsupported.

The fact that the video exceeds the device’s decoding capabilities is undoubtedly why the audio didn’t work under previous firmwares, since other WMA Pro audio seems to play ok when the video is within bounds.

I’m now getting UNSUPPORTED FORMAT

for certain MP4 files

Here are the codec details of the files that are now not playing.

Stream 0
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Resolution: 480x360
Frame Rate: 30

Stream 1
Audio: MPEG AAC (mp4a)

I hope this can be addressed soon as I have a lot of files in this format.

(These were saved from YouTube, so there is a chance they changed something on their end, but

they do all play fine in VLC and Windows Media Player, so I would think they should also play on the WDLive.

spoonman wrote:

I’m now getting UNSUPPORTED FORMAT

for certain MP4 files

Here are the codec details of the files that are now not playing.

Stream 0
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Resolution: 480x360
Frame Rate: 30

Stream 1
Audio: MPEG AAC (mp4a)

I hope this can be addressed soon as I have a lot of files in this format.

(These were saved from YouTube, so there is a chance they changed something on their end, but

they do all play fine in VLC and Windows Media Player, so I would think they should also play on the WDLive.

Its totally irrelevant that they play fine on software players. Did these files play before the update?

Yes they played before and not irrelevant because it proves that the videos are not corrupted in any way.

spoonman wrote:

Yes they played before and not irrelevant because it proves that the videos are not corrupted in any way.

You should read more about VLC before you make those statements.

Quote:

Because VLC is a  packet-based media player, it can play the video content of some damaged, incomplete or unfinished videos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

richUK wrote:

spoonman wrote:

You should read more about VLC before you make those statements.

Quote:

Because VLC is a  packet-based media player, it can play the video content of some damaged, incomplete or unfinished videos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

OK… Ignore where it says VLC… It works on 5 other players, but NOT on the WD LIve AND it worked last month.

If you are going to defend Wester Digital at least make some effort to help others who support them and buy their products… I.E.: Me…

i had the slow button problem ,i rolled back to the 1.05 version then upgraded again  to the1.06 version and the buttons problem was fixed. I would try resetting the unit before doing all that  though

_I was  able to watch my AVCHD videos (.mts files) from my canon hd video camera, gapless. This update has destroyed this capability.  This was the reason that I bought this  box. I have restored the previous firmware and everything is ok again. I hope WD will restore this ability in the next update. Thanks.

New update frizzes all the time, takes about 20 minutes (not exaggerating) to load my external hard drive  every time I turn the box on…just horrible

Feras wrote:

Hi

I installed the latest version successfully (1.06.15)  but I observed an issue with external HDD detection, it takes a long time to be detected

My HDD size is 80 GB

I never faced this issue with the previous firmware versions

I completely agree. I got so irritated with it I rolled back to 1.04.22 on Saturday. Both 1.05 version had issues.

(Purple menus and then offset option menus).

Come on WD… Deal with this and the auto framerate bug ASAP.

Hopefully we don’t have to wait 2-3 months for a fix !!

joels
Thanx, the 1.04.22 is the best downgrade have done !
Run on USB drive much faster than before.

" Weird thing though you can play a file in File Manager if you press Enter. What about the rest of the formats playable from there ? "        It doesn’t work for me

This is really unbelieveable … A major Feature of this Media Player isn’t working properly now: AUTOFRAMERATE !!! 

:angry: 

At least in my configuration it worked well with 1.5.04 and it is now broken (like for many others) … 

Though it seems the Autoframerate feature is not fully broken - it at least recognizes 50Hz ISO Files from my TV-Recordings, but it misses to correctly switch to 24p for files that have that framerate … 

I really do not know how WD is doing their final testing … This is really a pain in the **bleep** - I really think, they have no idea, what they are doing !! 

EDIT: at least the fixed the digital-pass-through bug → now I can really hear all channels - and not only the left and right channel of a 5.1 mix … 

Also tested Auto-frame-rate-bug a little more. It seems, it’s only working with ISO DVD files (SD Recordings from SAT like TV-Shows) … there it works perfectly → all other files i.e. '*.TS files (HD Movies recorded from SAT receiver that have 50Hz) and also *.M2TS files (from HD camcorder who have 24hz) are converted to 60 Hz and not correctly played ! 

This is a MUST QUICK FIX !!! WD GUYS DO SOMETHING !!!

It’s quite strange anyhow, that the WD guys only respond to minor bugs in this forum, where they have answers already - the big bugs are ignored by them !!! SHAME ON YOU ! WE PAID MONEY FOR THAT CRAPPY BETA-TESTING YOU PUT ON US !!!  

le6emeelement wrote:

joels
Thanx, the 1.04.22 is the best downgrade have done !
Run on USB drive much faster than before.

" Weird thing though you can play a file in File Manager if you press Enter. What about the rest of the formats playable from there ? "        It doesn’t work for me

Great to hear !

1.04.22 (in my opinion)  is the best version since 1.02.10.

Unfortunately pressing enter in file manager only worked in 1.06.15 for SWF files.

I hope they eventually allow us to play all files from there.

Will be very useful when you are cleaning up a USB drive :slight_smile:

I think this sure is a great version.

• MP4 with AAC plays with audio

• games available

• digital pass through available for both HDMI and optical

One issue i did notice (and i am trying to validate if it’s only for mp4’s) is that when playing a movie, it stalls and goes into a frame by frame mode loosing audio. Will add more info once i validate it across multiple formats.

Cheers

i conferm 3 problem:

1> Bad “play position” after fast forward
2> In the optical out, files with 96 kHz and 192 kHz are downsampled to 48 kHz (tested with Onkyo TX-SR608)

3> TVersity 1.9.7 compatibility problem, temporany corrected with hack in the my previous post (Link to the post)

Upgraded some days ago. So far so good, both the screen format and option bar text position bugs have been reverted. Since I have a CRT TV I’m not in need of the famous auto-framerate option, but I hope you fix it soon…