New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

Any date for an firmware update ?
so I can use my external HDD

Of course there is. November, as usual!

Auto Frame-Rate:

Really bad that this is not working any more at all. However, with the older firmware it only worked 4 out of 5 times anyway. Some movies still had the every 40s judder even if it was set to auto.

What I also noticed: When I set video to 24hz/1080p for example it sometimes just sets itself back to a random setting. I have to go back and set it to 24hz/1080p again. Verry annoying. :frowning:

HD Sound Support:

Am I just getting something wrong or did they just add Dolby TrueHD? That wasn’t supported before, right? Or was it DTS HD which wasn’t supported? I need to get a new AVR to test these things :slight_smile:

RoofingGuy wrote:

Well, there’s your problem.

And, since S/PDIF only officially supports 32kHz, 44.1 kHz and 48kHz from what I can see of the original specs (despite current chips offering up to 192kHz), I’d doubt any non-audiophile equipment will work with sample rates greater than 48kHz over S/PDIF, and even if the TV would passthrough, it’d likely have no choice but to downsample before it could output HDMI high sample rate audio over S/PDIF.

True, I don’t have a HDMI input for receiver and I have either the direct optical or HDMISPDIF from TV.

The SPDIF input used to (older FW) be able to “play” 96 and 192 downsampled to 48 AND 88.2, 176.4 downsampled to 44.1.

Messages here where replied by WD that they are aware of problem, it is a Sigma software issue and they are working on it. The first “fix” after that killed the 88.2 and 176.4 completelly.

Now I hear that HDMI is “fixed” and you might be right about my TV downsampling the extracted digital, that’s why I was double checking.

I really don’t think is a hardware issue, at least not at 88 and 96! Sure, some optical transmitters cannot go past 100kHz, and that might be the case with WDTV. But they never said that it is a hardware issue in that aspect.

Anyway, HDCD encoded 44.1 passes unaffected thru optical SPDIF and thru HDMI->TV->SPDIF so that is good.

My receiver decodes DD, DTS, HDCD, AAC and DSD (last only from DenonLinkIII).

valente274 wrote:

It seems that’s impossible to WD engineers to fix something without broking anything else… Impossible, that’s it.

Why they don’t try one thing at a time. For example, why they don’t start to fix the auto frame rate issue that was broken with  this release.  After that, they could try the USB drives mounting issue, also created with this release. And so on…

Instead of that, we have to wait more 2/3 months until they fix all the new bugs released now. With the next release, we will have a couple important features broked, as well. It’s always the same… :angry:

Why the don’t came out with weekly firmwares…? Just one fix at a time. Maybe this way they could do it without broking features that are just working…

Please, do one thing at a time…

I couldn’t agree more. It is really frustrating waiting 2 months for a new firmware release only to have a bunch of previously working features break. I would much rather see WD fix one bug at a time but over a much shorter time frame. This approach would (presumably) reduce the likelihood of introducing new code bugs, and at the same time make it easier for WD’s in-house QA testers to validate each bug fix.

It looks like others have mentioned the USB Drive mounting issues, but just thought i would throw my personal experience into the mix - hopefully it may help find a solution.

I am using a WD TV Live player.

Performance when playing movies from my new Seagate 1TB external 2.5" drive was choppy, and would eventually crash.  I was on Firmware 1.04.  This was specific to the Seagate 1TB drive - my other drives (a mix of 500gb and 320gb drives) would work fine.

After upgrading to 1.06 the drive was not recognized at all by the WD TV Live player.

However, rolling back to 1.05 fixed all issues - movies play all the way through on the 1TB drive, without choppy performance, and the drive is now recognized.

So it appears that whatever USB compatability exists for 1TB drives was slightly broken in 1.04 was fixed in 1.05, then completely broken in 1.06.

NB: Given the size and weight of the drive, I suspect my 1TB Seagate external drive is actually a raid array of two 500gb drives.  Obviously I’m not going to crack it open and see, but i wonder if energy requirements is part of the mix.

I also confirm that “match video framerate” is not working (for me).

I have made rips of my DVD’s (to MKV container) and they have those idx/sub subtitles. Subtitles show correctly on my PC but WDTV plays some of them uncorrectly. Invisible letters with white borders. This only affects 20% of my rips. And some has white letters (as they should) but with no border lines (about 50% of the rest).That kind of text is so thin that it’s hard to read.

I have tried to fix the colors with BDSup2Sub.jar but with no success. I believe the fault is on WDTV and how it reads the color informations.

Odd & old behavior or a Bug? (should be fixed):

From the Home menu I select Video and then browse (Network shares) to my movies directory on my NAS. Then there is one folder for each movie (with folder.jpg and movie.mkv inside each of them).

When I select one folder and press Play it will only play the Picture (folder.jpg) and go back to the root directory where the movie folders are. This doesn’t happend with the USB connected drives.

I came to this directory from WDTV’s Video section, so this is a bug right, because it should only Play video files, right?

hey WD,

i absolut don’t understand, how you can release this buggy Firmware? Every serious developers test they Programs before release it to public!!! It must be a  shame for you!!!

And now? Must we wait 2 month again for a new and “better” release?

It seems 3d side-by-side is not supported anymore?

When I open a a 3D MKV that played fine a week ago, the WD TV Live says “unsupported format” :frowning:

RoofingGuy wrote:

Almost no TV on the market that I know of will pass the HDMI audio to the TV’s S/PDIF outputs.

The same thing happens with 5.1 audio… despite the TV being capable of decoding 5.1 audio from its tuner, and outputting it as 5.1 audio at the S/PDIF output, if you send it a 5.1 signal at the HDMI input, it doesn’t passthrough the signal to S/PDIF.

You’re presumably getting generic base stereo audio because that’s what the TV’s outputting, not because that’s what the WDTV is outputting.

If I understand your post correctly…

S/PDIF = Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format

I have a Philips tv and it does pass thru the HDMI-OUT 7.1/5.1 → HDMI-IN (TV) S/PDIF-OUT → S/PDIF-IN (Home Theater) and the incoming audio will be 5.1.

You stand for the idea that most tv’s don’t support this, right?

Xtreme wrote:

You stand for the idea that most tv’s don’t support this, right?

It’s not a matter of what I stand for… the TV manufacturers themselves say so on their websites and in their manuals.

The manuals end up saying things like:

SANYO :
“Dolby Digital 5.1 audio is available at the Digital Audio Output only when received as part of a Digital Antenna signal being viewed on the screen.”

JVC :
“No audio out on optical when using HDMI.”

TOSHIBA :
“The DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal may not output some digital audio sources because of copy restrictions.”

PIONEER :
"Note: When signals are input from the HDMI terminals, no signals are output from the DIGITAL OUT terminal if they are copy guarded.

SAMSUNG :
“[the digital terminal] outputs stereo only from HDMI sources.”

etc…

It appears to vary as to how their lawyers have interpreted the rules.  Some output NOTHING, some downmix to stereo, and a select few will pass the signal only if it doesn’t have the copy flag set (which is very few HDMI signals, especially from premium sources, from what I’ve been able to gather).  I’d never encountered a TV (or one’s manual) that claims it will ignore the protection flags and passthrough _ ALL _ incoming HDMI audio – especially since, as far as I can tell, that would be illegal.

It won’t be ilegal per se. It is maybe only a contractual requirement in the HDMI licensing agreement…

They could pass trough the core part of DTS, or the Dolby Digital, since that does NOT circumvent any protection (as described in DMCA). WD could even convert on the fly those 5.1 formats that are not supported by SPDIF to a standard 5.1 DD/DTS (like in some PC audio cards). That is if they would want to.

Instead they added games… I don’t know what deal they have with that company, but for me that is wasted real estate. Phones can do better games than that, I don’t need them on a media player!

Er… not trying to get off on a tangent, but…

If the HDMI stream is marked as “Copy Never”, how would it be anything but illegal for the downstream device to ignore the flag and pass the signal along anyways without downgrading it?  That is explicitly circumventing the copy control systems.  Which is why the TVs don’t do it.

That’s how the HDMI protections are supposed to work.  Through all the handshakes, any intermediary devices can pass the signal along, but the final HDMI device can’t pass it any further.  At least not in its HD form… it can degrade it or output analog.

The bigger question, that I’ve never gotten a satisfactory answer to, is why the WD devices appear to be setting the “Copy Never” flag for all audio, whether it’s required to be protected or not.  As far as I can tell, the Gen1 and Gen2 didn’t set the flag on their HDMI outputs.  I don’t know whether it’s required in order to provide HDCP signalling, or whether it was an oversight by WD.

But since several users have reported that with the same media file and the same TV, when played by their old Gen2, the TV would pass the DD/DTS over S/PDIF, but when played by their Live Plus the TV blocks the signal, it seems apparent that the “Copy Never” flag is being set for everything, for whatever reasons, and not just for things like Netflix which require HDCP to be used/enforced.

In other words, while some TVs can pass unflagged HDMI audio over their optical out to an AVR (but not all brands can/will), the WDTV is telling the TV that it is not allowed to passthrough the audio, so the TV either blocks it completely or downsamples/downmixes it.

And I’m guessing that even if the WDTV weren’t setting the “Copy Never” flag, that many/most TVs would lack the capability to output higher sample rates and their optical ports are capped at 48kHz… but that I don’t know for sure and I’m just grasping at straws in the dark.  Assumedly older TVs wouldn’t… the newest TVs very well could have newer, more expensive chips driving their outputs which are capable of sending higher sample rates.  It just doesn’t seem likely for a TV manufacturer to buy high-end chips when they know they can’t legally pass HD audio that comes in over HDCP HDMI – I’d think they’d buy the cheapest chips going.

hi

@xtreme re subtitles

• on screen of your tv check wd media player language options  - but language I mean second language subtitle options [wisible as Western or 1250 and others     and  not tle language version of whole navigation language system ]

regards

pawson

After update to the new firmware WD doesn’t see mediaserver. It’s Cisco E3000 AP with USB HDD.

Maybe I’m not technically up to scratch on this but… if a tv supports spdif out from an HDMI input doesn’t that mean that SACD discs can effectively be output via SPDIF?  Something that Sony were absolutely adamant should not happen (and in my opinion the biggest weakness of the format).

Have I got this right?

chris110761 wrote:

Maybe I’m not technically up to scratch on this but… if a tv supports spdif out from an HDMI input doesn’t that mean that SACD discs can effectively be output via SPDIF?  Something that Sony were absolutely adamant should not happen (and in my opinion the biggest weakness of the format).

Have I got this right?

Well, yes and no.

As far as I knew, the original SACD players only had analog outputs, so you could have easily converted the stereo analog to S/PDIF… it just wouldn’t be any better quality than any other stereo analog signal.  The S/PDIF signal would not have been the high-quality pure digital signal that SACD is capable of.

Once HDMI came along, it could be used because it supports encryption and other DRM.  An SACD player with an HDMI output is required to be setting the “Copy Never” flag along with the HDCP encryption for its output, so no, no HDMI device (whether a TV or anything else) can (legally) pass the pure digital signal in unencoded form… at best the downstream device can do is downconvert or output analog.  That goes for any protected signal, whether audio or video… it can’t be decrypted and remain HD digital – it either has to stay encrypted and head off to the next HDCP device, or decrypted and downgraded, or decrypted and converted to analog.

Sure, if you had an (illegal) HDMI device that did all the proper HDCP handshaking back to the SACD player, and then did the HDCP decryption, it could very easily pass on the unencrypted pure digital signal, either over HDMI or S/PDIF.  But you can’t just walk in to Best Buy and buy one.  If such a device even exists, you’ll be getting it at 2:00 am in some alley. :wink:

(ADD: And since Intel confirmed last fall that the published Master Key crack for HDCP appeared to be valid, it probably wouldn’t be overly difficult for some enterprising person, perhaps overseas, to incorporate the crack into a custom chip to drive such an illegal device… the roadblock is getting it into working chip form, not the HDCP encryption itself – chip design and production isn’t really a basement industry :wink: … Intel has certainly threatened DMCA action against anyone making such a device.)

Or, you could try and find an (illegal) SACD player that doesn’t encrypt the HDMI output.  But it won’t have the SACD logos or anything, since there’s no way Sony or Philips would licence such a device.

But, since all the TVs I know of, either won’t output anything ever over S/PDIF that comes in from HDMI, or definitely won’t pass a protected signal from HDMI, you’re not going to get a TV to pass the SACD as HD audio over S/PDIF from a legit player.  Sony’s still happy – the S/PDIF output will usually be silence, or at best a degraded LQ stereo signal… never a HD signal.

Horrible XviD / DivX Fast Forward and rewind performance here

- It behaves like freezing after you FF or Rewind. Mostly you need to press Pause and Play again.

- If not this it takes like 10 Seconds to continue the playback.

DVD 5 and DVD9 DVD ISOS do no longer play accurate.

- Sometimes you get no Menue,

-Sometimes the WD Freezes after you play one or another chapter.

- Sometimes the WD simply freezes and then reboots for no reason

- Audio with LPCM in DVD9 is stil more then extremely distorted

The above FF XviD Problems & DVD9 Problems are not appearing in 1.04.22 except the LPCM / ISO BUg which is since ages implented.

Its also no crappy ISOS or XviDs … its simply no longer working.

FReset done : Yes

To all people with network issues. I also see slow accessing times after updating to this latest version. I have QNAP NAS that use to work really fast with WDTV. I have restarted all my network devices and with no change to the issue. The NAS works really fast from my PC. WD should look if this is a bug in their latest firmware.

pawson wrote:

• on screen of your tv check wd media player language options  - but language I mean second language subtitle options [wisible as Western or 1250 and others     and  not tle language version of whole navigation language system ]

Thanks, but I have already played with all WDTV settings with no success. :cry:

Those setting are for the “text” based subtitles and not for the original “image” based one. Those DVD subtitles *.sub files are images and the *.idx files contain the information on “how” to show the images (contains the color settings).

So WDTV doesn’t seem to read the DVDs subtitle idx files correctly.

I have tried to edit those idx files, but have not succeeded to fix the color mixup.

Hi

I installed the latest version successfully (1.06.15)  but I observed an issue with external HDD detection, it takes a long time to be detected

My HDD size is 80 GB

I never faced this issue with the previous firmware versions