New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

Installed new FW yesterday without any problem. Download went quick. Unfortunately no Dutch available. It recognised my 3TB WD HD drive without any problem (no long flickering LED or something similar). Also no problems with playing files from network share on Mac.

This evening i will try all the different kinds of videofiles i have.

INstalled the FW in less then 10 mins. 

All working well. No issue at all.

I play 2 movies with these audio details, my Logitech is able to play TrueHD. How come? 

WD Live connect to TV is HDMI, to Logitech Z5500 is Optical.

AUDIO: 

Codec Language Bitrate Description 
----- -------- ------- ----------- 
Dolby TrueHD Audio English 1668 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1668 kbps 
/ 16-bit (AC3 Embedded: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps) 
Dolby Digital Audio Czech 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps 
Dolby Digital Audio Hungarian 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps 
Dolby Digital Audio Polish 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps 
Dolby Digital Audio English 192 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps 
/ Dolby Surround

spoonman wrote:> OK… Ignore where it says VLC… It works on 5 other players, but NOT on the WD LIve AND it worked last month.

If you are going to defend Wester Digital at least make some effort to help others who support them and buy their products… I.E.: Me…

Perhaps you should also read more posts before you accuse me of not making some effort to help people with their problems. I am not defending WD I was simply pointing out the fact that you cannot make comparisons between software and hardware players.

Why not start a new thread with your problem and post the mediainfo for the files that don’t play. Did the files stop playing when you updated the firmware? What are the 5 other players?

Is that being helpful enough? 

after update, I cant connect to my windows 2008 server shared drive.

reverting it back to 1.5.04

unless I’m doing something different, why is 1.06 can’t connect to my network?

Installed the new Version. I’ve noticed, there is a new option in the settings for the Video output. Now it seems to be possible to let the wdlive changes the resolution. This is a . But i want HDMI, display resolution (auto), color spacve (auto) and match video framerate (NO). Because my panasonic tv detects the framerate and switches the panel to the right one. Now the change of match video framerate between on and off has no effect. The resolution stands always at 1080p/60. But ive some movies with 1080/24 and movies from a digicam with another one. the previous firmware let the tv change his to the right one. now i have to change it manually in the wdlive. that’s bad.

Something got broke with the net shares with 1.06.15V!! The specific problem I’m having is getting the new firmware to recognize the DNS server when using a wireless adapter. IF I use a wire or the livewire everything works fine but my Belkin wireless adapter just WON"T work with the new firmware…So I just gave up and rolled back to 1.05!!

bad update, bad support,

is for me the last WD product!

EccLipSe wrote:

After upgrade there is very important bug on my side,

I always use network shares on my home. WD and shared Hdd on same network connected via ethernet cable. It was perfect until i update to this firmware(1080p mkv movies playedback without any problem with older firmware). WD responses very slow anymore. when i press stop it stops in 2 seconds. When i press FF it starts to fast forward after 2 seconds. Subtitle timing is not proper. When i connect it directly to wd subtitles are ok. but in networkshares subtitles late and very quickly disappears. it seems network share function very buggy anymore…

I confirm. This is exactly what happens here also with the latest version.

• Access delays (usually 2-120 seconds)

• Playback/Stop/FF delays (2 sec)

• Small Subtitle delay (wasn’t before with any of the older releases)

I’m not 100% sure if this was reported on one of the previous 23 pages, but…

With the new firmware, it takes a second or so for the audio to start playing after un-pausing the video.  This occurs at least for DD and DTS.  I rolled back to 1.05.04 and things go back to normal, with the audio playing immediately after the video is un-paused.

Visor

I’m still on 1.04.22 but coincidentally noticed this same issue just a couple of days ago (AAC stream was stereo by the way).  Interestingly, doing a quick remux  into an mkv container using mkvmerge fixes the problem, even though the codec details remain identical in the mkv file!> Long ago I got into the habit of doing the above remux on all mp4s because of sync/stutter problems in older firmware (1.0.11).  Although those issues have been fixed, it looks like I still can’t trust mp4s completely so I’ll continue remuxing to mkv - only takes a couple of minutes.> * * *
spoonman wrote:

I’m now getting UNSUPPORTED FORMAT

for certain MP4 files

Here are the codec details of the files that are now not playing.

Stream 0
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Resolution: 480x360
Frame Rate: 30

Stream 1
Audio: MPEG AAC (mp4a)

skinsman wrote:

I’m still on 1.04.22 but coincidentally noticed this same issue just a couple of days ago (AAC stream was stereo by the way).  Interestingly, doing a quick remux  into an mkv container using mkvmerge fixes the problem, even though the codec details remain identical in the mkv file!> Long ago I got into the habit of doing the above remux on all mp4s because of sync/stutter problems in older firmware (1.0.11).  Although those issues have been fixed, it looks like I still can’t trust mp4s completely so I’ll continue remuxing to mkv - only takes a couple of minutes.> * * *
spoonman wrote:

I’m now getting UNSUPPORTED FORMAT

for certain MP4 files

Here are the codec details of the files that are now not playing.

Stream 0
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Resolution: 480x360
Frame Rate: 30

Stream 1
Audio: MPEG AAC (mp4a)

Oh yeah? Thanks for the info, but I actually bought the WDLive to keep from having to tweak all of my files to get them to play. I used to remux all of my 1080p files to get them to work on my PS3 so I don’t really want to go through all of that again.

Another problem that I thought was first do to lag on my network (wired ethernet), but now I know it’s the WDLive.

When turning on the WDLive and click on Video/Network it takes about 3 minutes before the shared network drives pop up. For the first minute it shows NO CONNECTIONS, Then it just sort of does nothing. Then after a bunch more tries it will finally show the shares. It never used to be this slow!

I really wish WD would stop adding useless stuff like “Games” and fixe important things like being able to successfully play MEDIA without all of these hiccups… It is a “media player” after all.

It’s making me more and more want to just sell it off and buy a small PC setup and run XBMC on it.

Firmware Version 1.06.15_V  is an unstable piece of garbage.when will western digital actually hire programmers to write a proper firmware rather than relying on a high school computer class to come up with this **bleep** firmware that they keep trying to pass off as a stable release.count me as another unhappy customer who will be rolling back the firmware and never again buying any wd products

How does one load this system???

Mate, can you please put your question more clearly - then someone might be able to help. > * * *
AussieCookie wrote:

How does one load this system???

So the WD live is giving me a headache…

I updated from 1.03.47 to the latest firmware and I keep getting ( just like the firmware that followed after 1.03.47) stuttering when playing 1080P and 720P material over my wired network.

When I use 1.03,47 no troubles, but every firmware after that one things go wrong.

I tried:

Resetting ( holding the little pin for 5 sec until the wd reboots), reseting to factory defaults from the wd menu, clearing the wd  folders on my Windows 7 share and unplugging the power for 10 minutes…

My setup:

Linksys router,Samsung full HD tv, windows 7 premium 64 bit OS.

Anyone got ideas to fix the stuttering ???

I met the same problem last night. However, I waited a bit longer and I can see my drive. So the solution you should do is just to wait a bit longer. OR downgrade your firmware to the previous version.

Good luck

I met the same problem last night. You can just wait a bit longer so that your usb drives will be recognized.

OR you can downgrade the firmware. Just search in the forum and you will see downgrade procedure.

Good luck.

Hello WD

I still have a problem with the subtitles: if I want to switch languages ​​while I’m watching movies I can not see what language I choose ( i use ISO files)

joels wrote:

1.04.22 (in my opinion)  is the best version since 1.02.10.

Just what I needed to know! This current version is driving me crazy. So - can anyone show me the definitive steps to performing a proper downgrade to 1.04.22? I have tried all sorts of non-sense in the past from papercliping that little swicth on the side to un-plugging cables to who know what.

Could anyone list the actual steps they perform in the preferred order so I could take a step back and try 1.04.22? Up to this debacle with 1.06 - I only ever had 1.02.21 (I think) on my uniit. Appreciate any tips you can pass along.

Cheers,

VP

Vocalpoint wrote:

joels wrote:

1.04.22 (in my opinion)  is the best version since 1.02.10.

Just what I needed to know! This current version is driving me crazy. So - can anyone show me the definitive steps to performing a proper downgrade to 1.04.22? I have tried all sorts of non-sense in the past from papercliping that little swicth on the side to un-plugging cables to who know what.

Could anyone list the actual steps they perform in the preferred order so I could take a step back and try 1.04.22? Up to this debacle with 1.06 - I only ever had 1.02.21 (I think) on my uniit. Appreciate any tips you can pass along.

Cheers,

VP

Joels,

I’m a user like u. I tried to downgrade successfully. So here I want to share:

1. Extract your 1.04.22 firmware to your usb flash drive.

2. Go to that flash drive and edit a file .ver     In this file just replace the version number with a higher version number of your current firmware in your WD TV. In this case should be 1.06.16_V  is enough.

3. Insert your usb flash drive and update the firmware. Then that’s all.

Good luck